Do you use one filter brand or many?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 if they have the rebate deal going. Otherwise I like Fram Ultra for the Corvette and the Ford F-150 but the Mobil 1 filters are lasting me a full year because both these vehicles have low miles. The Jeep Grand Cherokee also gets a Mobil 1 filter because I bought a bunch of them from Walmart on clearance. That leaves the Honda Civic which I will use whatever is cheap however that has a Mobil 1 filter on it too because of the huge Mobil 1 rebate program. I have used quite a few of the low priced Quaker State filters from Menards which cost under $3.00 each and have use a lot of Super Tech filters on the Civic as well. I am not brand loyal at all but Mobil 1 has had an aggressive rebate deal going on almost every year. On the Jeep I change oil every 4 to 5,000 miles with full synthetic and skip the goofy filter on the top of the engine and do 2 OCI's per filter just because I have read horror stories about the filter on the Pentstar engines but I have not had a problem at all.

Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, or Wix XP in the cars. Fram Tough Guard or Wix in the lawn tractor. I see no difference, although the 20 micron rating on the Fram Ultra makes me feel better.

No loyalty to filters. It is mostly about price with an eye on the quality as well (but not fanatical).

My Scion has only had OEM (first 4 changes from the dealer) and Wix (2 Wix and 3 Wix made CarQuest Blue), but only because I got a great deal on them. I have a few Fram ToughGuard, Bosch D+ and a Mobil 1 filter in the stash for it as well.
My truck I have used Fram, Purolator, Bosch, Supertech, and EcoGard.
For now I plan on using OEM for my Santa Fe, but only because I can readily find the OEM for cheaper than most aftermarket.
Motorcycle has had Supertech, Bosch D+, OEM, and ToughGuard, with a few TG and an Ultra in the stash for it. This is probably the only vehicle I will be really picky on filters with, I plan on buying only Ultra's in the future once my stash is used up.

Originally Posted by A_User55555
... So I never use the full potential of the filters
Very few people do, except those with engines full of sludgy junk, those with engines that are disintegrating, and those who don't seem to know filters and oil should be changed occasionally.

There's very little to see in the TG10358 I recently retired with over 25k, and it's not significantly restrictive, so I still don't know what "the full potential" is.

Current stash/in use

AC Delco
Hengst
Baldwin
Fram
Mobil 1
Denso

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
There's very little to see in the TG10358 I recently retired with over 25k, and it's not significantly restrictive ...

How do you know without a delta-p bench test?

For the last 10 years plus now its been the filter on sale for less than $7 and 99% plus efficiency at 20 microns. Then last time I switched to a ST filter $2.85. I'm not what you call a product fanboy!

This year I have purchased the following one the 5 different vehicles I have been responsible for:

Dodge Sprinter
- K&N 7004 catridge

Audi Allroad
- Mann W93021

Hyundai Accent
- Hyundai OEM
- Fram Ultra XG9688

Subaru Outbacks (Two 2018 2.5L models)
- 3x Napa Gold 7055
- 2x K&N HP-1010
- 2x Fram Ultra XG7317
- Subaru OEM

To date I have had the best results with Wix and Fram, I will going back to using a Mahle or Mann filter on the Sprinter in the future.

Like oil brands, I do not really have any brand loyalty for oil filters, especially with how often they change designs and ownership. As of late, I've really liked most of Fram's offerings. I used to use mostly Purolator branded filters until they started tearing. Now I'll only use them for short intervals if I get them on sale. I also have been using quite a few Champion filters that I got on clearance at Rock Auto, and Supertech filters if nothing is on sale.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by CR94
There's very little to see in the TG10358 I recently retired with over 25k, and it's not significantly restrictive ...
How do you know without a delta-p bench test?
Admittedly, I haven't done any sort of objective measurement. I wicked out most of the oil through the inner and outer creases. (No solvent flushing or scrubbing of the pleat surfaces, either of which would tend to rearrange or remove debris trapped on or in the media.) It has been open to air for a few weeks now, allowing volatiles to dissipate.

As best I can subjectively compare, restriction of AIR flow through the used TG filter now roughly equals the restriction of a ½" square hole (in a socket). I understand that's not a proper instrumented bench test with oil, but can't imagine how it wouldn't reveal any significant clogging.

Incidentally, the Toyota and Purolator L16311 filters I removed earlier (after about 17500 and 9500 miles, respectively) both pass air even more freely than the Tour Guard does. (Their filtering efficiencies are both reputedly much inferior to the Tour Guard's, probably not coincidentally.)

If such an experiment is attempted without first wicking out excess oil, restriction will seem much higher, due to viscosity and surface tension of the oil.

Originally Posted by wemay
Slow day, i know.

...but like many on Bitog, i have rarely used the same oil consecutively and that goes for oil filters too.

Do you switch filter brands often or are you loyal to a particular brand?

In this order;
1) Motorcraft
2) WIX
3) M-1
4) FRAM ULTRA

I'm guessing the OP means oil filters.

I've gone to the dark side Fram Ultra for 2+ OCI in both vehicles.

Prior to that a lot of Napa Gold, Purolator and tried a Mahle on the civic, Mopar and Wix on the Caravan.

I am forced by a powertrain warranty to change my oil filter every 10k so I use super tech as it the cheapest I can get that meets the spec and it works great. Less than $3!!!

Prior trucks I used Fram ultra for 2-3 10k oci

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
I use super tech as it the cheapest I can get that meets the spec and it works great. Less than $3!!!

Curious as to what spec it meets?

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
I use super tech as it the cheapest I can get that meets the spec and it works great. Less than $3!!!

Curious as to what spec it meets?

I suspect the spec that says its likely as good as half of the filters you can buy out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back