draining out r134 refrigerant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is is possible to drain out the R134 refrigerant by pressing in the shrader (sp?, that tire valve thingy) valve on the low side?

Yeah good question. They (epa) forced everyone into using the new refrigerant that doesn't work as good because it's supposedly no harm to the environment- but they STILL enforce the law that says you can't drain it into the air. Either it hurts the environment or not, the epa should give a more clear answer to the public...

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
Isn't it illegal to vent refrigerant into the atmosphere on purpose?

Well, when I cracked my line open in preparation of changing out the compressor, my garage door was closed and the back gate was locked. I also made sure there were no helicopters in the area.

Originally Posted By: gto78
Yeah good question. They (epa) forced everyone into using the new refrigerant that doesn't work as good because it's supposedly no harm to the environment- but they STILL enforce the law that says you can't drain it into the air. Either it hurts the environment or not, the epa should give a more clear answer to the public...

It's all black or white to you, huh? It's LESS harm, not NO harm.

As a propellant.

Wiki say:"Recently, R-134a has been subject to use restrictions due to its theorized contribution to climate change. In the EU, it will be banned as from 2011 in all new cars, and California may prohibit the sale of canned HFC-134a to individuals to avoid non-professional recharge of the air conditioner."

It is illegal for a professional to release refrigerant into the atmosphere, not a civilian. Same with engine coolant. A civilian can pour it down the sewer, and pro has to contain it.

You would still have the lines filled with R134a. It would not be under pressure, though.
What is your intent with 'emptying' the lines?

aside from the danger in freezing your finger, you really dont want to breath in the refriderant your body cant expel it, it has to be absorbed into the body, as the fellow above mentioned, i might bet tempted to loosen a fitting and let it bleed off slowly.

i fix furnaces and air conditioners for a living, i wouldnt bleed off the r 134a myself, not just because i have the right tools, which helps of course, its one of the things i can do to help protect our earth, such as recycling oil as i am sure guys do on this site, not saying i am enviromently perfect at all, i have my ways i need to improve on in that regard,

if i can help any one with advice regarding air conditioning or home heating i would like the opportunity to give back to the form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back