Done With Glocks

Well no one knows me (really) and I don't know any of you. But you would Think that some one who has shot 10's of thousands of rounds, had 3 different instructors at a law enforcement academy, and is going for 3 more instructor ratings would know how to shoot. But who knows? And if it is me hopefully the P 365 willj work better for "me". The other thing is that like I said..5000+ rounds thru the 43 and 43 each-no problem. :shrug"

No Sir I don't know you. So you have enough experience to know a thing or too. That's a good starting point. What is your theory on why when new you had 30 or so stovepipes and then none for 5k rounds? I've not heard of this issue with any Glock so I'm interested. I do not have a 43; I have a 43X and no issues. Admittedly that is more apple to orange than apple to apple.

Be sure that you have not changed your grip and let someone else shoot then to see how they perform. In the case of a Glock, the grip (or lack thereof) also known as "limp wristing" is responsible for the vast majority of malfunctions. On the smaller framed Glocks (42, 43, 26, 27, 33), I can see how this can happen more readily.

My wife experienced the same situation when she first started shooting her Glock 19, but over time she realized what was needed to control the grip and the gun functioned normally thereafter.

Wne I can say. A while back I super limp wristed it and it worked every time. I saw tests of theP365 and same result.

I looked at the Kahr PM9 but ruled it out bc of the DAO trigger..too bad. Not saying that's bad but its my mindset.

Or am I wrong and it is not DAO I have read both 🤷

Last edited:
my one-word, no-drama answer to a glock: revolver.

Attachments

• 0DAA17F1-7A13-4442-9E40-C60B92825C8C.jpeg
    0DAA17F1-7A13-4442-9E40-C60B92825C8C.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 16
So the issue is the guy is using it wrong? Sounds like an Apple excuse for poor design.

Anyone proficient in shooting should be able to pick up any gun that they have never shot (after a quick familiarization with controls) and be able to shoot it without malfunction (not related to ammo).
If I have to hold my wrist a certain way or change how I shoot for a gun to operate, I would not want that gun.

That said, I have never shot a Glock, so no idea personally with how they operate. No idea if I would shoot one "right" or not.

Wne I can say. A while back I super limp wristed it and it worked every time. I saw tests of theP365 and same result.

I looked at the Kahr PM9 but ruled it out bc of the DAO trigger..too bad. Not saying that's bad but its my mindset.

Or am I wrong and it is not DAO I have read both 🤷

Trust me brotha!!! I've spent decades looking for the "right" pocket weapon. Meaning small and easy to carry; in 9mm or above; and not painful to shoot. The Kahr PM series is really the perfect size. Accurate to boot. Kahr PM40 is a little too much AND not a fan of 5 plus 1. PM9 is a really a weapon you can handle readily BUT the triggers on the PM series are just not conducive to accuracy. It takes a lot of practice. I'm lucky I have a really great gunsmith who was a cop in the area I work (he moved to PA but only an hour away from me). We have talked often about the Moon designs and the negative factor is the super long trigger. Unfortunately you can't have a smith work it. Not much can be done due to the design. It's not crunchy but it's slacky and long if you know what I mean. Try one and you'll know what I mean. I carried one for a few years and liked everything about it but the trigger. I keep round counts on all of my weapons. I had just under 2k through it.

It is a DAO.

Guessing but it sounds like you might be a salty dog! You may not be interested in a revolver but if you are open....take a look at the Ruger LCR 38/357. The Houge grip is excellent; shoot cheaper 38 for training and I've found the Remington Golden Saber to be a soft 357 for carry and good performance from the round as well. Buffalo Bore also has some softer and low flash rounds for the short barrel revolvers. I use these rounds in my S&W M&P 340 which is only 15 oz unloaded. AND it's a big AND I am NOT a fan of Ruger. Says a lot!

It's hard to find the right SD gun that is fun to shoot and easy to carry. Good luck! Everyone is different. For me I've found the Glock 43X to be just right. And while the capacity from Glock is 10 rounds, Shield Arms makes a steel 15 round magazine. You do have to change the mag release to a steel one. Easy to do and cheap. The magazines are as reliable as the stock 10 rounders. 15 Rounds in a pistol that size is amazing.

History: Own three..42, 43, 26

First one I bought was my 42. Initially maybe 30 stovepipes after that 5000 rounds..no failures. Then and now one stovepipe out of 200 failures. Installed a new spring. No improvement.

Next my G43. Almost no failures out of 5000+ rounds. Then stovepipes and failure to eject. Replaced spring. No improvements.

G26. Stovepipes from the beginning.

All have had different ammo. Instructors have tried all three.

Conclusion: Statistically this is not enough sample size to confirm that Glocks have a general problem. I think its just a fluke that I have had problems.

My plan: Send all of them back to the factory. And then sell them to my local dealer. With all three I can buy the Sig Sauer P365. Obviously that can't happen now as they are not available for sale.
I have a Ruger LCP 380. The gun has never malfunctioned for me. Two of the three folks I have had shoot it (all experienced pistol shooters) have had malfunctions. Probably not relevant but the nonmalfunction shooter and I are prior military. The others are not.

I have a Ruger LCP 380. The gun has never malfunctioned for me. Two of the three folks I have had shoot it (all experienced pistol shooters) have had malfunctions. Probably not relevant but the nonmalfunction shooter and I are prior military. The others are not.
The LCP can be limp wristed. I have done it numerous times. I carried it for 2 years. Never one Malfunction. But is very inaccurate (for me). With my 42 I can do 4" groups all days at 30'. With the LCP I struggle to do 6". And the trigger is loooong and almost DAO. In my view terrible.

The LCP can be limp wristed. I have done it numerous times. I carried it for 2 years. Never one Malfunction. But is very inaccurate (for me). With my 42 I can do 4" groups all days at 30'. With the LCP I struggle to do 6". And the trigger is loooong and almost DAO. In my view terrible.
I disliked the LCP when I first tried it.

My understanding is that the trigger is greatly improved with the LCP II.

That said, I would choose the Sig P365 over nearly everything else out there. Fine gun. Great choice.

Late to the game here ( I hate breakdowns) Hope you solve the problem.

I don't own a Glock and have serviced only a few so I would quickly defer to Biscuts much greater experience as an armorer who has his hands on these almost daily but in general terms for autos in general...

As Astro stated, any number of things can cause feed/ejection malfunctions ( resulting in stove pipes) and some can be extremely difficult to duplicate and catch "in the act".

Assuming such a long stretch with no malfunctions, I suggest looking at the ammo definitely and are any of them steel cases?

I have had some chamber issues where the finish in the chamber ( brass versus steel) caused a micro second worth of "hang" causing it to fire out of time and pipe. ( one of those 10,000:1 things after all hair is otherwise pulled out)

Has this been looked at?

Obviously you don't have something "broken" or worn to the point of constant failure ( would have already been discovered and eliminated) so maybe start looking at the other end

Are you getting them clean under the extractor? Common place to miss if you are not purposeful about it and build up there can cause the problems you describe.

Also, what do you mean the Sig P365 “are not available for sale”?

Gun stores literally have almost no guns to sell. Depends on where you are but.. apparently, they are all bought up.

I say almost because, as a store, you would think it their business to stock up, order more, fill orders.. hence, my optimism. But there seem to be none for sale due to being all sold, as mentioned in an above post..

Happy someone else has experienced the same. Makes me wonder how the private sellers on armslist.com are faring, if anyone really needed one.

The google says:

A stove pipe is when a shell casing is not fully ejected from a gun when it cycles. This causes the gun to not return to battery (ready to fire with a shell chambered and the chamber closed).

Use stronger ammo ? Have to give the slide enough force to cycle back. The whole mechanism, actually.

Astro14 you seem an avid shooter, would you agree or disagree with that statement. Maybe a higher grain round in the specified caliber?

Back