drying rack / drain rack?

hey guys

just a weird ocd/perfectionist question...

i'm looking for a small drying pad. a pad that would allow you to place an oil filter on it, and due to the holes on the pad, the oil filter will slowly drain out. im thinking something the size of a dish washing sponge, but looking for something that is firmer than just a sponge (you know a sponge is just too soft and will deform under some weight, which wont matter too much in my oil filter example, but an electric toothbrush might not fair as well). also was thinking that having thick plastic bristles like this attached sample will not only add strength to help prevent the bristles from folding over, but will also allow air to help dry the bottom of an object i place on the bristles (the bottom of my electric toothbrush for example). only problem i see with the example i've posted is that i don't like how long the bristles are so i'm looking for something with shorter bristles? yes i can cut those bristles, but just wanted to brainstorm with you guys and see if you come up with any ideas.

just thought of something. i guess for my "toothbrush dryer" i could use one of these pizza protectors with buncha holes drilled into it. sturdy enough to hold the toothbrush off the counter and holes will help it dry faster too :p

as far as an oil filter draining pad. i was thinking maybe a metal mesh pencil holder turned upside down with the filter on top of it to drain into a pan.

would love to hear some more ideas :p

oh, and perhaps this is the wrong section. might need to be in general discussion. i just figured you maintenance/mechanical guys would be better at coming up with unique solutions to everyday "obstacles". be it in the garage/shop or in the house :p thanks

Attachments

• 220px-Pizza_saver.jpeg
    220px-Pizza_saver.jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 2-Pack-Silicone-Body-Brush-Silicone-Back-Scrubber-Silicone-Sponge-Bristle-Sponge-Silicone-Spon...jpg
    2-Pack-Silicone-Body-Brush-Silicone-Back-Scrubber-Silicone-Sponge-Bristle-Sponge-Silicone-Spon...jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I generally use an enclosed drain pan, i set the filter in the top (or Funnel, whatever) and punch an air hole in the dome end. old small slotted driver, just takes one or 2 good whacks with a hammer.

You don't need anything that fancy---just some way to prop the filter above the receiving pan without blocking the holes.

For a spin-on filter with functional adbv to drain, you'll have to defeat the adbv, whether destructively (as per earlyre's post ) or non-destructively.

Back