Educate me about Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is older than 2 years.. 2014 then to about 2017, I wonder how much things have changed. So you are at more than 4, almost 5, and then 7 years for thread start.
Without looking at month, it was 2 years since the last post. Seemed to bother you hence my explanation.
I think it is strange you have to buy Amsoil from a rep, sort of like Snap-On and I have thought about spending some coin on it.... Then we get into the debate about how good Amsoil is. I have seen several videos where I am sure the same result could have been achieved with even Mobil 1, which is also a fine oil, as are many others, not sure there is a bad oil out there if it is the lastest or previous API rating and has the Starburst.
Purchase from rep not required. You can order straight off the site.

Several years ago (12) I was driving 30k miles per year in a NA port injected vehicle. Tested Amsoil, M1, ST Syn and VWB at a 5,000 mile interval. Wear numbers were very close for all the oils*

Where the results differed was in how depleted the oils were. The VWB was pretty much done, M1 and ST had some to go but the Amsoil looked almost new. I later ran Amsoil consistently to 12,000 miles...but the other oils wouldn't have made it safely that far.

So the value - at least at the time of my test - in using Amsoil was getting up to twice the miles out of the oil than from another brand. And at the time you could get it for less than twice the price of the others so it was a no brainer financially. Not to mention reducing environmental impact by cutting the amount of oil used as well as waste oil.

To be fair, Amsoil has increased their pricing quite a bit more than other brands so are no longer 'only' twice the price. Further diluting the value is moving away from PAO in their SS oils (at least to some extent, they won't say). They still make quality products, but for these reasons I have since switched away from using their oils.

*M1 created about twice the iron wear as any other oil during the tests. The Jeep 4.0 engine was famous for not liking M1 for some reason.

I recently made the switch to Amsoil Signature Series for my Silverado. However I am a bit OCD when it comes to maintainance and will more than likely change the oil well before I see any benefit from an extended OCI.

I can get Amsoil at PC prices. I also have a 2014 Accord to consider now as well. Prior to my recent OC I had used Mobil1 exclusively and changed the oil in my truck every 3k for no reason other than why not?

So that brings me to today. I am getting antsy as I have now passed 3k on this oil change. I'm wondering if there is actually a benefit to using Amsoil over Mobil1. I'm really looking for an unbiased opinion of this if possible. If there is no benefit than I would almost prefer to use Mobil1 since I can get it locally much faster. I have my eye on the XL line as I don't believe signature is of benefit to me unless I'm missing something.

What about amsoil oil filters as well? I'm more than likely going to have the dealer continue with oil changes on the Accord. Would you bring in some XL and a filter or just oil and let them put and oem Honda filter in?
Amsoil is the best oil made, but it's not the best for the money. I use Amsoil Gear oils and PUP in my engine. PUP is $5. per quart, where Amsoil is
more than twice that. For me PUP works really well for the 7k mile OCI.

One thing you have consider is that big oil companies have high volume and because their oil is half the price, doesn't mean they are half as good. They perform extensive tests and have a bigger budget ... and may perform the same or even better based on some engine pictures I've seen but we don't want to derail the thread ... For example you can get very solid oils like M1 EP or FS for very reasonable prices ...

since my rpms are low(er) and don't abuse my engines, I wouldn't mind using Kirkland for 3000 miles oci if I had a common engine. i.e. one which didn't require a fancy MB, BMW or Audi this or that spec to cause issues mainly with the warranty coverage.
Well I currently have Kirkland Brand in the Corrolla with around 1500 miles one it. Stay tuned in I'll let you know in April of May if its ruined my engine! My money says no. I would not hesitate to run that oil over 7000 miles. In fact I'd run any API approved modern full synthetic oil that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back