Does motor oil dissolve lithium grease?

I'm going to rebuild a small single cylinder diesel generator tomorrow and I don't have any assembly grease. I've got some Lucas red and tacky lithium grease and I'm planning on using that to grease the cams and bearings as it takes a while for the oil to get to some parts of the engine. Does this stuff mix and dissolve in to the motor oil or will it just cause problems?

I'm going to rebuild a small single cylinder diesel generator tomorrow and I don't have any assembly grease. I've got some Lucas red and tacky lithium grease and I'm planning on using that to grease the cams and bearings as it takes a while for the oil to get to some parts of the engine. Does this stuff mix and dissolve in to the motor oil or will it just cause problems?

Why not coat the roaring parts in motor oil? If it’s going to be fired up fairly quickly this avoids a dry start. I’d do that before using grease if I didn’t have assembly lube.

Just my $0.02

I’ve seen someone mix white grease and ATF as assembly lube. If anything and that’s all you got/want to avoid a trip to the parts store I’d cut the Lucas grease with some motor oil to thin it out.

can you rotate the engine by hand without installing the injector so you can prime the oil system? That would be my first strategy to get oil up into the upper end.

Back