East Penn Deka cheat sheet

twouvakind

Site Donor 2024
What labels (Walmart, Advance etc) are affixed to an East Penn manufactured battery? Where can you get the quality build without nailing down a Deka distributor? Also, how to be sure you are buying an EP battery(ID number or code on label etc?)

Walmart batteries made by East Penn...

Have EP in the serial number on the battery.

Part numbers with say 524fmf or 624fmf aka their mid tier gold battery or 724fmf for the East Penn top tier flooded group 24f battery are examples are East Penn battery codes.

Plus they have their battery case which looks like this... Take note of those ribs in the middle of the case.
IMG_20171118_205050941.jpg

Just had a 24F go bad that I bought 3.5 years ago. It was definitely made by Johnson Controls because it was printed on the battery label.

The first two letters of the serial number of the new 24F is EP. It does have the ribs in the middle on the front and back side of the case. The Johnson had battery caps. The new one is sealed.

Don't like the warranty on the new replacement battery. Walmart did prorate 1.5 years toward the purchase of the new battery. But the warranty on the new replacement battery is only 1.5 years.

Napa and Walmart have them by me.

Walmart carrying them does concern me a bit. Right now they are made by a PA company in the USA. EP was competitive enough to get the contract, but WM tends to force suppliers to drive costs down. And with that, offshoring and quality. So I fear that we have a great shot at a great batteyr now, but WM will destroy that in time.

Not specific to Deka or East Penn (the third battery manufacturer, behind Exide and JCI/Tyco) but, The thing that concerns me about a sealed battery is that there is not a way to add distilled water to the cells if that evaporates out over time, which I would imagine it likely does? I think I pop the caps off mine twice a year to check the level. All it takes is a screwdriver and being careful.

Napa and Walmart have them by me.

Walmart carrying them does concern me a bit. Right now they are made by a PA company in the USA. EP was competitive enough to get the contract, but WM tends to force suppliers to drive costs down. And with that, offshoring and quality. So I fear that we have a great shot at a great batteyr now, but WM will destroy that in time.

While I understand your thinking here...

East Penn does quite a bit of business with Federated Auto parts, Napa, and Auto Value.

I believe those other companies will hopefully keep East Penn busy enough to keep their manufacturing in PA.

Not specific to Deka or East Penn (the third battery manufacturer, behind Exide and JCI/Tyco) but, The thing that concerns me about a sealed battery is that there is not a way to add distilled water to the cells if that evaporates out over time, which I would imagine it likely does? I think I pop the caps off mine twice a year to check the level. All it takes is a screwdriver and being careful.

I believe East Penn utilizes a calcium alloy that helps keep it from drying out as quickly as older batteries.

Though the East Penn batteries can still be opened... Just takes a bit more effort to do so. Taking out the center strip in the battery cover will reveal the 6 battery cells.

Well this thread took an unanticipated turn for the better .... thanks all, good info!

Talked (chat app) with East Penn today. they have a factory store in Lyon Station PA. Blems and refurbished batteries on the menu. I was 50 minutes from there in Myerstown PA today. Maybe next time.

Walmart has East Penn by me in MA. But other areas of the country could be different. As mentioned the East Penn batteries at Walmart have a serial number that starts with "EP".

Back