Easy way to test for Ethanol % in gasoline.

An easy way to test for Ethanol in gas.
Note this can also be accomplished with a graduated cylinder and a little knowledge.. but this is even easier.. if costing 8$(at the time I purchased).

First buy gas.
1688408990835.jpg
Then use an ethanol fuel tester of your choice (bottle with lines on it)
Such as:

Fill water to blue line.. then fill rest of way to red line with gas to be tested. Shake well and let settle for a couple minutes.
1688409391825.jpg

Result (5-6%) ethanol this time.
1688409442809.jpg

most pump gas + even canned specialty gas has more eath than advertized according to research! i would like to see a scale denoting octane for various eath percentages as sheetz notes 51 to 83 % as i am considering adding about 25% to my typical pump 93 i use in my 2001 TT with a tune for 93 BUT my Vag COM shows light pinging in hotter months!

I'm on several OLD car forums and on one forum there is an excellent mechanic who is very detail oriented and very thorough. He's had a lot of modern cars come into his shop over the last 15+ years with all sorts of drivability problems and he frequently tests the gasoline in their gas tanks and has found in excess of 60% water and ethanol in some cars! That stuff settles out in the storage tanks and some drivers are filling their tanks with it (the dregs out of the storage tanks). Some of them so much that even when they mostly empty their gas tanks and refill them that there's still enough water and ethanol in the mix that their cars won't run properly.

I can't comment of the accuracy of the test kit shown but it's not a bad idea to have one and to test your fuel if you're having issues.

Looks like there's NO wasting of gasoline.
The gas would float to the top and you would have a little ethanol-free gas.
Well they make ones that are so small you fill them with an eye dropper.

mine I can burn brush or kill poison ivy with it or siphon off the bottom water and have 99% water free gas close enough to dump in with 5gal of gas.
you could also carefully pour the "pure gas" off and only have maybe an ounce or 2 wasted.

Back