EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0W-20 for VAG in 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...-300277766.html

June 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Castrol, one of the leading global lubricants manufacturer, today unveiled Castrol EDGE® Professional® LL IV FE 0W-20, Volkswagen Group's first 0W-20 engine oil, exclusively developed with Volkswagen for the benefit of customers of Volkswagen Group franchised workshops and dealerships.

Developed by Castrol in strategic co-operation with Volkswagen Group, the new Castrol EDGE Professional product exceeds VW's fuel economy specification, delivering more than 4%1 fuel economy while maintaining the performance expected of oils meeting the LongLife service regime. This oil is already supplied as first fill for specific engines of Volkswagen Group vehicles, allowing them to deliver 10,000 miles, or one year, of driving before an oil change is needed2.

The new LongLife oil is intended for use in engines requiring the VW 508 00/ 509 00 Specification. These are a new breed of engine, built to use latest technology oils like Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0W-20 to maximise their performance.

Oliver Rose, Vice President Strategic Cooperation, at BP commented: "After over a decade of close collaboration with Volkswagen Group, Castrol has raised the bar in delivering the first LongLife 0W-20 oil for the Group. Engine oils that deliver greater fuel economy without compromising on performance are essential today, and we're delighted to announce the first low viscosity oil for Volkswagen Group engines."

Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0W-20 will be available in Volkswagen Group franchised workshops and dealerships from January 2017.

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I searched and found nothing.

Interesting. All in the name of EPA estimates and average MPG values for the entire brand portfolio. Let's see how long these turbo engines last now. Considering if a car gets 30 mpg, instead it may now get ~31.2 mpg. If I drive 14k miles per year, I will save only $42. This isn't significant enough for me to use a 20 wt in a turbocharged vehicle for 10K.

The OE oil will be "blue" in color as well... This of course is to make it that much more proprietary and keep the oil in house as much as possible.

Motul will have the Specific 508/509 oil out in the near future.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dexos
According my knowledge the 508.00/509.00 oil is green.

castrol_0w20_specs

Ah yes, indeed you're correct... I have a document that says "blue" and more recent info that it is definitely green. Silly stuff the OEM's are willing to do to brainwash people they have to use their stuff.

The new engines by VW/Audi with VW 508 00 / 509 00 spec, namely 2.0 TFSI and 3.0 TDI CR engines, demand a new breed of oil.

Bread? It is push toward lower consumption.
We will see, but considering sudden turn around in Europe in light of diesel scandal and bringing back bigger displacement engines, that actually might work. I know one thing, until I see evidence of engines that made 400-500K using this oil, there is no way I will put this in my car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Flying_A

castrol_0w20_specs

Ah yes, indeed you're correct... I have a document that says "blue" and more recent info that it is definitely green. Silly stuff the OEM's are willing to do to brainwash people they have to use their stuff.

I agree with you, but they must designate one spec for theirs products. Then aftermarket manufacturers can make stuff according that spec.
In case of VW508.00/509.00 some independent oil companies are lauching produts according that spec.
For ex: Wolf 0w20 LL

Originally Posted By: edyvw
The new engines by VW/Audi with VW 508 00 / 509 00 spec, namely 2.0 TFSI and 3.0 TDI CR engines, demand a new breed of oil.

We will see, but considering sudden turn around in Europe in light of diesel scandal and bringing back bigger displacement engines, that actually might work. I know one thing, until I see evidence of engines that made 400-500K using this oil, there is no way I will put this in my car.

VW diesel scandal marks the beggining of the end on diesel era in passengers cars.
Some Europe countries have already estipulated a 'red line' date for the diesel cars commercialization (somewhere between 2020 and 2030 depending of which case).
Some countries are increasing diesel taxes.
The future of european mobility will be petrol/hibrid (plug-in type) and 100% electric cars.

bringing back bigger displacement engines is still a doubt: 1.0 petrol engines become very popular (example: Ford 1.0 Ecoboost and VW 1.0TSI)

This oil was mentioned in the motoring press in the U.K. A few months ago. I looked into it to see what thebspecs where as a possible oil for the 14 Picanto.

It never made any mention that it was developed for VAG vehicles. Perhaps they missed that bit off the press release.

I liked the idea of having green oil.

VW diesel scandal marks the beggining of the end on diesel era in passengers cars.
Some Europe countries have already estipulated a 'red line' date for the diesel cars commercialization (somewhere between 2020 and 2030 depending of which case).
Some countries are increasing diesel taxes.
The future of european mobility will be petrol/hibrid (plug-in type) and 100% electric cars.

bringing back bigger displacement engines is still a doubt: 1.0 petrol engines become very popular (example: Ford 1.0 Ecoboost and VW 1.0TSI)

Companies are already dropping small turbos (I think that Renault 0.9 is goner too). Problem is NoX that these small forced induction engines are making. Turbo is staying, but in really small displacement they will not be able to pass new European tests.
As for banning diesel, good luck. Wait until German unions get on the streets.

Companies are already dropping small turbos (I think that Renault 0.9 is goner too). Problem is NoX that these small forced induction engines are making. Turbo is staying, but in really small displacement they will not be able to pass new European tests.

European cars manufacturers keep developing petrol turbo engines between 1.0L (3 cylinders) to 1.4L (4 cylinders) displacement. FYI according latest news Renault's 0.9TCe (3 cyl. MPI) will be replaced by a brand new 3 cyl. 1.0TCe GDI (that will be used also by Daimler in Smart models).

Time will bring to us the true facts…
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Flying_A

castrol_0w20_specs

I agree with you, but they must designate one spec for theirs products. Then aftermarket manufacturers can make stuff according that spec.
In case of VW508.00/509.00 some independent oil companies are lauching produts according that spec.
For ex: Wolf 0w20 LL

Yeah, we already have the approval and whatnot. We'll be launching it this qtr. New specs always provide an opportunity for lube manufacturers in the sense of offering a legitimate alternative to the OE product. Especially in regards to OE oil programs at the dealer. In NA at least, Catsrol OE oils can only be purchased at the dealer and by association, people get ripped off.

European cars manufacturers keep developing petrol turbo engines between 1.0L (3 cylinders) to 1.4L (4 cylinders) displacement. FYI according latest news Renault's 0.9TCe (3 cyl. MPI) will be replaced by a brand new 3 cyl. 1.0TCe GDI (that will be used also by Daimler in Smart models).

Time will bring to us the true facts…
smile.gif

Reuters article

Yep! That's it!

Article basically is saying that next version of your engine is not going to be 0.9 or 0.8, it will probably be 1.0 or even more likely 1.2.
Downsizing trend is dead in Europe after VW debacle.
Only thing we can hope for is for BMW to bring back inline 6 naturally aspirated engine
smile.gif

Yep! That's it!

Article basically is saying that next version of your engine is not going to be 0.9 or 0.8, it will probably be 1.0 or even more likely 1.2.
Downsizing trend is dead in Europe after VW debacle.
Only thing we can hope for is for BMW to bring back inline 6 naturally aspirated engine
smile.gif

...Time will bring to us the true facts…

VW TSi Evo (engine code EA211) uses also 0w/20 VW508.00 engine oil.
2016-vwtsi-05.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back