Dreaded Ford 3.5L / 3.7L water pump - How to extend the life.

There was a study by I believe Chevron about 20 years ago. They showed that propylene glycol coolant does not tear up a motor the way Ethylene glycol does when leaking into, and mixing with the oil.
Generally, glycol with silicate was bad for journal bearings - before lead-free bearings were introduced all rod/main bearings were made with a Babbitt overlay on steel shells. Coolant will wipe out the overlay.

Newer engines with aluminum-silicon alloy journal bearings might withstand coolant in oil situations better.

So is it possible the seal on the coolant side is lubricated by the coolant? If so, would using a stronger concentration of coolant, say 60-70%, keep the seal in good condition longer?

Originally Posted by oilboy123
There was a study by I believe Chevron about 20 years ago. They showed that propylene glycol coolant does not tear up a motor the way Ethylene glycol does when leaking into, and mixing with the oil.

That is interesting. Anyone know of a propylene glycol coolant that would work as a replacement for Motorcraft LV orange?

2015 Taurus, 3.5, 44k

Amsoil has a PG coolant, but it's $41.65 a gallon retail, preferred price (dealer) $29.95, still pretty high.

Prestone has LowTox: https://prestone.com/products?detail=AF555

Side note: if you live somewhere that has truly extreme low temperatures, PG is the only way. EG protection against freeze-up is actually less as concentrations increase above 70%. PG does not have this reversal-of-protection issue. A 100% PG mixture will prevent freeze-up anywhere on Earth except some parts of Antarctica.

It brings us to the question: Just how long should the accessories last? Only 2 % of vehicles are on the road past 200,000 miles. I've heard from other sources that it is 4%, so I'll give folks the benefit of the doubt and call it 5%. So what's an "early failure" ? Most cars leave their original owner at 6 years or under. That might average out to 120,000 miles. ( alternate data is welcome.)

I wonder what is the average mileage is when that 3.5/3.7 water pump piles up. The OP's water pump made it to 175,000 miles. It's too bad it costs so much to repair but we all know the manufacturers do not support the 2nd owner.
smile.gif
Hondas and Toyotas routinely keep on going well past 200,000 miles with only by-the-book maintenance. 300,000 miles without a major engine or transmission rebuild is common place.

Back