Does the oil dip stick show the correct level with BP filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I installed the Frantz filter, I replaced the full flow oil filter without changing the oil. I pre-filled the FF oil filter and Frantz canister without adding anymore oil to the engine. I checked the oil dip stick right after engine turned off. It showed oil level well passed the maximum mark.

When the engine is turned off, will there still be some oil pressure left in the Frantz canister that pushes the remaining oil into the engine? The Frantz filter sits lower then the oil cap to where the oil is returned.

I forgot to mention that the Frantz filter sits higher than the adaptor from where the oil is drawn.

The Frantz will remain full, but there will be no oil pressure to speak of when the engine is turned off. My filters are all higher than the oil "in" and "out" and I know the filters drain in a matter of minutes when hot. I would imagine either the in or out lines will drain the oil from the filter if the frantz is higher in elevation. In other words, I don't think the in/out lines mean anything when the engine is off - either one will drain the oil if the elevation is right.

After trial and error, my bypass filtered engines all have the oil over the high mark on the dipstick when the engine is cold (and oil has drained back into the pan). Immediately after turning the engine off (perhaps 1 minute) the level is on the mark. Of course installations, hose length, filter elevation, and engine type all will be factors. The bottom line for me was I put the mfg spec volume of oil in, added 1 quart for the bypass filter and stick with that.

When you change the TP (I assume some of oil in Frantz filter has already drained back into the engine), then a quart of fresh oil is added. Wouldn't this cause overfill especially after several TP changes?

Sometimes the oil is so clear from the bypass filter that the level is hard to recognise. Also, when the filter/engine is draining there maybe splashes on the dipstick that make it hard to read. In any case, look at both sides of the dipstick and use the lowest level.

I guess I had better change the oil and TP now, and find the reference high mark on the dipstick after 4 quarts of oil is put into the engine. Then I will add another quart of oil for Frantz filter. When I change the TP next time, I will drain some oil until the level reaches the reference high mark after taking out the dirty TP. With a Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve already installed I can control the amount of drained oil easily. Then I will add one quart of oil with the new TP in place. What do you think?

I am currently planning to install a Frantz transmission filter and will have to deal with this same issue. Even though the Echo engine has a drain bolt, it will be difficult to control drainage. It will be nice to be able to stop the fluid draining back into the transaxle during TP change. Any suggestions on how to do that? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back