Does full synthetic make your car run better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After switching to full synthetic oil (from conventional), I noticed the following:

1) Easier cranking in the winter
2) Engine was quieter
3) During the winter, the engine oil feels much less viscous immediately after moving off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pitzel
No difference, but I am able to run extreme OCI's with synthetic (ie: 60k+ miles). Which I don't think would be a possibility with dino.

GM 3.1L LH0 V6 engine.

You run 60k OCIs?

Name brand synthetic is roughly 67% more expensive, so it would make sense that you'd get around 67% more power.

Right?

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by FetchFar
Originally Posted by Merkava_4
. Why? What am I missing? .... Does full synthetic really make that much of a difference in the way the engine runs? ...

Synthetics produce less ring deposits, well known for that.

Very true. Many engines that begin to use oil have ring coking. I have seen rings completly seal off with carbon deposits. Synthetic oil will greatly reduce this even with much longer OCIs than dino. Any time you see varnish, which is caused by oil oxidation, coking may become a problem.

For a sound engine, synthetic oils like M1 or PP will give several advantages over dino.

Proof?

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by pitzel
No difference, but I am able to run extreme OCI's with synthetic (ie: 60k+ miles). Which I don't think would be a possibility with dino.

GM 3.1L LH0 V6 engine.

You run 60k OCIs?

Yuppers... Haven't changed oil since George W was in office on that vehicle.. I made a thread with some pics of the oil pan and valve covers removed at various times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back