Dreaded Overfill Question?

I just picked up a new Tiger 900. Rode it 60 miles home and while I was looking at my new purchase at home noticed that the oil level in the sight glass was completely full. I don’t think by much, it I tilt the bike say 5 degrees the oil line comes into sight and when the engine runs there is no oil in the sight glass

I’m probably over thinking this but I know there is a danger of the crank whipping up excess oil into a foam and preventing proper lubrication.

1. if the crank whips the oil into a foam does it stay in that state even after the engine is cold?

2. if there is no oil present in the air box can I assume that their was not oil hitting the crank and no harm done?

3. If I drop a bit oil through the drain plug do I risk getting a bit of grit or dirt in the oil?

TIA

Attachments

• 1669287F-C634-4D85-A829-87166AE89DCD.jpeg
    1669287F-C634-4D85-A829-87166AE89DCD.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 51
The only thing I would be concerned about if it were mine is that the lack of extra space in the crankcase could of caused the main seals to be blown out and damaged. If it were mine I would reduce the oil to the proper level, and check the seals. If they are still OK forget about it and enjoy the new ride.

No harm done and I have repaired forklifts [a certain model] where the hydraulic pump would fail and fill the complete engine with oil untill it blew out the crank case ventilation pipe and made a huge mess on the floor. I would drain the oil. refill the crank case with engine oil put in a new pump refill the hydraulic sump and there never was any damage to the engine seals.
was the oil foamy? Clean the drain plug area and try to drain some oil.

No harm done and I have repaired forklifts [a certain model] where the hydraulic pump would fail and fill the complete engine with oil untill it blew out the crank case ventilation pipe and made a huge mess on the floor. I would drain the oil. refill the crank case with engine oil put in a new pump refill the hydraulic sump and there never was any damage to the engine seals.
was the oil foamy? Clean the drain plug area and try to drain some oil.

no, the oil wasn’t foamy but didn’t know if when the engine stops the foam disappears. I checked it about 20 mins after I turned off the engine and no foam in the sight glass.

The only thing I would be concerned about if it were mine is that the lack of extra space in the crankcase could of caused the main seals to be blown out and damaged. If it were mine I would reduce the oil to the proper level, and check the seals. If they are still OK forget about it and enjoy the new ride.
It has a breather valve to prevent to much pressure build up and would send excess oil to the air box. Was more concerned if the oil was foamy and not providing proper lubrication on a new engine.

but I guess if was foamy/whipped enough to do harm I’d see that in the sight glass, right? Like a glass of Guinness type of thing.

Where is the proper level on the sightglass? If the oil level is supposed to be near the top then it is barely overfilled.
I personally wouldn’t be too concerned, but would crack the drain plug to let the oil drip down to the correct level, just ‘cause.
I believe that level would have to be way overfilled to cause harm, especially over such a short distance.

Where is the proper level on the sightglass? If the oil level is supposed to be near the top then it is barely overfilled.
I personally wouldn’t be too concerned, but would crack the drain plug to let the oil drip down to the correct level, just ‘cause.
I believe that level would have to be way overfilled to cause harm, especially over such a short distance.
Thx. Here’s the oil sight.

Attachments

• 139CBD9C-6912-4686-A4C5-9EDE92E74084.jpeg
    139CBD9C-6912-4686-A4C5-9EDE92E74084.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 48
Wouldn't worry at all, it's probably only 100 - 200mL over, and it'll be drained at the first service anyway, which won't be far away.

I tilt the bike say 5 degrees the oil line comes into sight and when the engine runs there is no oil in the sight glass
Assuming the top notch on your glass is the high fill level, this means it's not very much extra at all.
3. If I drop a bit oil through the drain plug do I risk getting a bit of grit or dirt in the oil?
I'd think your biggest risk is letting out more oil than needed.

Oil level comes within view at 5 degrees from center is not a problem... oil level comes in view on the side stand is a problem...

What is the procedure in the owner's manual for checking the oil level?
On my bike, it says with a warm engine to place the bike upright, wait 5 minutes, then check the sight glass. Checking the oil level this way, it is full to the top line on the sight glass.
If I check it again the next day, after sitting all night in an upright position, the oil is at or above the top of the sight glass.

What is the procedure in the owner's manual for checking the oil level?
On my bike, it says with a warm engine to place the bike upright, wait 5 minutes, then check the sight glass. Checking the oil level this way, it is full to the top line on the sight glass.
If I check it again the next day, after sitting all night in an upright position, the oil is at or above the top of the sight glass.

Every bike I've owned with an oil level sight glass will show a lower oil level when stone cold vs fully hot 10~15 min after shutdown.

I agree if the hot level comes into view on the very top of the sight glass when the bike is slighly tilted from vertical, then it's not overly over-filled.

Not a problem. On my Tiger 800 I have had the level that high before with no issues.

A trick for checking the oil level if you don't have someone else to steady the bike:

1. Start with the bike having rested on the kickstand for a while. Enough that the sight glass is dry.
  2. Grab a bubble level and mount the bike without lifting it off the kick stand.
  3. Rest the bubble level on the gas tank cap
  4. Slowly stand the bike up until the bubble level reads centered, hold it there for a few seconds (longer in colder weather, shorter in warm weather).
  5. Slowly rest the bike back onto the kickstand and dismount
  6. Walk over to the side of the bike with the sight glass and you'll see the "mark" where the oil level topped off. (a flashlight can also help with seeing the mark if you shine it on the glass)

Every bike I've owned with an oil level sight glass will show a lower oil level when stone cold vs fully hot 10~15 min after shutdown.

I agree if the hot level comes into view on the very top of the sight glass when the bike is slighly tilted from vertical, then it's not overly over-filled.
Sounds reasonable, but this is how my Honda ST1300 acts. It takes a while for all the oil to drain back down, I guess. Oil level is always higher in the morning after sitting all night.

Sounds reasonable, but this is how my Honda ST1300 acts. It takes a while for all the oil to drain back down, I guess. Oil level is always higher in the morning after sitting all night.

Let it drain down hot for 20+ min and check it then, and then again in the morning when fully cold to see if it's lower.

Back