Dodge 42RLE transmission fluid change. Or not?

I know the answer but want your opinions......

On my ford 4R70W, 4R75E variants, I have never caused a failure by changing the fluid and filter. Even when the fluid was poor.

I have a 42RLE in a dodge nitro, and with 150k I do not know the history. It shifts perfect but I experianced a neutral flare after a very sharp right had turn. I think it sucked air from the super aggressive turn and it being a touch low. The fluid is a brownish motor oil color and smells stale, not burnt! I heard ATF+4 does not retain its color dye very well with age. And acceptable fluid can look bad and not smell burnt.

I want to pull the pan, and unless it is covered in clutch debris change the filter and put in new fluid for however much came out, and call it a day. I do not want to do a "flush" or multiple fluid change with that kind of mileage and condition of existing fluid.

Is this ok, or is this tranny sensitive to fluid changes washing the debris into the valve body and damaging the rest of the transmission?

I'd do it. But if I were dropping the pan, I'd change the filter unless everything inside was pristine.

Get an aftermarket pan with a drain plug, so future ATF changes are much easier
smile.gif

Redline C+ is good stuff to use where ATF+4 is called for. If that costs too much for you, then use any ATF+4.

Reactions: JC1
I think the OP wants to change the filter.
The "unless" he employed referred to going to a plan B due to severe internal woes.
When the pan resembles a person's lawn after a roof tera-off, it's bad.

Originally Posted by TriMoto
These 42RLE are garbage.

How have they failed for you? Ours has 130k miles and is going strong.

Update:

I decided to not touch the tranny in question. It was just low, so it needed 3/4 of a quart to fix the neutral flare up.

We did another one in a 2012 Jeep Liberty with 113k, and it was factory fluid. As to not have too much cleaning power, we did the pan drop and filter. Dorman has a very nice, well built (and rust free) tranny pan with a drain plug. We were able to change 5 qts now, and then next spring do it again. The fluid was a dark brown / black so whatever dye package they use oxidizes heavily. The fluid did not smell great but also was not burnt. More likely just that stale smell.

Person put about 4k on it and all is well.

Reactions: JC1
Back