Does Napa gold 7151 meet SAE/USCAR-36/USC-D - New F350 6.7 Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

We just got a F-350 6.7 Powerstroke and its time for its first oil change. We do our own maintenance.

I can't get a straight answer from the dealer so decided to ask the forum.

The ford manual says if Motorcraft Oil filter is not available we can use a different filter that meets SAE/USCAR-36/USC-D spec.

For the life of me I can't find any info on which filters meet this spec. It seems like such list does not exist. We use Napa Gold 7151 for our older 6.7 powerstroke trucks.

This is the website for the organization that oversees the spec:

I also checked with NAPA and they said they don't know anything about their filter meeting such spec.

So what do I do? Just get out of my way to get MC FL-2051S just for the new truck until the warranty is out?

How hard is it to get the MC filter from someplace? Some would argue that for a new vehicle, receipts are key, and having a receipt with the OE filter might be useful if you encounter issues...

It would be nice to know what those specs/standards actually mean.

How hard is it to get the MC filter from someplace? Some would argue that for a new vehicle, receipts are key, and having a receipt with the OE filter might be useful if you encounter issues...

Its more about convenience and principle than actually being hard to get the filters.

Their filters are made by Wix so I know they are quality I’m not sure exactly on the standards they meet. You may be able to read on the box and look for the standards.

Its more about convenience and principle than actually being hard to get the filters.

The question wasn’t intended to be derogatory. It legitimately was relative to the difficulty to get that filter from a “convenience” standpoint (e.g., does walmart or amazon or your favorite parts place carry them).

I’m not as sure I buy the principle part. That said, I don’t know how many options are out there... or what the spec actually says. If it’s overly constraining, there may be good rationale, maybe not... but it doesn’t seem that imposing a spec for a filter is a bad thing or a principled item. Of course the spec could be overly restrictive in some way, limiting options.

Not really relevant to this thread, but the Motorcraft filter is not made by the OE manufacturer.

Not really relevant to this thread, but the Motorcraft filter is not made by the OE manufacturer.

Sigh.

If one buys a filter from the dealer, they have a paper trail. I dont care who makes it. Notionally this is best for warranty documentation. Next best is a Ford filter that meets the spec and is designated in the manual. From there, any option that meets the spec would be fine, assuming one has the details.

Sigh.

If one buys a filter from the dealer, they have a paper trail. I dont care who makes it. Notionally this is best for warranty documentation. Next best is a Ford filter that meets the spec and is designated in the manual. From there, any option that meets the spec would be fine, assuming one has the details.

Sigh.

The question wasn’t intended to be derogatory. It legitimately was relative to the difficulty to get that filter from a “convenience” standpoint (e.g., does walmart or amazon or your favorite parts place carry them).

I’m not as sure I buy the principle part. That said, I don’t know how many options are out there... or what the spec actually says. If it’s overly constraining, there may be good rationale, maybe not... but it doesn’t seem that imposing a spec for a filter is a bad thing or a principled item. Of course the spec could be overly restrictive in some way, limiting options.

I don't have a problem with having a spec for filters. I am happy to buy only qualifying filters. The principle part is that I want to have a choice and for that to be the case the spec has to be widely recognized and transparent, not some shady, vague thing that you can't find anything about.

Edit: Also calling the dealer parts department their response was "I have never heard about this spec, you better buy our filters or else" This was after I told them the spec is in the Manual of our brand new f350...

Edit 2: Emailed Wix to see if they say anything about the NG 7151

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with having a spec for filters. I am happy to buy only qualifying filters. The principle part is that I want to have a choice and for that to be the case the spec has to be widely recognized and transparent, not some shady, vague thing that you can't find anything about.

Edit: Also calling the dealer parts department their response was "I have never heard about this spec, you better buy our filters or else" This was after I told them the spec is in the Manual of our brand new f350...

Agree. The most disappointing thing to me in all this is that we dont really know much about this new spec...

WIX filters meet the spec, therefore NAPA Gold would meet that same spec. It doesn't matter what the spec is or how new it is. The Ford parts counter guy talks like a gangster.

It's not a new spec, unless you've been under a rock for seven years. There's not much to it. Pressure rating, micron rating (95% @ 30 micron?!?!?!), and antidrainback seep rate. Pretty much anything you guys can find is going to meet this spec. Even that cheap Motorcraft. If you want a good filter, get a Donaldson. But that's another thread.

It's not a new spec, unless you've been under a rock for seven years. There's not much to it. Pressure rating, micron rating (95% @ 30 micron?!?!?!), and antidrainback seep rate. Pretty much anything you guys can find is going to meet this spec. Even that cheap Motorcraft. If you want a good filter, get a Donaldson. But that's another thread.

Well I have been under a rock. So now that I have crawled out of under said rock I want to find information about the spec and a list of qualifying filters.
The ford dealer does not know / say anything about it.
The NAPA stores I deal with have never heard about it and said their system / filters do not mention the spec.
The USCAR website does not say what the spec is or which filter meet it.

I am not a mechanic by trade neither I follow the diesel engine filter news very closely in my spare time, so to me this is new.

Donaldson filters were the go-to products for Chevy and the ocassional Ford diesel pickup trucks found in Alyeska Pipeline Service Company's pump station maintenance shops. Alyeska maintains the trans-Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS). This included heavy equipment and larger trucks as well.

I should know, for I was there 3 years... 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off. Worked 12-hour days for 14 days straight, with the last 4 hours of each day being OT.

I miss having half the year off and still making six-figs. Really do.

The only downside was dealing with -55 deg F for nigh on a week. Walking 100 to 200-feet between buildings was even a challenge! Then there was the occasional unbelievable blizzard where I couldn't even walk or drive a truck between buildings (for 3 days I slept in my office and survived on coke and chips). I couldn't see past the length of my arm with the wind and snow blowing 60 to 80 mph (30 to 35-foot high snow drifts against the 3-story dorm / office bldg at Pump Station #1). Remember that I learned quick to close off my PU's outside air vents when that horrible blizzard blew in snow, completely filling the driver's and passenger foot-wells and leaving about 6-inches on my bench seat.

So many other weather related events that would curl toes and make sane people shake their heads... not enough time.

Those Donaldson prods are good stuff, Maynard.

Last edited:
My son was thinking about that but decided against it. He was actually considering offshore oil rigs in Gulf of Mexico. He decided to go for something more recession proof that still pays a ton of money but with more job security.

My son was thinking about that but decided against it. He was actually considering offshore oil rigs in Gulf of Mexico. He decided to go for something more recession proof that still pays a ton of money but with more job security.
The money was good. But the experiences were worth even more! I still own a home north of Anchorage, and am planning to go back to Alaska ASAP. Wisconsin is way too crowded.

Alaska and Alaskans are real and genuine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back