Driving addiction, hard to cure

I've been driving for 6 years now and i just can't control it. I HAVE to drive for whatever reason i can find, even driving other people places rather than letting them drive their own cars sometimes (which poeple seem to appreciate).
I drive 30 to 40k kms each year and i'd say half of it could be avoidable if i committed myself to writing shopping lists and stopped driving people around. I never let anyone drive even on a 10 hour drive. I've only been a passenger a few times when i'm really not interested in driving a specific car or if the person really really wants to drive.
I don't know if there are people like me out there. I don't know how to cure it. I feel like the only thing that could make me drive less would be the price of gas if i couldn't get E85 anymore or maybe having a car i hate like a french soap box. I even enjoyed driving all the clunkers Mercs i owned.

This and hoarding motor oil are my only two addictions.

Last edited:
During lock down it was definitely a curve. Pre-COVID I was driving around 32k/year -- that's about 51k km. Did that for 17 years. After several months I'm not sure anymore. Sometimes I feel a need to get out, but I'm no longer sure that I miss driving that much.

The lockdown was the worst for me. And yes i thought about becoming a truck driver. :D

I don't mind driving, but I don't feel the need to get out there at regular intervals.

I'm more likely to want to drive a vehicle to keep the rust off the rotors and key the vehicle in proper working order.

I hear ya! Speed limit was 70 in Oct of 73 when I drove to West Tx in my new Mazda RX3 at 110 - 120 mph. Nothing like driving at that speed with windows down. Mostly only got I speeding ticket per year until 2005 when I just didn't drive much anymore. I do drive the limit now, especially since their's a reasonable 80 mph limit on some Texas interstate. I now have the best of all my cars.....BMW X1 and Mazda RX8 and am waiting to see if I die or they die first.

There is no cure, only lessening of the hunger by getting some seat time.

You are not alone my friend.....you can share your addiction with friends.

UD

OP, how old are you, if I may ask?

I was like that when I was younger - in my 20s and early 30s. Not so much these days. So my thought is, you'll eventually outgrow it. :)
I am 27, no problem asking! That's what i am thinking too. Now i don't mind leaving my car alone for a few days, like during the week ends and holidays.
This can be easily cured by purchasing a prius.
This is how i felt when i had to drive my mom's Dacia for a week. 😉

What's funny is that living in the country i always want to drive and what i prefer is always highway driving and long distances but i avoid driving in the city at all cost, i absolutely hate it. The city turns the most relaxing task into something that really gets on my nerves. People make me nervous and are agressive.

I have always enjoyed driving, even as an adult.
What I think helps is that I do all the PM and small-mid repairs myself.

In the 1960's, it was common for the Parents to load up the family and go for a Sunday drive in the country.
Count cows and stop for some ice cream.

You've got some nice interesting roads there, that always makes a regular drive more fun. On my regular commute route there are almost no significant corners except for intersections and we don't even have round abouts here. The British surveyed out a grid of lots and concessions here so most roads in farm land follow that. A bit north of me the roads have to follow the terrain and are curvier but most of those have been upgraded so anything can do 100km/h on them easily.

Back