DOHC/Timing chain Mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I have a 2012 GM Inline 5 cyl 3.7 with a DOHC and a big timing chain, looking for maximum anti-wear for the cam lobes but mostly for this timing chain, as its a bear to change out.

The mix I have on hand I was going to use is 6qts SM M1 0w40 and a can of Lubro-Moly Mos2, that's looking like it should give me a boat of my anti wear adds.

OR...should I go with just M1 dexos 5w30 as I know that's a stringent spec.

Looking at these VOA's I'll probably go with my mix? thoughts?

LM
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...9/lubro-moly-mos2-antifriction-treatment

SM 0w40
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1722539/mobil-1-0w40-voa

Here's my opinion.
The tiniest particles in used engine oil affect the timing chain and it's related components while not affecting other engine parts.
So if your concerned about such wear, I recommend shorter oil change intervals such as 5K miles.
UOA's wont show you the wear rate of the timing chain in my opinion.

Seriously, which lubricated parts seem to wear out inside of today's modern engines? The timing chain and it's related components.

Awhile back, someone posted a study that indicated a 10w offered more timing chain wear protection than a 5w or 0w.

Based on that I would consider a 10w-40 summer and your 0w-40 for winter.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Here's my opinion.
The tiniest particles in used engine oil affect the timing chain and it's related components while not affecting other engine parts.
So if your concerned about such wear, I recommend shorter oil change intervals such as 5K miles.
UOA's wont show you the wear rate of the timing chain in my opinion.

Seriously, which lubricated parts seem to wear out inside of today's modern engines? The timing chain and it's related components.

A great post here in my opinion ^^↑^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by skyactiv

I guess we should all be running added-on bypass oil filters

Thanks guys, Trav I do believe the MoS2 will be a benefit as the 0w40 is lacking some IMO for this application, I do plan on shortening the OCI to 5k tops and using a FRAM ultra.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Awhile back, someone posted a study that indicated a 10w offered more timing chain wear protection than a 5w or 0w.

Hmmm I must have missed that, thanks for the tip I may consider that next OC.

Originally Posted by JLTD

Interesting since under operating temps where the engine spends most of its time, any xW30 will be a 30 assuming that 0x or 5x or 10x had relatively similar hths to begin with. Were they talking about 10W shearing less as oppose to 0 or 5W?

I will have to search for this study!

Last edited:
If one is concerned with VIIs, while motor oil has improved, I'm not sure a 10w-40 would be my choice of oils. If running conventional and worried about VIIs, I'd be looking to a 10w-30 or a 15w-40 first, assuming one isn't interested in monogrades (again, leaving aside the other end of the spectrum, high end VII free multigrades which are also, by definition, monogrades).

I guess so
Never knew the tiny particles affect the timing chain so much
I'm not gonna worry about my rod and main bearings my rings and valve seals and guides anymore
I'll sleep better at night now ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Originally Posted by daman
Thanks guys, Trav I do believe the MoS2 will be a benefit as the 0w40 is lacking some IMO for this application, I do plan on shortening the OCI to 5k tops and using a FRAM ultra.

Other than advertising hype do you have evidence MoS2 does anything?

Just run the A3 0w40 and sleep well at night. It is a full SAPs formulation and is well additized in the proper balance for the quality additives it uses. Adding other antiwear additives could render the package less effective than as designed.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Well sure, Mo is a friction modifyer is added to oil in the first place right? if there is no benefit why is it there.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Well sure, Mo is a friction modifyer is added to oil in the first place right? if there is no benefit why is it there.

What benefit is it for you to add it? You did not research, develop, test, and refine it while adding it to a finished product. At best it's doing no harm.

My understanding, from reading this forum, was that motor oils that have certain additives, would have those additives cancelled out if you add another additive-filled lubricant to the mix. Am I understanding that wrong? At the most, I couldn't imagine it doing any harm to the engine, but, it wouldn't benefit it, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back