Electric as opposed to vacuum boosted brakes?

JTK

My new to me 2022 Nissan Frontier has this. Best I can tell, it serves as ABS function as well. I'm assuming this is a trend as things go electric or maybe it's for greater computer control.

I recall Buick Grand Nationals having some type of non-vacuum, hydro-boosted brakes back in the 1980s..

Any other BITOGers own a non-turbo, run-o-the-mill vehicles with this as well?

3Gbo1atl.jpg

XQvL4GWl.jpg

R4700060___L_202121.png

Some hybrids like the Volt have an electric vacuum pump for the brake booster. At least that's what I think I hear running when I push the brakes a few times with the engine off.

Reactions: JTK
Makes sense. If you can make or incorporate existing systems into it that makes less stuff to mess up.

GM used a charge pump in their AWD Stabilitrac systems to make that function. I think later they had the ABS system incorporate this instead of a separate pump. The Tahoe I had with AWD that also used a hydro boost brake booster with all this other stuff.

GM's latest system is called eBoost. It is a "brake-by-wire" system that has the master cylinder, booster (electric, not vacuum), ABS hydraulic unit, and ABS ECU all integrated into a single unit. Under normal operation, stepping on the brake pedal does not directly generate fluid pressure. The brake pedal position is read as an input and the system responds by generating and distributing fluid pressure as necessary and providing appropriate feedback through the brake pedal.

As models are refreshed, it's becoming pretty ubiquitous across their lineup but it was introduced on the Corvette and full-size trucks in 2019 and full-size SUVs in 2020.

My new to me 2022 Nissan Frontier has this. Best I can tell, it serves as ABS function as well. I'm assuming this is a trend as things go electric or maybe it's for greater computer control.

I recall Buick Grand Nationals having some type of non-vacuum, hydro-boosted brakes back in the 1980s..

3Gbo1atl.jpg

XQvL4GWl.jpg

R4700060___L_202121.png

Not a new concept though I'm sure the design has evolved.

Very common on 2000s GM 1/2 ton Tahoe Suburban and about all of the 3/4 trucks/SUVs. Hydroboost.

Power steering system feeds the hydro-boost assisted master cylinder. I have always liked how hydro-boost brakes felt. I am assuming the weight of these trucks they need the help? Or does an LS not have enough vacuum at idle? I do not know.

Very common on 2000s GM 1/2 ton Tahoe Suburban and about all of the 3/4 trucks/SUVs. Hydroboost.

Power steering system feeds the hydro-boost assisted master cylinder. I have always liked how hydro-boost brakes felt. I am assuming the weight of these trucks they need the help? Or does an LS not have enough vacuum at idle? I do not know.
Hydroboost goes way back, it's a heavy duty thing-- not exclusive to LS engines.

If I understand it correctly on this Chrysler of Japan system (Nissan), brake fluid is the medium used for the boost /assist?

My pics aren't good, but that cylinder off to the side cautions that it has nitrogen gas under pressure. I'm assuming it's like a shock absorber or dampener of some sort.

Either which way, the brakes are excellent on the truck. If it's very quiet in the cab, you can detect a whirring noise from this brake system when in use.

If I understand it correctly on this Chrysler of Japan system (Nissan), brake fluid is the medium used for the boost /assist?

My pics aren't good, but that cylinder off to the side cautions that it has nitrogen gas under pressure. I'm assuming it's like a shock absorber or dampener of some sort.

Either which way, the brakes are excellent on the truck. If it's very quiet in the cab, you can detect a whirring noise from this brake system when in use.

I presume the primary assist is done by the variable electric pump that pressurized the system based on brake pedal position. The cylinder under pressure is probably for panic stops to provide instant assistance and compensate for pump delay.

I know BMW motorcycles use servo assisted brakes, but don’t have a pressure tank, most likely due to very small fluid displacement in the system, when compared to an automotive one.

• Helpful

3Gbo1atl.jpg

XQvL4GWl.jpg

R4700060___L_202121.png

Mitsubishi Pajero had a system like this for ages

Electric brake boosters are here today partly because a computer needs to be able to apply the brakes. Bosch makes one called the iBoost. Also, to avoid the need for a vacuum pump in an electric car.

Back