Duralast Max Ceramic Pads Photos!

Messages
87
Location
Chicago, IL
Thread starter
Decided to share some pictures of Autozone's Duralast Max DGC1391. These are common rear pads on Toyota/Lexus van and suv. The pads comes with nitrile rubber shims to eliminate noise, brake hardware, pack of grease and are Made in India. Picked these up for a steal price and comes with lifetime warranty so I figured I give them a try. I looked up the AMECA edge marking code on the shim - "DB 8572 FF" and it came back to Roulunds Braking ApS as the manufacturer. They are also the manufacturer of Advance Auto Parts platinum pads and probably a few other auto parts store house brands. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
 
Messages
4,101
Location
SW Ohio
Originally Posted by atikovi
Is Made in India better than Made in China?
Yes. No. Both countries are more than capable of making high quality parts.
 
Messages
87
Location
Chicago, IL
Thread starter
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Whats the price difference compared to the Akebonos?
Akebono ACT1391 go for around $49 on Amazon and Rockauto as of now. These were $31.99 originally. I paid $24.99+tax after the $7 off $30 coupon on these at Autozone so about a $20 difference. I ended up picking up both front and rear sets for <$30/set - with Lifetime Warranty. Not sure if they are phasing out the Max line or switching suppliers, but prices on the MAX were cheaper than the Duralast Gold. They may be on clearance I suppose. The prices online are also not accurate. I have been monitoring them since the beginning of the new year and they have doubled back now to $57.99 but if you call the store, I verified it was the same closeout price I initially saw at the beginning of the year which was $31.99.
 
Messages
6,834
Location
California
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by atikovi
Is Made in India better than Made in China?
Yes. No. Both countries are more than capable of making high quality parts.
And Roulunds has been making friction for a long time - they are an OEM to Volvo and Saab. They were known as Dan-Block and made their pads in Denmark where they are headquartered. Roulunds is a MAT brand - they also own the rights to the Bendix Brakes brand from Honeywell/Garrett. All of those are made in China or India now.
 
Messages
6,834
Location
California
Originally Posted by Audios
Installed a set of Jurids made in India today with very very similar packaging. Also a Honeywell company.
Honeywell sold a good bit of their friction business to Federal-Mogul/Tenneco recently - they still are involved with Bendix Mintex in Australia. Only the Bendix name in the US/Canada/Mexico has been licensed out to MAT.
 
Messages
14,449
Location
The Old North State
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Whats the price difference compared to the Akebonos?
Obviously can't say for all applications however for my last Akebono ProAct ACT787 Ultra Premium, current ~$41 Amazon shipped price. The Akebono Performance Ceramic ASP787 Rock Auto price before shipping ~$57-59 depending on if hardware included. Amazon price shipped no hardware, ~$69. I'm assuming topic pads equivalent to the Performance Ceramic. I'm seeing AZ price of ~$56 for DCG787 including hardware. The Akebono ProAct Ultra Premium always have been fine for me, I'd consider myself an average driver.
 
Messages
22,258
Location
CA
The chamfers are for noise. Yes, the Autozone pad may have more surface area but the lack of chamfers will increase the possibility of noise.
 
Messages
430
Location
MN
Originally Posted by The Critic
The chamfers are for noise. Yes, the Autozone pad may have more surface area but the lack of chamfers will increase the possibility of noise.
This. I pad slapped a set for a customer. He brought them in for all corners. Said they were squeaky pads at initial bite and when coming to a dead stop. He couldn't stand it and we replaced them out a month later for regular Golds.
 
Messages
664
Location
Connecticut
Originally Posted by The Critic
The chamfers are for noise. Yes, the Autozone pad may have more surface area but the lack of chamfers will increase the possibility of noise.
This has been my experience too. Pads with chamfers generally produce no noise. Pads without chamfers will make noise at some point. Sam
 
Messages
7,657
Location
MI
I'm curious if the nitrile rubber shims will hold up to the vibrations between pad and piston, unless that textured outer edge is actually metal. Thanks for sharing.
 
Messages
6,834
Location
California
Originally Posted by doitmyself
I'm curious if the nitrile rubber shims will hold up to the vibrations between pad and piston, unless that textured outer edge is actually metal. Thanks for sharing.
rubberized shims are nothing new - it's been used on the OEM level by Honda and Toyota. Nucap has been pushing their multi-layed NRS shims for a while to the aftermarket. EBC uses them.
 
Messages
87
Location
Chicago, IL
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Sayjac
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Whats the price difference compared to the Akebonos?
Obviously can't say for all applications however for my last Akebono ProAct ACT787 Ultra Premium, current ~$41 Amazon shipped price. The Akebono Performance Ceramic ASP787 Rock Auto price before shipping ~$57-59 depending on if hardware included. Amazon price shipped no hardware, ~$69. I'm assuming topic pads equivalent to the Performance Ceramic. I'm seeing AZ price of ~$56 for DCG787 including hardware. The Akebono ProAct Ultra Premium always have been fine for me, I'd consider myself an average driver.
You have to call the store to check if they are on the closeout price. Online is incorrect. I am not really a fan of Akebono pads - they have less initial bite, leave pad deposits on the rotors and do not last very long in my experience. They do however excel well in everything else - less dust, no noise, perfect fit and made in USA.
 
Top