Engine bay detail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cleaned the engine bay in the Matrix and Camry for the first time in 12 yrs/5yrs since they were filthy. So much better having a clean bay to check fluids levels/top offs/work on etc. Afterwards it was a pleasant surprise popping the hood and seeing a clean engine bay. Used some Gunk HD degreaser that was so-so. When it warms up I will use some Fantastic Scrubbing Bubbles HD APC for $3. I saw a thread on the Accord forum about it and looks pretty impressive. I'll post a link later unless someone does a google search for, "driveaccord.net engine bay cleaning fantastic scrubbing bubbles".

Great and thanks for posting. There are a number of different Scrubbing Bubbles products so I would only get the one mentioned. Esp, don't want one with bleach in it.

Agreed no bleach. I might do half the engine bay with degreaser and then rinse that side then apply fantastic bubbles to other side then rinse and see the difference

This was after a quick wipedown with Zep's Purple Degreaser and dressed with Meguiars All Season Dressing on the old Jetta. Been using the stuff for years; it goes a long ways. I think I've had the same gallon for a couple years.

20170205_131740_zpsj6sa3j7p.jpg

Don't forget to clean the hood too folks! Really helps to add a coat of wax.

20170205_125851_zpsx30ztilq.jpg

Unfortunately the GTI has a hood insulator, so not much to detail there... I generally don't like to spray any water under the hood. It's more of a PITA, but I'll use an old microfiber and old detail brushes to get them clean.

I cleaned the engine bay on the Accord today. I never let it get too dirty to begin with so its never much of a chore to clean. I simply sprayed on a warm water / dish soap mixture, let it dwell for a minute or two then used a clean cotton hand towel to agitate the dirt and grime. Then I hosed everything down and dried with an electric leaf blower followed by a light application of 303.

Nice job you guys! i have ideas for my engine bay just keep throwing your choices for chemicals out there...great read!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I keep the inside and paint very well, but generally avoid detailing underhood. All i need is to ruin an electric component... is that unnecessary fear?

A garden hose in not necessary. A pressure washer opens up many doors to stupidity. If you are smart and have the preparation, and restraint then I guess you could pressure wash it. But you probably should know where to spray, is the engine hot or cold, how close can you get, how to dry it afterwards, any water left that can puddle up and cause rust on down the line, etc, etc

Using a hose or pressure washer ONLY (IMO) speeds things up. If you don't use a heavy hand or erratic motions then you are almost set. Know which chemicals are ok. Dont be careless and bump into delicated fuel and electronic connectors and such. So, if you just use cloths and spray bottles you can eliminate some of the danger of water.

If you have time just put on some safety glasses, pop the hood and get a water dampened soft cloth (microfiber) and clean. Then, maybe add some drops of car soap to the bottle......then a little armor all here and there. Wax the painted areas, grease or oil on moving metals. Just don't mess up, get in a hurry, be too rough, use the wrong chemicals!

Liking these clean engine pics. Whenever I bring in a vehicle for maintenance or repair I give the engine bay a quick clean with engine degreaser, simple green and a good water nozzle. Especially after valve cover gasket replacements the engine smells clean and not reeking of burnt oil.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
A garden hose in not necessary. A pressure washer opens up many doors to stupidity. If you are smart and have the preparation, and restraint then I guess you could pressure wash it. But you probably should know where to spray, is the engine hot or cold, how close can you get, how to dry it afterwards, any water left that can puddle up and cause rust on down the line, etc, etc

Exactly. It can work if one is careful. It reminds me of a fellow I knew some years back with an old Mazda truck, rusting away, but he'd pressure wash under the hood every couple weeks. Each time he did it, he wouldn't cover the distributor, and he'd be waiting half an hour to an hour to get the thing going again, and even then, only with a major fight.

The amount of time he spent waiting and trying compressed air and air in a can, he could have collected enough bottles on the side of the road to pay for a new distributor cap.
wink.gif

I detailed my engine at 1am this morning, couldn't sleep. I've never sprayed water to clean the motor instead, I use Air blaster blower first to blow the dust and sand off and then I wipe everything down with Meguiars APC mixed with a bucket of water.

I would love to learn how to clean an engine bay / engine safely - I'm just concerned I would be ignorant and end up getting water in somewhere I shouldn't ! I'm sure I'm not alone ...

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I would love to learn how to clean an engine bay / engine safely - I'm just concerned I would be ignorant and end up getting water in somewhere I shouldn't ! I'm sure I'm not alone ...

Just be gentle with the water. Does not need to be a pressure washer. Heck water in a spray bottle would work and just do a section at a time with a tag.

Originally Posted By: stang5
I detailed my engine at 1am this morning, couldn't sleep. I've never sprayed water to clean the motor instead, I use Air blaster blower first to blow the dust and sand off and then I wipe everything down with Meguiars APC mixed with a bucket of water.

Loving the Mustang

Originally Posted By: Brolly
Originally Posted By: stang5

Loving the Mustang

Nice!

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

Use common sense, and care and you'll be fine. Use as little water and as little pressure as needed to get the job done. Wrap anything you're afraid of getting water into with plastic wrap and duct tape. Lots of how to's on the web, it isn't hard. If the engine is fairly clean already you can do it with rags and your favorite cleaning product, and no hose at all. I tape off the coil packs [if possible] if I'm going to use the hose, and avoid spraying water at them. I'd rather not get water down the tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back