E85 fuel composition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friends i have a local gas station that sells e85.
Some people say its e100, that it has 100% ethanol
I asked the gas station for the spec sheet of the e85 they sell and this is what it says. Its in spanish but maybe someone helps me in checking the specs for it if it would be ok to use it in my car which is flex fuel.
Thanks.

SmartSelect_20191014-200855_Drive.jpg

That looks like true E85. It will work in flex fuel vehicles. I have a Ford F150 flex fuel and it "loves" E85 and clearly makes more power on it. The loss of MPG is offset by the lower price. A friend has a Chevy flex fuel pickup truck and it lost power on E85.

The sheet says "85% Ethanol" and the other items are the compounds that make up ‘gasoline'.

Good to go in flex fuel engines.

Its 85% ethanol with Toluene, cumene, Xylene, Heptane, Benzene, and various other components.

If your Flex-Fuel owner's manual says E85 is ok, then use it.

In my opinion it is E85, as the other compounds seem to be derivatives of gasoline. Pentane is reportedly found in alcohol as well.

Spanish = English
pentano = pentane
tolueno = toluene
xileno = xylene
hexano = hexane
heptano = heptane
benceno = benzene
cumeno = cumene
etibenceno = ethylbenzene
naftalina = naphthalene

All of them are found in crude oil and refined oil.

I think I posted this elsewhere in this forum but here goes:

Gasoline (Petrol) may contain one of more of the following components, and is mainly Naphtha with the following alkanes and aromatics:

Alkanes;

n-Heptane
n-Octane
n-Nonane
n-Decane
n-Undecane
n-Dodecane
n-Tridecane
n-Tetradecane
n-Pentadecane
n-Hexadecane
Cyclohexane
Methyl cyclohexane

Aromatics;

Benzene
Toluene
Ethylbenzene
p-Xylene,m-xylene
o-Xylene
Isopropylbenzene
n-Propylbenzene
p-Isopropyltoluene
4-Ethyl toluene
2-Ethyl toluene
1,3,5-Trimethylbenzene
1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene
1,2,3-Trimethylbenzene
sec-Butylbenzene
n-Butylbenzene
Styrene

In addition, you may find alcohols such as ethanol and or isopropyl, especially in the us.

Octane targets are accomplished by varying the amounts of both the Alkanes and Aromatics.

Mixtures may vary from country to country and from state to state or province.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rubberchicken

Spanish = English
pentano = pentane
tolueno = toluene
xileno = xylene
hexano = hexane
heptano = heptane
benceno = benzene
cumeno = cumene
etibenceno = ethylbenzene
naftalina = naphthalene

Or you can employ the universal Spanish translation applicator, (which almost works in this case), of putting an "El" in front of the word, and an "O" behind it. For example "car" becomes "Elcaro".

From High School chemistry class , the 4 molecules that as classified as gasoline are ;

1 - Pentane C5H12

2 - Hexane C6H14

3 - Heptane C₇Hâ‚₆.

4 - Octane C₈Hâ‚₈

Octane having the highest " knock " resistance & Pentane the least .

Yes, with emphasis on "iso" octane, the different isomers have a different rating. Not all C₈Hâ‚₈ compounds are alike in that way.

Plus a zero octane rating is referenced against heptane, not pentane.

There are several ways to put together a C8H18 molecule. These are the different isomers of octane. n-octane (a simple straight chain) will knock like crazy, though it is not common in gasoline. I think the one you want is more fully described as 2,4 methylpentane, that is octane with two branches in the molecule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back