Dow Jones up, but from what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
Try a share or two of this, Warren Buffet's first "BHI" share offering "A" Not sure if there are any open shares, means you can't buy one! I would not doubt it if you can not buy any Options! You can't short it...

Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK-A)

NYSE - NYSE Delayed Price. Currency in USD

2W10W9M

$340,706.00 -2,149.00 (-0.63%)
At close: 4:05PM EST That's Down $2,149.00 Today, it was 180K/190K in 2008 I think.

You don't have to go crazy with the Brk-A shares, just get the BRK-B shares. They're basically worth 1/1500 of the A share and at about $227 a share right now, easier to buy than an A share.

So in 3-1/2 years, it is up 10,000 points or over FIFTY PERCENT

In 3-1/2 years. Please note that the market had not fell 60 percent before the rise to 28,000+

Just trying to point out how far the market is UP to the OP

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Some are taking profits and having their cash on the sidelines.

I can tell you that many shareholder boards voted to take dividends/ profits in 2019 due to fear of Nov 2020.

I feel a lot have come to realize their fears are subsiding due to events over the last 90 days. I can tell you that Nov 2020 was a subject discussed in many conference rooms and conference calls in Q2 and Q3 2019 but that subject isn't even brought up anymore when talking about budget planning.

I hope we are right.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I asked my coworker this question and he said its because the Trump train has no brakes.

It's pretty crazy, the numbers are huge and it makes you wonder if you should bother saving $10 on oil. But of course you do.

With the trade war on hold, they claim that's good for the market as it provides some certainty that wasn't there before.

Also for the previous poster, the total return of the Dow is actually greater than 50%. If you just go by the number, it doesn't factor in re-invested dividends. I think I ran one calculator with reinvested dividends and it was closer to 70%.

I think the message of investing is really lost to a lot of younger people today. A 70% return in 3.5 years means that $1 is now $1.70. 10k is now 17k, 100k is 170k, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back