Effectively fitting a Roof Rack to an 8th Gen. Corolla ('98-'02)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please view the attached graphic... and perhaps magnify it for better review. I refer to the green line... in which I attempt to show that the drip-edge on my Corolla protrudes below the underside of the roof profile where you would hope that it were flat. The roof rack then (if it were flat) would have good, solid "purchase" to a structurally solid part of the roof... and so you could tighten-down the rack with full confidence.

My graphic shows a red cross-section element... added to the "hook adapter leg" of the roof rack... say, with a 'wee bit of vinyl or compressible material on its top, so that it does not grate against the underside of the roof profile on the car. This latter bit of vinyl is NOT shown on the graphic.

Can I ask folks to comment on whether anyone else has had this issue or is worried about the design of the roof (and the rack)... making a roof rack fit poorly or insubstantially? I do note that the types of roof rack that are designed for a car with a drip edge.... do NOT fit the Corolla, 'cuz the gap between drip edge and the rest of the top of the roof profile is so narrow (and they, too, have this SAME problem with the drip-edge protruding below). I could be wrong with this... but this is my impression.

I certainly do note that the red element would have to be a minimal thickness... to JUST allow the green element to clear... lest the door frames foul the hook adapter tower.

Comments, please!

sr1002Diagram - G.jpg

Bump...

???

Does no one 'round here have a Corolla of that vintage ('98 - 2002) anymore???

I know, I know... it's off the ark...

Well, I don't drive nearly as much as you 'Mericans....

Get the right fit kit from Thule or Yakima, it will make things go by a lot easier. Looks like that rack is one of the older Yakima Control Towers that uses the drip rail, you need the Q Towers that uses Q Clips or the Thule/Inno equivalents.

One thing I cannot stress enough with a roof rack is to ensure ALL the tension is equal at the bar to tower interface, since the T-bolt that secures the crossbars is also the the one that controls the clamping force to the roof rails/pillars. Make sure the marks are within a mm of each other.

I have a Sportrack that fits a 97 Civic EX 2 door.... possibly the SR1005?. I cannot get the (correct) SR1008 fit-hooks separately. Regardless, that (as it happens to be) plastic drip rail that hangs down (green in the diagram, above) is the point of contact with the fit-hook. Seems 'real insubstantial to me...

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
I have a Sportrack that fits a 97 Civic EX 2 door.... possibly the SR1005?. I cannot get the (correct) SR1008 fit-hooks separately. Regardless, that (as it happens to be) plastic drip rail that hangs down (green in the diagram, above) is the point of contact with the fit-hook. Seems 'real insubstantial to me...

The fit clip(the metal part) looks like a Yakima Q-clip to me but there are differences between the brands. The shape of the metal clips is critical as it will allow the rack towers to sit securely against the body's upper rails/roof pillars and provide the tension to safely allow load.

I wonder if this rack system is a copy of a Thule system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back