Dumb question of the week

I have never owned a bolt gun. I am looking at a Ruger American Predator. Is there a lube requirement or recommendation for a bolt? I'm looking into a 350 "Legend". Winchester didn't do it any favors with the "Legend" moniker, did they?
Anyway, that's my question. Thanks in advance for your advice.

A light film of gun oil or grease to protect any exposed unfinished metal, and a little of the same on the locking lugs and sear.

Bolt guns generally have pretty minimal requirements for lube since the bolt is moved very slowly and the user can always apply a little more force if things are sticky.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I have used 3M oil , ATF and probably other oils .

Is ATF still ATF approved?

I see what you did there
smile.gif

Remove the bolt, one drop of oil on each bolt lug, distribute evenly with your finger. One drop of oil on the extractor, don't allow oil to go into the firing pin hole on the bolt face. use your finger or a small flat blade screw driver and move the extractor back and forth, wipe off the excess with a clean patch. Extractor can have a little residual oil, bolt face, Dry.

You can use a lite grease if you wish, but I use left over motor oil. Lets not start thick/thin, any motor oil works fine.

Originally Posted by bsmithwins
A light film of gun oil or grease to protect any exposed unfinished metal, and a little of the same on the locking lugs and sear.

Bolt guns generally have pretty minimal requirements for lube since the bolt is moved very slowly and the user can always apply a little more force if things are sticky.

I second this

Originally Posted by FabricGATOR
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I have used 3M oil , ATF and probably other oils .

Is ATF still ATF approved?

That depends on if you have a semi or fully automatic transmission

Back