Eneos CVT fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changes the CVT fluid in my car on Monday... I used this Eneos CVT fluid that us full synthetic. My car had gotten a bit loud in the past couple of weeks at low speed. The fluid that drained out actually did have some metallic shimmer to it as it was on my hand... That was note worthy because the first time I did a drain and refill it did not have that. The car has been quieter than it was before I added the Eneos CVT fluid. I am very impressed with this fluid. I am going to do another drain and refill in a couple of weeks... The other drain and refill had about 5k miles on it. I bet the first drain and refill did do some cleaning and that is why I saw what I saw on my hand as it drained out. The car is running quieter at low speed and accelerates very well.
[Linked Image]

2008 Nissan Altima VQ 3.5 two door coupe...

288,000+ miles... Original CVT in it.

Originally Posted by bbhero
2008 Nissan Altima VQ 3.5 two door coupe...

288,000+ miles... Original CVT in it.

That's great to hear. I've always read the horror stories about people's JATCO CVTs going bad just after that 100,000mi mark.

What fluid change intervals have you typically done to get you to 288k mi? Have you changed any of the transmission's filters?

I've been doing 30,000mi or 3 year drain and fills with my Mitsubishi that has a JATCO CVT in it.

Being perfectly honest...

The first transmission fluid change was at 283,500 miles... Used Castrol Transmax CVT fluid in that first time early October...

Of note is here is my typical operation conditions... A whole, whole, whole lot of open highway driving... Like 98 percent of the miles and time the car has seen that. And it is not super hot in my area but 3-4 months of a year. In fact my area has not had widespread temps over 100°F hardly at all in the past 7 years.

So the car has seen the best operating conditions throughout it's time.

Last edited:
Good that there are more options to the too expensive Nissan NS2. I have been using Pennzoil Platinum CVT2 fluid in my Maxima, I found a MSDS online for the Nissan NS2 that showed the producer of the fluid was SOPUS, which is Shell = Pennzoil.

The Pennzoil CVT2 is green just like the Nissan stuff. Eneos is also very good.

I wish I could have found that Pennzoil CVT-2 fluid... I would have gotten that if it was available.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. At least from your anecdote, it would seem that city miles clearly take a pretty severe toll on CVTs. I'll keep that in mind when considering my highway/city driving percentages on when to change next. I'll probably stick with the 30,000mi / 3yr interval for the time being as I probably do 70% highway and 30% city.

A lot of folks had luck with the Valvoline fluid also at a low cost. It the friction modifier and anti foamant that are critical. for the pusher link belt.

The oil the dealer put in my car in a complete drain and refill was not as good as factory and it foamed a lot. I also suspect they did some reporgramming as it revved up a lot more than before the service.

The level may have been a tad high but the year of my trans has the submerged pusher belt that causes foaming. The later jatco CVT8 trans have the belt out of the sump, IIRC

BBHero. your trans as at end of life. I think you are good. Noo need to do another drain and fill.

Unless it makes you feel better.

Maybe a nice surf and turf dinner out would make you feel even better-er
smile.gif

Originally Posted by shrooms
I tried this once with the Civic. It hated it.

Back to Honda CVT fluid. Perfect.

You tried the Eneos Eco CVT, or another the Eneos Model H fluid?

Model H

Eco CVT

Last edited:
bb- I would do some research on your CVT. It may have a return line filter mounted behind the fluid cooler.

That's awesome to hear. How much is the Pennzoil per qt?

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Good that there are more options to the too expensive Nissan NS2. I have been using Pennzoil Platinum CVT2 fluid in my Maxima, I found a MSDS online for the Nissan NS2 that showed the producer of the fluid was SOPUS, which is Shell = Pennzoil.

Originally Posted by D1dad
That's awesome to hear. How much is the Pennzoil per qt?

Originally Posted by KGMtech

It was about $13 CAD per bottle, got it from a Shell distributor in the Toronto area.

I'm confused.

Original fluid = no issues
One drain and refill with Castrol CVT fluid = metal shavings and loud noises
One drain and refill with Eneos CVT fluid = all issues resolved?

Originally Posted by The Critic
I'm confused.

Original fluid = no issues
One drain and refill with Castrol CVT fluid = metal shavings and loud noises
One drain and refill with Eneos CVT fluid = all issues resolved?

Well.... Not exactly...

Here's what happened and what I believe may have happened...

Castrol CVT transmission fluid put in...
Was fine at first... After about 3 weeks I noticed a bit more noise at low speed at times...

Made the executive decision to try the Eneos CVT fluid...

When I drained it the 2nd time... I did notice some shimmer in the oil on my hand... Definitely caught my attention... My theory is that the Castrol Transmax CVT fluid may well have done some cleaning.... It was definitely warm and operating temp when I drained it the 2nd time.. though it was likely close or really close to warmed up operation temp the first time too... I don't believe the Castrol Transmax CVT fluid did anything "bad"... It just likely "cleaned up" somethings.

Put the Eneos CVT fluid in... Definitely quieter... At low speeds...

I just took a 400 mile drive across Virginia yesterday... Up to the mountains and back... Car did great. And I won't scared about anything...

I think the Castrol Transmax CVT fluid is a fine and good CVT fluid...

I just wanted to try the Eneos CVT fluid based upon some more reading up on it... It does seem to be just a bit more specific to cars made by companies from Japan...

Obviously there has to still be a fair amount of Castrol CVT fluid still in my car... I got 4 qts and 8 ozs put each time... So there is still a fair amount of it in there. The fluid on the stick is definitely not easy to see now... Which is a good thing I think.

Last edited:
Well just did another drain and refill on the car... Used the Eneos CVT fluid in it a 2nd time. 4 qts and 8 ozs out and put back in... It is done and completed as far as I see it.
Car runs very well... Though that CVT fluid really smells some kinda bad
lol.gif

Sorry if I missed it, but what color is this eneos fluid? Green like NS-2?

I assume you mail ordered it? Cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back