Check brake fluid level in the brake
fluid reservoir. The level should be
between the MIN and the MAX
marks on the side of the reservoir.
Use only hydraulic brake fluid
conforming to DOT 3 or DOT 4
specification
(emphasis added).

But I have also heard the same about DOT 4 that if you go that way, you need to change it more often due to its susceptibility to absorb more moisture.
I went DOT 4 on my motorcycle, but I change it every year since it is so simple.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
My 2017 Sonata needs new brake pads - was thinking of doing a brake fluid drain and fill as well to remove built up moisture : Which specification do you find best for late model vehicles - DOT 3 or DOT 4 ?

ATE dot4 SL6

*How many ounces (to be safe) of brake fluid are required for the typical passenger car "bleed & refill" ?

Last edited:
The manual on my car instructs to bleed 250 ml from each corner for a proper brake fluid flush. I imagine it's similar for other cars.

I'm turning this to a teachable moment for those who have such a vehicle as many are unaware of it.

There are actually two different DOT 4 brakes fluids. Ford as an example has been specifying DOT 4 LV in many models for a few years. LV means low viscosity. Other auto makers such as VW and Audi also specify DOT 4 LV brake fluid.
Newer F150's spec DOT 4 LV.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I just changed my 2014 F-150 and glad I read the manual first...

Bosch ESI-6 or ATE type 200, slightly more expensive but in exchange for far superior boil point & viscosity. My 2011 Sonata loves it.

Back