Does all used ecoboost engine oil smell like gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brothers 2016 Fusion doesn't have fuel smell, but he only runs 93 octane gas. He gets about 30 mpg on summer gas in mixed city/hwy driving.

I've driven the car and much prefer the 2.0 ecoboost vs my NA 3.0. The torque comes on much sooner and stays through the rev range. The only problem he has had so far was due to a hungry rat chewing some wiring

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
My brothers 2016 Fusion doesn't have fuel smell, but he only runs 93 octane gas. He gets about 30 mpg on summer gas in mixed city/hwy driving.

I've driven the car and much prefer the 2.0 ecoboost vs my NA 3.0. The torque comes on much sooner and stays through the rev range. The only problem he has had so far was due to a hungry rat chewing some wiring

What does running 93 oct have to do with anything?

Originally Posted by TiGeo

Allows a leaner mixture, hence less dilution. On 87 octane The turbo direct injected engines run rich to control knock. 93 octane resists knock, allowing a leaner mixture, more boost, etc etc

Originally Posted by TiGeo

Allows a leaner mixture, hence less dilution. On 87 octane The turbo direct injected engines run rich to control knock. 93 octane resists knock, allowing a leaner mixture, more boost, etc etc

Only if the ECU is tuned that way. If it's tuned for 87 that's not the case turbo or not.

Yes, and the ecoboost is able to take advantage of 93 with stock tuning.

Like any vehicle with a turbo, you can typically achieve *slightly* better performance (mainly at WOT) using higher octane fuel which doesn't mean it runs like crap on regular. My point was that I don't believe that running premium will give a major decrease in fuel dilution if the engine was base-tuned to run on 87. I'll leave it there, the premium fuel argument is always entertaining!

2.7L with 18k miles here. no noticeable fuel smell on last weekend's 8,000 mile OCI oil change. had about 12-15 hours towing on this oil, with half of that the weekend before.

None of my cars' oil have ever smelled even a hint of gasoline....just smelled like old oil smell, kind of sour. I used Valvoline oil....once..and it was the worst smell ever, like putrid rotten oil mixed with vomit...I went back to SOPUS, normal smell.

I wonder how the ecoboost oil smells in comparision to a Honda 1.5L oil?

I don't think the 2017-up F-150s with dual port/direct injection EcoBoost have the same issues as earlier F-150 EcoBoost or non-F150 EcoBoost. My 2014 SHO oil would smell like fuel at 7500 miles, and that was straight up direct injection.

Two observations that have absolutely zero quantitative meaning - colors of the oil and the smell of gas in the oil.

Observing the oil is dark tells you nothing meaningful. Observing the oil smells like gas tells you nothing meaningful. There's a reason UOAs don't come back with a color and gas smell observation as part of the their assessment.

Last edited:
Changed the oil in my wife's 1.5L EB Fusion last week. No hint of fuel smell whatsoever.

My '18 3.5 ecoboost smells pretty gassy when changed. Significantly more so than my 05 Tundra ever did, but I attribute it as the nature of the beast with direct injection and forced induction.

Sometimes my eb smells strong and sometimes I don't notice it. Every oil change I've done an analysis and have not noticed any correlation.

Just changed the oil in My 2016 2.0 fusion... Never really noticed any fuel smell... Always run 91 octane fuel

Originally Posted by loneryder
A thread on oil sniffing! What next? How often do you sniff your oil? How often should I sniff the oil on my (new, used, old) car?
lol.gif

Even though my engine is not DI, can you tell me how often I should sniff my dipstick when I see the oil level getting darker, in order to tell when to change it?
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
spankme2.gif

Seriously OP, you might want to try a UOA.
thumbsup2.gif

Just gave mine a sniff. No bueno.

I asked my wife if she could smell any gas. My sniffer isn't always calibrated. She scoffed at me and said the only time she smells gas is when we get into bed at night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back