EB2200i break in.

IMG_20200922_182307022.jpg
New work toy.

IMG_20200922_183715919.jpg

IMG_20200922_183710715.jpg
IMG_20200922_184156740.jpg

Used John Deere turf guard 10w-30 since that was the first non synthetic 10w-30 I found in my shed. Put in oil and gas and started it up. Plugged in the heater and fan that should be around 1600 watts and let it run a few hours at full throttle. With the eco throttle on it was about half throttle with that load.

8 hours run time isn't going to be acceptable. Gonna get one of those extended run tanks. My 8000 watt generac will run 24 hours on a tiny load. The EU 3000i I have won't even do that.

That little engine revs a lot. Change the oil often during break-in (every few hours). Get all those glitter/sparkles out.

I've run a few oil changes of Honda Power Equipment 10W-30 and then M1 10W-30 in my EU2000i for the past 5 years. That M1 jug is about used up, so I just picked up a jug of M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 to use next.

These little Honda generators are really a gem of engineering. They are pricey, but worth it in my opinion. Buy once, cry once.

Nice purchase! I love my 1000W Honda. I did an extended runtime setup DIY out of a replacement Honda cap and a gas can with a plain top.

Per my thread about a fire in my Robin Subaru inverter, I bought a Predator 3500. IIRC they recommend to not load beyond a certain percentage. IIRC it’s To not exceed 75% load for 30 hours.

The 2200 generators are rated at 1800VA continuous. So your 1600W is possibly higher than what is ideal for breakin.

Nice purchase! I love my 1000W Honda. I did an extended runtime setup DIY out of a replacement Honda cap and a gas can with a plain top.

Per my thread about a fire in my Robin Subaru inverter, I bought a Predator 3500. IIRC they recommend to not load beyond a certain percentage. IIRC it’s To not exceed 75% load for 30 hours.

The 2200 generators are rated at 1800VA continuous. So your 1600W is possibly higher than what is ideal for breakin.

Surprised to hear you had a problem with a robin subaru, what year was it?
I heard the new ones aren't really robin subarus, I have been impressed with the older ones.

On break in of a 2000/ 2200 I use a hair dryer alternating between low/ high warm and hot.

I read somewhere that a guy used a toaster oven for break-in. Set it to 'Bake' and set a temperature. It will cycle on and off on its own. I thought that was clever.

That makes a ton of sense.

Surprised to hear you had a problem with a robin subaru, what year was it?
I heard the new ones aren't really robin subarus, I have been impressed with the older ones.

On break in of a 2000/ 2200 I use a hair dryer alternating between low/ high warm and hot.

~2006

Smelled melting plastic, thing was running fine, glowing orange inside. Maybe a shorted filter cap or scr?

Have projects to do so haven’t had a chance to dive in.

I am of the drive it like you stole it break in Method. Worked like a charm on the Kawasaki’s in the gators when I worked at John Deere and they never used oil much less get the oil changed in 500 hours.

I can't understand why running an engine at a steady state load is somehow good for it, or a proper break in. Piston rings generally break in fast, and varying the load and RPM has always been part of that process. The rest of the engine needs no break in.

I did vary it a bit at first while trying to get the heater to work right for about 5 minutes. About half way through I either turned the eco throttle on or off, whichever.

I did vary it a bit at first while trying to get the heater to work right for about 5 minutes. About half way through I either turned the eco throttle on or off, whichever.

OK, that seems about the best one can do with a Honda inverter generator. How do you like it?

I love those 2200i generators. It's on my wish list.

I have been using this method for years. It is from the Shop Manual for a Subaru/Robin single cylinder OHC engine.

(32) BREAK-IN OPERATION A new engine or an engine that has been completely overhauled by being fitted with a new piston, rings,valves and connecting rod should be thoroughly RUN-IN before being put back into service. Good bearing surfaces and running clearances between the various parts can only be established by operating the engine under reduced speed and loads for a short period of time. While the engine is being tested, check for oil leaks. Make final carburetor adjustment and regulate the engine operating speed.

Step 1: No Load 2500 r.p.m.10 min.
Step 2: No Load 3000 r.p.m.10 min.
Step 3: No Load 3600 r.p.m.10 min.
Step 4: 1/2 load 3600 r.p.m. 30 min.
Step 5: Full load 3600 r.p.m. 30 min.

I love those 2200i generators. It's on my wish list.

I have been using this method for years. It is from the Shop Manual for a Subaru/Robin single cylinder OHC engine.

(32) BREAK-IN OPERATION A new engine or an engine that has been completely overhauled by being fitted with a new piston, rings,valves and connecting rod should be thoroughly RUN-IN before being put back into service. Good bearing surfaces and running clearances between the various parts can only be established by operating the engine under reduced speed and loads for a short period of time. While the engine is being tested, check for oil leaks. Make final carburetor adjustment and regulate the engine operating speed.

Step 1: No Load 2500 r.p.m.10 min.
Step 2: No Load 3000 r.p.m.10 min.
Step 3: No Load 3600 r.p.m.10 min.
Step 4: 1/2 load 3600 r.p.m. 30 min.
Step 5: Full load 3600 r.p.m. 30 min.

Great steps, although Im certain this is a good regimen, I dont see how it can be practically done in most cases.

Couple of questions, thoughts about this.

If your genset doenst give you RPM (like a honda 2K) how does a regular guy know what RPM its turning?

An inverter generator will only rev to meet the load put on it and you have no way of making it run at 3K (even if you knew what 3K was) with no load. Turn off eco and they go to 3600.

A (small) non inverter genset will only run at 3600 RPM (a few idle lower at 0 output but are basically 1 or 2 speeds) - anything less will result in less than 60HZ 120V power.

So I don’t know how they do it With small engines but some engines are “cold” run at the factory to Check them out. I don’t know if Honda does that but I assume the generator is run in some form to verify it works. So you are not starting with a completly un run engine.

Great steps, although Im certain this is a good regimen, I dont see how it can be practically done in most cases.

Couple of questions, thoughts about this.

If your genset doenst give you RPM (like a honda 2K) how does a regular guy know what RPM its turning?

An inverter generator will only rev to meet the load put on it and you have no way of making it run at 3K (even if you knew what 3K was) with no load. Turn off eco and they go to 3600.

A (small) non inverter genset will only run at 3600 RPM (a few idle lower at 0 output but are basically 1 or 2 speeds) - anything less will result in less than 60HZ 120V power.

The only way to really know RPMs would be to get a tiny-tach. They make both touch-less (hold near the spark plug wire) and hour meter combo tachometers with a wire you wrap around the spark plug wire. Some of the bigger Honda's include a built in tach/hour meter, not a bad idea for service intervals.

The only way to really know RPMs would be to get a tiny-tach. They make both touch-less (hold near the spark plug wire) and hour meter combo tachometers with a wire you wrap around the spark plug wire. Some of the bigger Honda's include a built in tach/hour meter, not a bad idea for service intervals.
Actually there is an indication of hours on this. When you start it the output light blinks to indicate hours in 100 hour increments.

Actually there is an indication of hours on this. When you start it the output light blinks to indicate hours in 100 hour increments.
That's a nice feature, too bad they couldn't also include a tach function.

Back