Do you use gas brand exclusively ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Many BPs around here have moved to 10% ethanol. A few Mobil stations also.
I drive up and scan the entire area around the pump. If I see Ethanol written, I move to another Mobil/Exxon - BP or Shellgas station that has pure gas.
All GDI / TGDI owners should do the same. Ethanol increases carbon buildup.

Or they forgot or did not get a chance to put the sticker on.
I also notice that some gas station has the stamp seal for 2020 and some still has the stamp from 2019. Some place just does not update fast enough or forgot to put the new sticker on.

prefer to use gasolines that carry the Top Tier certification and have used mostly Costco fuel in the 4 vehicles (3 cars and 1 truck) I take car of for 6 years now...no issues with them

Bill

painfx , are there Top Tier stickers on the SUNOCO pumps ? Not in our area . This is from one of the VALERO pumps I use .

IMG_2149.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by odie
painfx , are there Top Tier stickers on the SUNOCO pumps ? Not in our area . This is from one of the VALERO pumps I use .

IMHO, I do not think the stickers matters. If on the website states it is TopTier Certified, the sticker would be unnecessary.

Same goes with the Ethanol up to 10% sticker. Majority of the Top Tier Gases will have up to 10% of Ethanol.

And to answer your question, I have not seen any major Top Tier brands that has a sticker on their pumps. I still pump with confidence because they are Top Tier anyhow.

I use Esso because I can get PC points and I want top tier fuel to help prevent my carburetors from plugging up again...

Using whatever e10 was nearby (for summer time while putting a lot of miles on) and I had 2 carburetor issues the past 12 years in the Cutlass. The first time the needle and seat had white crud built up on it, the second time I just swapped a different carb on because I didn't have time to do a complete cleaning. It was always so stored for winter with e0 91 octane.

Right now since gas is cheap I filled several jugs with Shell v power (no ethanol) and topped up the Caprice with the same because it may take a while to go through the gas in it.

I might be leaving straight from my house with the work truck most days so not commuting to the office with the car. The Shell stations are usually way out of my way but it's worth it to get 0 ethanol when needed.

No I don't. I try to use Costco gas for most of my fill-ups, but I'm working out of town and the Costco in Kingston doesn't sell gas.

These days the local stations get cheaper once Costco stops selling gas, so I've been using other stations.

Originally Posted by JC1
No I don't. I try to use Costco gas for most of my fill-ups, but I'm working out of town and the Costco in Kingston doesn't sell gas.

These days the local stations get cheaper once Costco stops selling gas, so I've been using other stations.

I wish the Costco here had gas since I'm finally a member. It's also a perfect location 3 minutes from our office.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by JC1

I wish the Costco here had gas since I'm finally a member. It's also a perfect location 3 minutes from our office.

They get local opposition in places where they're around residential neighborhoods. I looked it up and the one in Kingston is right next to a residential neighborhood. These stations get lots of traffic and sometimes even backups into the street. I know of one Costco gas station (Santa Clara, California) where they initially placed the station close to the street, but traffic backed up even for people trying to access the non-Costco businesses in in the same complex. They moved it to another location where the backup was further inside and no longer blocked the main entrance to the parking lot. However, this is the sort of thing neighbors fear.

I was thinking of visiting a certain area, and wondering where the closest Costco was. No gas station. In my search I found a station was planned there about a decade ago but didn't get built due to opposition by local residents.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by JC1

They get local opposition in places where they're around residential neighborhoods. I looked it up and the one in Kingston is right next to a residential neighborhood. These stations get lots of traffic and sometimes even backups into the street. I know of one Costco gas station (Santa Clara, California) where they initially placed the station close to the street, but traffic backed up even for people trying to access the non-Costco businesses in in the same complex. They moved it to another location where the backup was further inside and no longer blocked the main entrance to the parking lot. However, this is the sort of thing neighbors fear.

I was thinking of visiting a certain area, and wondering where the closest Costco was. No gas station. In my search I found a station was planned there about a decade ago but didn't get built due to opposition by local residents.

You are correct. Now that I think of it, there is no way they could squeeze a gas station into that Costco parking lot, traffic is already a bit tight there and yes it's residential across the street.

Only one driveway at our Costco. I'm serious... only (1) for gasoline - the same one for the warehouse entrance and the exact same one for all to exit.

Do I need to say it's a mess there? At that exit, all exiters must turn right onto three lanes. It's a major road with a center island - then three more lanes going the opposite way.

Only one driveway at our Costco. I'm serious... only (1) for gasoline - the same one for the warehouse entrance and the exact same one for all to exit.

Do I need to say it's a mess there? At that exit, all exiters must turn right onto three lanes. It's a major road with a center island - then three more lanes going the opposite way.

The Costco in Sunnyvale, California is almost universally panned for its poor access, even with three ways in/out. It's been there for maybe 30 years, but the gas station addition was just kind of shoehorned in. There's one driveway near the station and I've seen cars backed up into the street. Then there are those trying to get in via the parking lot through two lanes jockeying for position. I think the ones that have a single entrance work better since there aren't people just cutting each other off like this one.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...dbc5475b!8m2!3d37.3711428!4d-121.9954933

Last edited:
Top Tier "Quick Trip" here in Georgia - a little cheaper than Shell and has continued turn over of fresh gas supply as they are very popular gas stations . Also in comparison my 2017 Sonata 2.4L GDI engine gets better gas mileage with Quick Trip gas versus Shell (I have no idea why ?)

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Top Tier "Quick Trip" here in Georgia - a little cheaper than Shell and has continued turn over of fresh gas supply as they are very popular gas stations . Also in comparison my 2017 Sonata 2.4L GDI engine gets better gas mileage with Quick Trip gas versus Shell (I have no idea why ?)

My 2.4 GDI gets it's best gas mileage and runs the smoothest with 10% Ethanol...... which produces increased carbon and is no friend of GDIs.
I'm sticking with Shell from now-on. If / when I found out they now include 10% Ethanol, then I'll finally get married to Miss Ethanol.
Shell is the only gas around here currently without Ethanol.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46

My 2.4 GDI gets it's best gas mileage and runs the smoothest with 10% Ethanol...... which produces increased carbon and is no friend of GDIs.
I'm sticking with Shell from now-on. If / when I found out they now include 10% Ethanol, then I'll finally get married to Miss Ethanol.
Shell is the only gas around here currently without Ethanol.

Here, Shell 91 v power and possibly a couple other stations 91 have no Ethanol, but only Shell says right on the pump.

Michigan passed a law in 2018 where the gas pumps are no longer required to sticker the pump with 10% Ethanol. So now, any gas brand can use ethanol here and no need to admit it.
More & more BP, Mobil, Exxon and Sunoco and Marathon gas stations are now using Ethanol in 87-89-93 octane here.

Last edited:
Michigan passed a law in 2018 where the gas pumps are no longer required to sticker the pump with 10% Ethanol. So now, any gas brand can use ethanol here and no need to admit it.
More & more BP, Mobil, Exxon and Sunoco and Marathon gas stations are now using Ethanol in 87-89-93 octane here.

I don't know about the law here but I assume the same many pumps don't say anything, also many would just put the generic may contain up to 10% on the whole pump, even though the 91 didn't contain Ethanol. It's getting harder and harder to get 0% ethanol for stuff that's going to sit around now.

My neighbor told me about a friend of his sits and waits until someone else pumps 91 e0 before he pulls up behind then to pump his, so he doesn't get the remaining e10 in the line. I have no idea how much that would amount to. If it's for a small jug for lawn equipment it could be substantial. Filling up my Caprice with 20 gallons, not so much I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back