Duh-- Didn't know there was a SIM card.

Dish needs to make a much bigger investment in customer service, their user site was useless. The young lady at the Wentzville store was helpful however. They need to step things up if they ramp up 5G and postpaid services. Note: I'm sure Consumer Cellular is MUCH better in hand holding. I guess you could say you get what you pay for but I've gone a decade without support and wouldn't have needed it here except some idiot slipped a totally useless, non fitting SIM in the bottom of the box

SIM cards were originally developed for GSM networks, That's why phones designed for CDMA carriers (Verizon/Sprint) didn't use them. They adopted them to provide dual CDMA/LTE compatibility. Verizon's CDMA network will be shut down at the end of 2020, and Sprint will follow within a couple years, if not sooner, with the T-Mo merger. It's dictated by the network technology, not the maker or phone model. Every GSM phone has a SIM card, including every pertinent iPhone dating all the way back to the original, which was an AT&

Technically, Qualcomm's original CDMA standard has support for SIM but Verizon refuse it, wanting to keep it no sim to reduce customer transfer between Verizon and Sprint.

Technically, Qualcomm's original CDMA standard has support for SIM but Verizon refuse it, wanting to keep it no sim to reduce customer transfer between Verizon and Sprint.
I recalled my mom’s old Nokia she had on Verizon had a slot for the CDMA equivalent of a SIM. VZW and Sprint were too used to programming lines into the phone via NAM and SPC lock. I remember having to dial *228 on a Verizon phone to program it or refresh the roaming list.

The Japanese and Koreans used it for their CDMA networks - Korea was the largest CDMA user outside of the Americas and that is why Samsung and LG supported Verizon and Sprint so well in the early 2000s

I wonder if my cell phone has a SIM card?
BRICK CELL.jpg

my first ATT go flip phone had a sim, but as technology moves on providers come + go we are just "puppets" supplying the big boys $$$$. never new about MVNO's a few months ago until i noticed this section on consumer electronics + learned a lot BUT theres lots i still dont know + as long as i can call + receive calls all is good + MMS is icing on the cake that ATT took away when i retired my 3G flip phone + got a new older model smart phone + their new different size sim i got at the ATT store does NOT support MMS even thou phone was listed as 4G, ATT likely porked me!!!

I thought phones needed a SIM card to work at all. So, guess I'm no help. I'd put it in and see what happens. You might have one in there already.

Sprints and Verizon prior to LTE do not need sims, CDMA technology supports it but they like to lock in their customers so they don't. After LTE they usually do unless it is an embedded sim (tablets usually). I think Chinese telco mandates a card instead of embedded for their market so most phones have sim cards still.

After LTE they usually do unless it is an embedded sim (tablets usually). I think Chinese telco mandates a card instead of embedded for their market so most phones have sim cards still.
Another tidbit was then the CDMA iPhone 4 came out, and probably the Galaxy S3 was that CDMA providers were switching over to MEIDs which are basically the GSMA’s IMEI with a few extra digits and a psuedo-ESN for legacy compatibility. Verizon and Sprint were running out of ESNs and their 4G LTE was overlaid on 3G CDMA 1x EV-DO.

eSIMs, as in embedded SIMs are getting more popular. Apple is pushing for it with the Apple Watch and iPad instead of the Apple SIM. Samsung and Google are also fans. The latest iPhones(11 and newer) can support dual-SIM standby and separate lines of service, one SIM being the embedded one. Google also does on the Pixel 3a and 4/4a. Samsung didn’t include eSIM support on the Galaxy S10 but the S20/21 should support it.

Follow up on OP. Boost customer service continued deteriorating. Bought new unlocked Moto G Fast (2020) after LG K50 bricked and unbricked. Boost store staff could not assist with unlocking the old LG phone or even telling me what my account number was (have to call or chat to get this secret number). So it's goodbye Boost and hello Mint. Got 10 gigs for twenty bucks a month. That's 2.5 times more data for 2/3 the amount I was paying. Interestingly number port happened within a couple of minutes so Boost at least went out on a high note. I now have T-Mobile towers for both my Internet service and my phone. So far, so good.

eSIMs, as in embedded SIMs are getting more popular. Apple is pushing for it with the Apple Watch and iPad instead of the Apple SIM. Samsung and Google are also fans. The latest iPhones(11 and newer) can support dual-SIM standby and separate lines of service, one SIM being the embedded one. Google also does on the Pixel 3a and 4/4a. Samsung didn’t include eSIM support on the Galaxy S10 but the S20/21 should support it.

I highly recommend eSIMs since it ties the carrier network info onto a "virtual" SIM in the phone vs. a physical SIM. Plus it lessens the chance of SIM swapping if your phone is password protected.

Having a SIM PIN and an account PIN are a couple ways to stay secure.

Back