End of the line for the Airbus A380

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously Emirates utilized the 380 well considering their plan for Dubai as a central hub and with unlimited finances to boot. If you take that one airline out of the equation the 380 story changes drastically.

I am in the mindset that many of the smaller national airlines bought the 380 as a status symbol. Thai, Malaysia, Qantas, etc. Many if not all of these airlines are getting rid of them as fast as they can.

The early 380's had some issues. I read a few times about the Qantas 380s that had plumbing leaks that would literally shower down on the lower deck passengers. These were costly as the plane had to be dried out and electronics checked etc. This was not a quick maintenance job. If a 380 goes tech, it's not like another one could be brought up to take over unless you had quite a few. Lufthansa seems to use them well though.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I read a few times about the Qantas 380s that had plumbing leaks that would literally shower down on the lower deck passengers.

And there was the well-publicized engine failures on QF's A380s that got Rolls-Royce in trouble, or so I've read. EK(Emirates' IATA code) isn't happy with their newest RR-powered A380s right now, Dubai isn't a hospitable place for machinery and their Trent 900-powered A380s are having more engine issues compared to their EA(GE & Pratt) powered ones due to dirt ingestion eating through the seals.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by IndyFan
I wouldn't call it a failure unless Airbus lost money on the aircraft as a whole. If in the end it turned a profit, then it is a success.
Hmmm, we'll have to disagree on this one.
As we all know, capital is limited and scarce.
The only appropriate use of capital for any enterprise is to maximize profits.
The measuring bar for success is whether or not the capital expended maximized profits in the given time frame.

In other words, did they make the most they could of the money they invested?
I think the answer here is a pretty clear 'No', therefore the product was not a success.
Yes, they may very well make money on it, but they certainly didn't maximize the use of their scarce and limited capital.

I'll grab my MBA degree on my way out the door, thanks....

This line of thought is the reason why businesses are always trying to pinch every penny which destroys it customer and employee base.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by ABursell
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I have heard that even way back when Boeing first started penning the 747, they designed it to be a cargo plane from the get-go. In case the passenger program failed, they would still have the cargo market. Not sure if this is true, but sounds like the kind of shrewd decision they would make.

If true, then Airbus made a gamble that even Boeing was unwilling to fully commit to 50 years ago. That's a bad sign.

If I recall correctly, the 747 was originally part of the competition for a large military cargo plane, which ended up with the C-5 being the winner, however Boeing decided to move forward anyway.

That leads to one of the interesting features of the 747F (and C-5), the nose cargo door. I have long thought the lack of possibility for a nose door in the A380 would be a limiting factor, wonder how much of a part that might have played in the lack of freighter program.

Yes. The 747 was designed to compete for the USAF Large Cargo Aircraft. Boeing lost to Lockheed. The USAF thought Boeing's design was better, but Lockheed had the lower cost proposal, which then had huge cost overruns...leading to Congressional hearings...

Joe Sutter (lead engineer on the project) was told that if he could make it into a passenger airplane, and they could sell just 50 of them, Boeing could recoup the R&D cost of the LCA competition. Boeing didn't get any money from the USAF for their work on LCA, despite all the rhetoric to the contrary. It was a bid for a contract, plain and simple. They had lost money, and were looking to get some of that cost back.

They kept the high cockpit design of their LCA competitor, because they really didn't know if the 747 would make it in the passenger world, and wanted to be able to resell it as a cargo plane.

Pan-Am ordered 25 of them in 1966. They were delivered in 1969, about 27 months later. A very short development time, and manufacturing facilities had to be built to handle the jumbo. It was a huge financial risk for Boeing - to build something that was more than twice the size of the 707, without knowing if there was a market, or not, beyond Pan-Am's initial order.

The airplane that Boeing wasn't sure about ended up revolutionizing air travel, and 50 years later is still flying, having sold over 1,500 airplanes.

If you want to read a great book on engineering and aircraft manufacturing, read "747" by Joe Sutter.

Read Sutter's book and found it very interesting.
Boeing assigned him to the 747 program because they considered him a second stringer.
The varsity guys got assigned to the stillborn 2707 program.
The 747 very nearly killed Boeing, but over the years the type proved very profitable as many carriers bought it, or at least the -400 model.
Boeing bet the company on the 707 and then again a few years later on the 727.
The 737 was not such a gamble and is still paying off in developments built fifty years later.
The 757/767 program was and remains a triumph of engineering expertise while the 777 is that plus.
The 787 has matured into a really fine airliner but whether Boeing can actually make any money on it remains to be seen.
Nobody designs and develops airliners as well as Boeing does.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by PimTac
I read a few times about the Qantas 380s that had plumbing leaks that would literally shower down on the lower deck passengers.

And there was the well-publicized engine failures on QF's A380s that got Rolls-Royce in trouble, or so I've read. EK(Emirates' IATA code) isn't happy with their newest RR-powered A380s right now, Dubai isn't a hospitable place for machinery and their Trent 900-powered A380s are having more engine issues compared to their EA(GE & Pratt) powered ones due to dirt ingestion eating through the seals.

Yes, I didn't even mention that including the Qantas Flight 32 incident that could have been disastrous. That particular airplane was out of service for some time. They also discovered the micro cracks in the wings around that same time.

The story of QF32 is quite a read. A great team effort by the Qantas flight deck crew considering the massive workload they had to go through to get that plane back to Singapore safely.

It's an interesting read for many reasons. The crew did a great job. The damage (severing) done to the wiring bundles by the thrown turbine blades made for a very difficult, almost incomprehensible, set of warnings in the cockpit. The things we take for granted: engine control, accurate instrumentation among them, were taken out by those cut wires.

But the crew remained calm, held overhead while they worked the problem and then made an uneventful landing.

Interesting read 4WD. Thanks for sharing.

Etihad is at the edge of the abyss at this very moment. I'm not sure how much longer they will fly. We don't hear much about Qatar Airlines. I wonder how they are doing financially?

The A380 is now officially NLA.
The remaining orders will be built out and the line then repurposed.
Rather sad.
Had the aircraft been optimized for its original 388 size, it could have been far more efficient and maybe remain viable.
Airbus thought that the market would be there for an even bigger model, so the aircraft was designed and built as what was effectively a shrink, never the route to efficiency.
That the bulk of the order book was with a notoriously fickle airline that no maker could afford to offend given their apparently bottomless pockets sealed the fate of this program.
It should be noted that both Airbus and Boeing forecast a demand for more than a thousand aircraft of this size through 2020.
This failed to materialize by an order of magnitude, as did Boeing's forecast of new-build freighter demand for the 747-8F, so both of these programs proved to be loss-making dead ends, with Boeing losing far less than Airbus, having invested far less in updating an old airframe.
As I noted above, these will be the last four engine civil transports built, so truly the end of an era.
I can well remember that my first airline flight was on an American 707, non-stop CLE-LAX. Boarded with airstairs in Cleveland, but LAX had jet bridges.
The airplane was less than half full and cigarettes were passed out with the meals. The lavs had individually wrapped bars of soap.
I was all of eight years old. Truly a different era.

From an air traffic perspective, they're a pain in the $% to handle. Lots of enroute aircraft request vectors to offset from their from their paths by 10-15+ miles, even when crossing under them by the required 1000ft. Most light jets want to be stopped 2000ft or more under them for extra wake separation. And when sequencing miles-in-trail, they become an even larger headache. I won't be sad to see the production stopped.

You a controller?
I wouldn't think you'd handle very many A380s in Fly-over country.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
You a controller?

They do have to fly over somewhere to get to their destination. I am guessing that Dallas and Houston have 380 operations. Atlanta? Chicago?

Not too many airports in the US have 380 flights. LAX and SFO I know on the west coast. JFK on the east. There may be a few others.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
You a controller?

In and out of the Texas markets every day as well as Mexico. And depending on the jet, out of the Cali markets eastbound. But yes, comparatively speaking, I see only a handfull compared to SFO or JFK, yet they still cause us a hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back