Driving addiction, hard to cure

From an european's standpoint, north america's grid type roads seem a bit boring but at the same time more relaxing and simpler, especially for city driving.

This and hoarding motor oil are my only two addictions.
Hi my name is stock and I like to drive, sometimes I just drive couple of hours to buy motor oil that I don't need.
I am going to try acupuncture to see if it helps with my temptations to buy motor oil I don't need.

[sarcasm off}
Bro, nothing wrong with driving, once I was young and had hair and I drove everywhere, enjoyed the outdoor and had a ton of fun.

Heck, when I was in college, we would drive 5 hours to go to chicago for dinner.
Yolo!

Open roads, definitely. Rush-hour traffic not so much.

I have a 25-30 mile loop that I take from my house and back when I need to get away. I call it octane-infused velocity therapy.

I am 27, no problem asking! That's what i am thinking too. Now i don't mind leaving my car alone for a few days, like during the week ends and holidays.

This is how i felt when i had to drive my mom's Dacia for a week. 😉

What's funny is that living in the country i always want to drive and what i prefer is always highway driving and long distances but i avoid driving in the city at all cost, i absolutely hate it. The city turns the most relaxing task into something that really gets on my nerves. People make me nervous and are agressive.

Your whole problem, if you can call it a problem, is that you have two wonderfully driving cars. Sell them and get a boring Fiat or Citroen. Then driving will become a chore, or at least less fun.

I have the same problem with my E350, and it was even more so with the SL550 I used to drive. I actually get excited about the prospect of going for a drive. My wife feels the same way about riding. She will ride for hours in my E350 without fatigue. Yet a 3 hour trip to our son's house in the Outback leaves her sore.

It's a good problem to have. Continue to enjoy those fantastic driving machines.

I know people that never get in a car unless they drive.
I don't think they love driving but it is a fear or control issue.
I have a 73 year old cousin that way..
That is a problem not the love of driving.

I agree Bhopkins, even my old base model C180 and E250 do that to me. These cars are nothing special but i still find an enjoyment that i don't even find in "better" modern french and japanese cars i get to drive.

Yes, diesel would be around $6 per gallon, gas around $6.5, LPG around $3.50 and E85 slightly less than $3 if my conversions are good.

I'm 40ish years older than you are and I still like driving. A little differently perhaps that I did years ago. Whereas I once liked driving vehicles hard(er), now I'm sorta like the family dog. I just like going for a car ride.

Last edited:
I'm the same, i only like to drive fast if the car is fast and sporty. When driving i always look for ultimate smoothness and comfort and i am quite a sedate driver which can annoy some people. I did the experiment of putting a glass of water on the dash and being able to drive and shift without spilling a drop. I used to drive faster during my first two years but i would end up with tickets.

Haven’t gone on a drive with no destination in mind in a long time. I’ve been taking back roads home from work lately though. Takes the same amount of time, is a mile longer, but there is next to no traffic going into or from work. It’s also very scenic, makes me happy.

I have been driving a bit more like a reasonable human lately, turns out my truck IS capable of 19mpg! But there is also a 30ft burnout in my driveway because deep down I am a child... and I had to see if my limited slip diff actually worked;)

Attachments

• 1BE00069-6971-4BEB-852B-AA7EEF9BA48D.jpeg
    1BE00069-6971-4BEB-852B-AA7EEF9BA48D.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 12
Haven’t gone on a drive with no destination in mind in a long time. I’ve been taking back roads home from work lately though. Takes the same amount of time, is a mile longer, but there is next to no traffic going into or from work. It’s also very scenic, makes me happy.

I have been driving a bit more like a reasonable human lately, turns out my truck IS capable of 19mpg! But there is also a 30ft burnout in my driveway because deep down I am a child... and I had to see if my limited slip diff actually worked;)
Well, if you don't test the system, how do you know it will work when you need it? :D

I used to that be that way when I was younger, put 30k on a couple vehicles. Since I've started riding the bike I hate driving anymore unless it's the RV. You don't realize just how bad drivers are until you're not around them everyday. On the bike at least I can avoid alot of it and eat pie without worries.

Actually, wait.. since the cars I mentioned offer high driving desirability, that may be akin to offering an addict a large sum of money so.

Maybe only a Dodge 600 is the cure for this.

The only cure for this is to buy an 80s or 90s BMW.
Can’t have a drug addiction when you’re addicted to cars, the cars cost too much!

*checks ARH for headers for a Ram 1500*
yep... $1,700, plus $1000+ for an unlocked PCM, security gateway bypass, and custom tuning

I admit, I like driving.

However I won’t drive just to drive, I have to have a reason. But the more the better. The most I’ve done in a year was 36,000. Usually I average around 25,000.

My job is now requiring that I drive all over the place. Mostly up and down the East coast of the USA. Over 12,000 miles last month. (I am no longer allowed to airline, due to exposure risk to my boss)

Quite simply, I really enjoy driving, but droning on for hours on end is really annoying and I’d rather do almost anything else. Yet, there are times in those drives that are fun, and I do try to pick good routes.

Back