Engine bay detail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people are pigs , plain and simple. You can tell a lot about a person by checking out the interior of their car. A dirty, disorganized and trashed car interior is usually reflective of most other aspects of the owner's life in general. Car interior's wear over time and that is 100% understandable, but there is zero excuse for a driving around in a dirty trashed car interior.

Last edited:
My grandmother used to say How you keep your car is how you keep yourself.
I bought my dads old F150 that he had for 15 years and I swear he never cleaned or washed it. It had years of coffee on the dash and dirt from going to the ranch for years. I found receipts from 2009 in there. I cant get it perfect, and I wont because its not worth it really, but it's many times cleaner than its been since he got it. Luckily, he changed the oil pretty regularly, but thats about it. I'll say this, some people just dont give a darn about their car. My dad for example has a clean home and his real hobby is tropical fish and birds. Those bird cages and fish tanks look nice. His 2013 F150? not so, but it also has a light colored interior which doesnt help.

Last edited:
I am liking this thread too much. Here is my 2010 mazda 3 I was able to dig up. This is with 71k miles on it.I think this was using the CD2 engine detailer

upload by JOHN, on Flickr

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brolly
I dont have a before and after engine bay but I do have a full inside detail I performed of a recent trade in at the dealership I work at.

That is horrendous. It's hard for me to imagine the type of person that would let this happen.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Some people are pigs , plain and simple. You can tell a lot about a person by checking out the interior of their car. A dirty, disorganized and trashed car interior is usually reflective of most other aspects of the owner's life in general. Car interior's wear over time and that is 100% understandable, but there is zero excuse for a driving around in a dirty trashed car interior.

+1!

Looks great. Quite a bit cleaner under the hood than my Camry. And mine isn't too bad. At least I don't think so, I haven't driven it in over a month.

Wow, that is some transformation! Looks amazing.

Like you, I like to keep my engine bay clean and shiny. I used to work at a dealership many years ago, and although it's just a feeling, I think that mechanics appreciate and respect a well cared for car. When mine goes in the shop it is clean and waxed and the engine bay looking near new. I get compliments from the service advisors to the mechanics, which is nice, especially when you are driving a 12 year old car.

E150GT,

Thanks, underhood before and afters are so cool.

Good point Brolly. After a time or two of protectant, just using plain water or a water bottle with a few drops of car soap is probably best.

Originally Posted By: Brolly
I dont have a before and after engine bay but I do have a full inside detail I performed of a recent trade in at the dealership I work at.

Very nice work!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I am liking this thread too much. Here is my 2010 mazda 3 I was able to dig up. This is with 71k miles on it.I think this was using the CD2 engine detailer

upload by JOHN, on Flickr

Soo clean clean. Nice job E150GT

Originally Posted By: cashmoney

I use to have a manager that would interview people and after the interview he would walk them out and look in their car to see how clean it was.

I keep the inside and paint very well, but generally avoid detailing underhood. All i need is to ruin an electric component... is that unnecessary fear?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I keep the inside and paint very well, but generally avoid detailing underhood. All i need is to ruin an electric component... is that unnecessary fear?

Not really unnecessary fear, it will keep you out of trouble if you do decide to clean the engine. I mask off things I don't want to soak with water. A little care and common sense, and a few extra minutes will assure you that you're not going to have any problems.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I once drove my old 1982 Mercedes diesel through an automated car wash and as soon as the undercarriage spray went on my alternator light turned on and it was toast. No telling how old it was then. I've also experienced wet wires on my truck that caused hesitation after washing the engine but that cleared up.
My rule is to never use high pressure water spray and if something is being stubborn, use a brush to clean over pressure from water.

if high pressure spray causes any issues, the car has underlie problems. Modern vehicles are tested against pressure spray and use the most effective sealed connectors available...generally hesitation afterwords is caused by a faulty coil, failing wire arching out etc.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
if high pressure spray causes any issues, the car has underlie problems. Modern vehicles are tested against pressure spray and use the most effective sealed connectors available...generally hesitation afterwords is caused by a faulty coil, failing wire arching out etc.

perhaps that is correct but I dont use high pressure because why take a chance with damaging something expensive when low pressure will do? Two of my cars are over 22 years old. One is 34 years old. The wiring is not in the same shape it used to be when new. Theres not a ton of electrical on my mercedes due to it being diesel, but the vacuum lines are important and the same with my truck. I dont want to disturb a vacuum line and cause any issue that are hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back