E15 coming soon?

Some QuikTrip gas stations in and around Dallas/Ft. Worth have E15 available (for about 4 years now IIRC). It is clearly separated with its own blue dispenser and is always 88 octane. I haven't paid much attention to the price advantage the E15 offers because I have no interest in using it. I need 93, so 88 is useless to me, regardless of ethanol content.

If this happens in Canada also, I'll probably be pushed to upgrade the 84 Cutlass to aftermarket EFI soon. And replace the short section of rubber fuel hose back near the gas tank that cracks every 5-6 years because of the e10 I use only during the summer.

Don't fear the change. It's available here along side E10.

I've used it almost exclusively in my Regal, with GM's blessing. Same mpg as 87E10 with a bonus of octane and price. Slightly reduced mileage vs 91E0 but the difference of $0.70/gallon isn't worth it. My E450 says max 10% ethanol so it never has seen it.

I measured the alcohol content at 9% last time I checked. The nice thing about the KT pumps is they are individual nozzles for each grade of fuel so no worry about residual amounts in the mixer and hose. I don't worry about water absorption as I burn several tanks a week. If the car sat more I would re-evaluate it's use. The motorcycles and OPE get E0 only.

I’ve used E15 on and off more out of curiousity then anything. We got it at Caseys, QT, and this hole in the wall Cenex station. I’ve used all 3 without issue but the Cenex E15 would always throw a CEL some miles after filling...6 months later I stop by Cenex and the E15 is labeled E20 all of a sudden and has been sense. 🤷‍♂️ I’ve stopped going there.

edit: The Cenex also carries E85 so maybe the blender wasn’t working right and it was just easier to relabel than fix it.

Some QuikTrip gas stations in and around Dallas/Ft. Worth have E15 available (for about 4 years now IIRC). It is clearly separated with its own blue dispenser and is always 88 octane. I haven't paid much attention to the price advantage the E15 offers because I have no interest in using it. I need 93, so 88 is useless to me, regardless of ethanol content.
That's where I get mine, QT in Lewisville. Only a couple of the QTs in the entire area have E15.

We have had it around MN for a few years. I can't tell much difference at all with mileage or performance when I have used it.

E15 is definitely coming, farmers gotta get paid. It will be offered alongside E10 and other blends. Way too many vehicles (millions) on the road today with the manufacturer not approving anything over 10% ethanol.
EPA is approving fuels for vehicles that the vehicle manufacturer has NOT approved. That's insane if you ask me. Here's a quote from a 2017 article in Ethanol Producer Magazine... not sure how this has been going on for so long and no massive lawsuits:
"In 2012, EPA approved the use of E15 in vehicles built in model year 2001 or later. However, auto manufacturers did not retroactively endorse the use of E15 in legacy vehicles that were already on the road."
Source: Ethanol Producers Magazine 13943

E15 is definitely coming, farmers gotta get paid. It will be offered alongside E10 and other blends. Way too many vehicles (millions) on the road today with the manufacturer not approving anything over 10% ethanol.
EPA is approving fuels for vehicles that the vehicle manufacturer has NOT approved. That's insane if you ask me. Here's a quote from a 2017 article in Ethanol Producer Magazine... not sure how this has been going on for so long and no massive lawsuits:
"In 2012, EPA approved the use of E15 in vehicles built in model year 2001 or later. However, auto manufacturers did not retroactively endorse the use of E15 in legacy vehicles that were already on the road."
Source: Ethanol Producers Magazine 13943
Do farmers really have a hard time selling their profuct? I don't see a lot of people going into farming these days and we still all need to eat. I am genuinely curious.

Some QuikTrip gas stations in and around Dallas/Ft. Worth have E15 available (for about 4 years now
I need 93, so 88 is useless to me, regardless of ethanol content.

I honestly wish the 90 octane e15 was still available that was actually useful and a lot cheaper than 91

i would imagine that newer vehicles don't see much of a difference, but in my 90's vehicles I I run exclusively ethanol free gas and I can immediately tell If I use E10 because my mileage drops like a rock

I've used it once, according to Toyota, my 2017 Tacoma can take anything up to E15.

I saw it at a Sheetz in PA while I was driving from Boston to NC, so I was going to use the entire tank up in a matter of hours. Everything was fine, no noticeable gain or loss in MPG.

As a general rule, high compression, direct injection, turbocharged engines do quite well with the added alcohol content. Our Ecoboost engines are rated for everything up to E-20. The cooling effect (latent heat of vaporization) of ethanol is partially responsible for the reduction in engine knock, and subsequent advance (or improvement) in ignition timing.

Ethanol has three times the cooling effect, by volume, than gasoline and four times the cooling based on BTU content. This improves anti knock performance for any given octane rating.

Unfortunately, there are many regions of engine operation where the engine is not knock limited, and optimal ignition timing is not related to knock sensor output. Whether the engine is optimized correctly (in these regions) or not for ethanol content is anybody's guess. An example might be the use of E-15 fuel with 5% lower energy than pure gasoline, and a real world decrease in MPG of 10%. (GM cough-cough)

Do farmers really have a hard time selling their product? I don't see a lot of people going into farming these days and we still all need to eat. I am genuinely curious.
I don't know about the American farmer's ability to sell their products, I just know that the agricultural industry is heavily subsidized, especially for corn/grain used in ethanol production. I said "farmers gotta get paid" because some farmers are paid to produce nothing. Also, many farmers are really fuel producers, not food producers. Ethanol is a big scam in the name of green energy and "energy independence" -- the system is unsustainable, hence the subsidies.

Back