Doyle cast steel anvil from harbor freight

I got one of these for Christmas
https://www.harborfreight.com/65-lb-cast-steel-anvil-58924.html
So far I only used it to drive some rivets and stretch some battery hold down bolts but it seems to work fine.
Beating on rivets and a bolt didn't seem to dent the anvil surface.

I would like a real one but they usually start at $500 around here. Last time I went to an auction that had an anvil the biding started at 500...
So no my anvils are this and a piece of railroad track I milled flat for now.

An 18" piece of heavy railroad track has served me well for years as an anvil. Many years ago I was walking along some track and found a 3 foot section thrown to the side where they had inserted a new switch. Came back with my truck and got it. Had a buddy with an electric hack saw who cut it in half and we each got an 18" piece.

Over 25 years ago, I needed an anvil for a surface to pound things to fix farm equipment. Harbor Freight had a 50 pound one for $50 delivered. There was some kind of joke when I told the UPS guy the heavy package was an anvil. I has been great to have when I needed it. If I needed one now I would not hesitate to buy the one above.

An 18" piece of heavy railroad track has served me well for years as an anvil. Many years ago I was walking along some track and found a 3 foot section thrown to the side where they had inserted a new switch. Came back with my truck and got it. Had a buddy with an electric hack saw who cut it in half and we each got an 18" piece.

A piece of track with an old date would make for a great anvil. I've seen track with raised 1920's dates on it, I think the name of the mill was on there too.

I'd pay for an anvil made from vintage dated track, the older the better. I'm not an ironsmith and would probably use it a dozen times a year so it doesn't have to be perfect. It would make a great addition to the garage.

Good used anvils go for a buck a pound at most resellers/flea markets. One of the few tools I don't have in my garage along with a press and bead blaster. Ran out of room. The Harbor Freight one is tempting and I have a 25% off coupon. Hmmmm...

Good used anvils go for a buck a pound at most resellers/flea markets. One of the few tools I don't have in my garage along with a press and bead blaster. Ran out of room. The Harbor Freight one is tempting and I have a 25% off coupon. Hmmmm...
I wish I could find them for $1 per pound.
More like $2 to $5 per pound.

Good to know though! I was looking at those too! Maybe I will get one, HF has a -25% coupon this week, plenty of exclusions too!
But it brings the Braun 500 L work light down to $22.50!
HF - 25% 3.jpg

Anvils are real handy to have in your shop.
I have a few that I’ve acquired over the years and I won’t part with any of them.
Funny thing is that good anvils have always been pricey.
At least in my lifetime they have been and I’m in my 60’s.
But, depending on what you need an anvil for, you can make very good use out of a cheaper non heat treated anvil from a box store like HF.
But always keep your eyes open for a good anvil because you never know where one will turn up.
In fact, two of my anvils were located in Manhattan.
It’s probably the last place a wannabe blacksmith would ever look, but they are there if you know how to research and find them.

Anvils are real handy to have in your shop.
I have a few that I’ve acquired over the years and I won’t part with any of them.
Funny thing is that good anvils have always been pricey.
At least in my lifetime they have been and I’m in my 60’s.
But, depending on what you need an anvil for, you can make very good use out of a cheaper non heat treated anvil from a box store like HF.
But always keep your eyes open for a good anvil because you never know where one will turn up.
In fact, two of my anvils were located in Manhattan.
It’s probably the last place a wannabe blacksmith would ever look, but they are there if you know how to research and find them.
I'm surprised I didn't think of this till now.
I tested the harbor freight anvil for hardness with my Tsubosan files.
It's between a Rockwell C scale 55 and 60.
Feels like it closer to 55 then 60.
If I quenched it it probably won get much harder.
I quenched and tempered my RxR anvil, assuming it is 1080 steel and now it's closer to a 60.
Yeah after I shattered a 3/4 tungsten carbide end mill attempting to mill my RxR anvil. Then I annealed it and it was about a hardness of about 40. Only had to do that one time to learn. The tungsten carbide cutter went through that annealed steel like it was butter.

I have been beating this thing like a community anvil with my 6lb sawed off sledge hammer and it's holding up very well.

Does any company today still make as quality forged anvil?
Forged? I do not know. A few companies cast them. One company I heard of makes a big one that weighs over 400lb but the price was in excess of $1,000 back in like 2018.

I kinda hate you guys, now I need an anvil......

Not sure I'm getting one from HF though. I'd much rather find an old American one at a used marketplace somewhere.

Back