Eco Diesel failure

I owned a 2014 Chevy Cruze 2L diesel.While not a Dodge 3L motor it was a modern diesel with all the emissions equipment and sensors none the less.This vehicle was a nightmare,emissions related failures,sensors,def tank and finally valves so coked up they had to pull the head and re do it.All this in 70,000 KM.No wonder they got rid of it after 2 years.It looks like after reading numerous diesel failure stories here the epa will be the death of the modern diesel.My sons father in law,a diesel mechanic,said the school board was getting rid of its diesel busses due to these issues.

I have a 1500 RAM EcoDiesel that's nearing 60K miles. No issues other than the EGR recall. Extremely smooth engine, hard to believe it's a diesel. Fully loaded truck with air suspension. Been very reliable.

I owned a 2014 Chevy Cruze 2L diesel.While not a Dodge 3L motor it was a modern diesel with all the emissions equipment and sensors none the less.This vehicle was a nightmare,emissions related failures,sensors,def tank and finally valves so coked up they had to pull the head and re do it.All this in 70,000 KM.No wonder they got rid of it after 2 years.It looks like after reading numerous diesel failure stories here the epa will be the death of the modern diesel.My sons father in law,a diesel mechanic,said the school board was getting rid of its diesel busses due to these issues.

This has nothing to do with the VM Motori 3.0L diesel. It's an excellent engine.

Your argument is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Just imagine, mechanical diesel engines for many, many decades would run at a couple hundred RPM below max for thousands and thousands of hours on diesel fuel of just about any quality. Maybe after 5K hours, or more you would do some engine work and she would go for another 5 or ten thousand hours, or in some applications such as boats they would go for a lot longer than that. Junior, at 20 years old with little formal mechanical training could fix just about any problem you could ever have with these motors.

Now we have the new and improved, eco friendly electronically controlled monsters that cost a lot more than the mechanical motors they replaced. Even more unbelievable is that we have a long line of consumers just dying to purchase these motors. IC engines are starting to look better and better every day!

Just imagine, mechanical diesel engines for many, many decades would run at a couple hundred RPM below max for thousands and thousands of hours on diesel fuel of just about any quality. Maybe after 5K hours, or more you would do some engine work and she would go for another 5 or ten thousand hours, or in some applications such as boats they would go for a lot longer than that. Junior, at 20 years old with little formal mechanical training could fix just about any problem you could ever have with these motors.

Now we have the new and improved, eco friendly electronically controlled monsters that cost a lot more than the mechanical motors they replaced. Even more unbelievable is that we have a long line of consumers just dying to purchase these motors. IC engines are starting to look better and better every day!
I know, I mean why not just keeping things like GM transmission from 1942 etc.

Electronically controlled diesels have been around for decades, The Detroit 60 Series debuted in 1987 which could be considered one of the best OTR truck engines ever made.

Once the bugs were worked out of Common Rail....It was also very reliable, Millions of pre-emission Common Rail ISB Cummins & Duramax engines out there.

Yeah sure,read the posts to see how "good" it is.Dealers keeping stocks of them due to failures.

Factory warranty is 100K miles/160K kilometres, which is more than the Hemi.

Not sure why your diesel Cruze sucking means all Ram diesels do.

Some people are lucky that manufacturers don't sue them for defamation with the lies they spread.

Originally Posted by CT8
WARRANTY? The Eco Diesels seem to be trouble some engines per internet blather.

Agreed; I became engaged in a heated discussion in one of the Jeep forums about the issues with modern diesels and was more or less told I did not know what I was talking about. Said that Overkill's experience with constant regens was impossible and DPF/SCR/DEF was not as problematic as I suggested.

I laughed and said I hope you have a great service life with no issues, but I would not hold my breath on it, it is after all, a Fiat diesel.
crackmeup2.gif
It is actually a VM diesel, a company that has great reputation, and it is a shame they didn't develop product as they should with ED, which, appears to be crap. Fiat makes above average quality diesel powerplants in Europe.

It is actually a VM diesel, a company that has great reputation, and it is a shame they didn't develop product as they should with ED, which, appears to be crap. Fiat makes above average quality diesel powerplants in Europe.
Yeah; it has not fared well from what I have read in various forums even reducing the "internet amplification" by 50%, it still has too many issues.

60K miles on the EcoDiesel in my Ram and it hasn't missed a beat. Runs like the day I picked it up brand new.

They're covered for 100K miles from factory. They're good products.

60,000 miles on a diesel isn't very impressive, Nor is 200,000 miles for that matter.
This 3.0L is designed to a price point and a certain consumer - daily commuter with lighter duty towing. Given the design and cost criteria, I would be impressed with any 3.0L diesel - Ford, GM, or FCA - making it to 200,000 miles without needing internal work.
I think the internal B10 target for the MB 3.0L diesel was 200,000 miles. Only problem was that everything else broke and cost major $ to fix. Intake plenum valves coking up, exhaust down pipe cracks, DEF system issues, most costing that $5000 bill to fix - at the dealer of course because they could afford the annual Star scanner fees.
Now if we're talking the Cummins 6.7L, that's a different animal.

This 3.0L is designed to a price point and a certain consumer - daily commuter with lighter duty towing. Given the design and cost criteria, I would be impressed with any 3.0L diesel - Ford, GM, or FCA - making it to 200,000 miles without needing internal work.
I think the internal B10 target for the MB 3.0L diesel was 200,000 miles. Only problem was that everything else broke and cost major $ to fix. Intake plenum valves coking up, exhaust down pipe cracks, DEF system issues, most costing that $5000 bill to fix - at the dealer of course because they could afford the annual Star scanner fees.
Now if we're talking the Cummins 6.7L, that's a different animal.
I think the "base" engine will be fine, the problem is all of the auxiliary systems that will break down--emissions (EGR Cooler, DPF, SCR, DEF). FCA does not sell an extended warranty for the Ecodiesel and for me that is very telling. When coupled with the fact that many "new" diesel owners do not validate their typical use case and confirm that a diesel fits that use case, it is a recipe for a bad owner experience.

Neighbor has a Ram 1500 with eco diesel. He loves it so far, he's only had it for 2 years. Let's see what happens if he has any issues long term.

I see a few posts online selling Ram eco diesels with issues. One post is looking for dead eco Diesel's.

Back