Does full synthetic make your car run better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont even care..personally I run synthetic and change oil twice or three times a year..i guess im wasteful but for 25$ a jug of any good brand syn (m1, pu, pp) I could care less. I dont find any difference, for the negilgable benefit, im willing the negligable cost difference. Better cold starts...a bit better mileage (using 0w20)..i will keep using syn.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I had a chance to dyno test several syn/conventional lubes in a 355cid Chebby. No difference.

The only slight difference observed were changes in viscosity.

That's what I've seen, also. Except it was a friend's 144whp horsepower Honda.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
I agree with ,dragrace, here at bandimere's we see it all the time synthetic oils 2 sec faster then conventional and 3.5 sec. with red line oils

Wow, 2 whole seconds from changing oil. I'm not even going to bring my car to the track anymore. I'll just use syn in my tow rig and beat Mustang's and Camaro's easily.

YES. It makes my car run better, longer, very consistent. I have a Mustang with 300k+ miles and it's always had Mobil1 in it, it's entire life. The power is there, consistent, strong sounding. Keeps rippin' it as a sick V6!
-I use synthetic in every fluid. Always fresh too..: power steering, transmission, differential, engine, anything wet & slippery, I put Amsoil on it.

Motorcraft makes "best in the business" products too. oil filters, gear oil additive, gears, cables, tons of stuff ect..

The question you should ask is if you feel a difference at the end of your OCI say at 5000 or 7500 miles,

Did the oil change change wornout oil to new oil; or was the oil still good at the end of the interval?

I suppose the only difference would be during the winter. I have nothing to base on in my Accord, its always had synthetic while I have owned it. Out of all the oils I have tried PU 5w20 and TGMO 0w20 have ran the best, quietest anyway, or at least thats how I feel. The Uplander is more noisy on synthetics, but I like the extra protection.

I never notice a difference, myself, but I never do, either.
wink.gif

1. Easier starts in winter, for sure. Engine ready to get to work a lot sooner, without a long warm up. Since the oil gets flowing faster, the engine runs quieter than it did when I had conventional oil

2. Been using Mobil 1 in my '09 Tacoma since the initial oil change. Now have 165,000 miles on it. OCI between 7500 and 9000 miles consistently. Never have any smoke upon start up and never have to add oil in between oil changes. I wouldn't call it a boutique oil. If Mercedes and Porsche use it out of the factory, you have to give that serious consideration. Germans know beer, beautiful women, and what makes a car go and last a long time.t

3. This has nothing to do with the way the vehicle runs, but the increased OCI is a great thing, especially between the end of fishing season in December and the start of the new one is April...

Last edited:
Do the freezer test with one synthetic and one conventional and make a judgement of which pours better after being in freezer for 24+ hours. Was reading redline oil has one that will do -70. Dont know if you need something that intense but its nice to know it exists in the event of zombie outbreaks. Alaska region and antartica get darn cold so I'd like to think a better oil gives me 1+ chance to survive the walkers.

No difference except for one oil. I do perceive a difference with QSGB making my engine the quietest.

here is what I really think synthetic oil does.. If you have a new car and after the break in period you use nothing but a full synthetic oil.. You get more like new miles from your engine. Compared useing conventional oil.

Also with synthetic there is less wear and slight better gas mileage but very slight.

However to buy a used car with 150K miles that has probably always had conventional oil and put FULL SYN will probably just make it noisy.. or can possibly clean that engine so well it can clean the sludge out .. Sludge that was attached to gaskets and once that sludge is gone you get leaks.

however if you have a new car or you buy a car with low miles, useing synthetic is good.

And you do not have to spend big $.. Walkmart Supertech from what Im told is a good synthetic and is about the same $ as conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm always hearing comments like, "once you go synthetic, you'll never go back." Why? What am I missing? And then I'll read reviews on Amazon about Royal Purple and people will say things like, "my engine feels more lively now; the engine revs up quicker." Does full synthetic really make that much of a difference in the way the engine runs? Because if it does, that would be a good reason for buying it. But if it doesn't and you're a guy like me who enjoys sliding under the car twice a year, then that would mean I'd have to cut back to once a year with synthetic and the thought of that is disheartening. I cherish my under-car time.

Does for me. Noticed a slight gain in mpg when we switched back in '03.

Now, living in northern MT, synthetic 0wxx is a requirement when it is 30 below.

I am surprised you use dino, with your severe concerns about sludge and varnish!

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I am surprised you use dino, with your severe concerns about sludge and varnish!

OK expand on that -- Do you think synthetic reduces the risk of varnish formation ?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: DirtyMoe21
Better starting in cold weather is all ive noticed.

In TX? You got jokes,huh?

No joke. While it doesn't go below 0 here, it's a humid 100 degrees in the summer and we do get some single digit windchill weather. That's a 90 degree temperature difference, I can certainly tell the difference on those cold days. There's no difference in hot weather because ambient temps.

Last edited:
buy a bottle of each and leave it outside and compare them.
Being in Cali, you probably won't see any diff.

Why I do Syn:
1. flow better at start when it is -14F outside
2. won't degrade and gunk up when I drive 1 mile to groceries for months.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
. Why? What am I missing? .... Does full synthetic really make that much of a difference in the way the engine runs? ...

Synthetics produce less ring deposits, well known for that.

Very true. Many engines that begin to use oil have ring coking. I have seen rings completly seal off with carbon deposits. Synthetic oil will greatly reduce this even with much longer OCIs than dino. Any time you see varnish, which is caused by oil oxidation, coking may become a problem.

For a sound engine, synthetic oils like M1 or PP will give several advantages over dino.

I tend to believe it's only because synthetics are usually made on the thinner side of the viscosity grade. Less effort to circulate the oil can result in a slight (though small) increase in power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back