Driven - Direct Injection Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intake valve deposits are a concern in some engines, although probably overblown to a large degree. I contacted Driven a while back and they were very forthcoming about their Direct Injection Oils. I was impressed with their customer service.

They are all based on XOM mPAO technology, have a SA of .722 and do exceptionally well in the TEOST test. The 0w20 I believe is around 10 on the TEOST. These are nice options for GDI engines. Pricey, but they are using the XOM mPAO base oils and an additive system conducive for GDI engines.

The Driven line would be my go to boutique oil for a GDI engine if Mobil 1 wasn't available.

https://www.drivenracingoil.com/direct-injection-oils.html

Too rich for me. I'm sure 13.99/qt sounds good to people in some countries but I pay less than that for major brand 5qt jugs.

It's not expensive if it works though. I'm at the mercy of whatever Redline decides to charge me. If this oil guarantees me flawless reliability and its 13.99qt, I will just eat at home an extra meal a week to cover the cost. I don't have a DI engine for partly this reason but sadly the DI engine is probably here to stay.

That oil would double the value of my Hyundai!
lol.gif

I'm sure it's a great oil. Does any of their offerings have an API certification?

Originally Posted by Marco620
It's not expensive if it works though. I'm at the mercy of whatever Redline decides to charge me. If this oil guarantees me flawless reliability and its 13.99qt, I will just eat at home an extra meal a week to cover the cost. I don't have a DI engine for partly this reason but sadly the DI engine is probably here to stay.

At this time, Driven is the only boutique brand I'd even consider. Mobil 1 is so good for GDI engines it's almost pointless to use a boutique brand, but if I did I'd likely use Driven. They work very closely with the base oil and additive suppliers and create custom components.

*It's a high end option that is not necessary but if you want a top notch PAO based oil with a modern additive system for GDI engines, this is the oil.

The GDI engine has been around for over twenty years so yes it is here to stay.

Top ramen is still a cheap way to eat. Save some money, buy the Driven oil.

I'll stick with Valvoline or whatever is on sale for my GDI.

I've used Driven oils for years, notably their XP series racing oils and BR series break-in oils.

I have a VOA on DI30.

KV100 = 11.83
KV40 = 69.18
VI = 167.92

Ca = 1220
Mg = 5
Na = 0
Zn = 1079
P = 1060
Mo = 341
B = 0

This oil contains a good bit of organic additives that don't show up in ICP so don't worry about the lack of boron and magnesium. Sadly, ICP can only tell you so much. Like was mentioned, the base oil is PAO with slug of mPAO and POE.

Originally Posted by P7hk9
That oil would double the value of my Hyundai!
lol.gif

I'm sure it's a great oil. Does any of their offerings have an API certification?

No. They would have to hurt the performance of their oils to meet P and SA limits which isn't in their interest.

So a 20-foot ladder to get out of a 10-foot hole?
Instead of the 12-foot ladder that I'm using now...

And $13.99 a quart?!?
Hard pass...

All the more reason to keep your PI engine/vehicle running in tip top shape....

Last edited:
I have no problem paying $14/qt for good oil. Let's do the math here with $4/qt vs $14/qt. Let's say I change the oil every 7,500 miles or about twice a year.

With a 5 quart pan...

$4 x 10 = $40/yr
$14 x 10 = $140/yr

So $100 more per year. My total expenses for 2018 was just over $41,000.

$40 / $41,000 = 0.00098% of annual budget
$140 / $41,000 = 0.0034% of annual budget

Not worried about it. Use what works.

So over the 150K expected life of my car plus sales tax that will cost me $2,120.00 extra for the benefit. Not for me.
shocked.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I've used Driven oils for years, notably their XP series racing oils and BR series break-in oils.

I have a VOA on DI30.

KV100 = 11.83
KV40 = 69.18
VI = 167.92

Ca = 1220
Mg = 5
Na = 0
Zn = 1079
P = 1060
Mo = 341
B = 0

This oil contains a good bit of organic additives that don't show up in ICP so don't worry about the lack of boron and magnesium. Sadly, ICP can only tell you so much. Like was mentioned, the base oil is PAO with slug of mPAO and POE.

Thanks for sharing.

RDY4WAR said:
$4 x 10 = $40/yr
$14 x 10 = $140/yr
So $100 more per year. My total expenses for 2018 was just over $41,000./quote]

for me the numbers are more

$40 yr vs 280

I'll keep the extra ~$1000 in my pocket over 5 years and use an actual oil that meets the manufacturer certification ms-13340. pennzoil platinum

That being said anyone who does want to use it go ahead.. just avoid starbucks a couple times..(those trenta mango dragonfruit with lemonaid $5.xx ouch)

Maybe if I had something more worthy of a boutique oil.. mazda rx-8?? etc..

I use STP 5w20 full synthetic on the wifes Kia with the 1.6 Gamma GDI since new, the engine has 102k miles and has little to no carbon build up no more than any port injection engine I've worked on this was around the time the whole carbon build up craze was going on.

Originally Posted by Newman88
I use STP 5w20 full synthetic on the wifes Kia with the 1.6 Gamma GDI since new, the engine has 102k miles and has little to no carbon build up no more than any port injection engine I've worked on this was around the time the whole carbon build up craze was going on.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back