Do you still wrench while injured?

I do the best I can. I do have a really solid friend who will pull the wrenches when I can't.
Marc rides those Harleys; he's tough as nails. Has always been there for me and mine.

I do what I can. Back surgery in 010 need 2 more and was told I would do nothing else on vehicles or on house. I still do my oil change and in process of rebuilding my bedroom. Bedroom should have been done in couple of weeks but now going on 4 months with me only able to work for short times then having to take time off for unable to move safely and take care of wife as she has deteriorating health as well as in wheelchair from stroke. Pain meds can only go so far. As long as I am alive I don't plan on being lazy

I do what I can. Back surgery in 010 need 2 more and was told I would do nothing else on vehicles or on house. I still do my oil change and in process of rebuilding my bedroom. Bedroom should have been done in couple of weeks but now going on 4 months with me only able to work for short times then having to take time off for unable to move safely and take care of wife as she has deteriorating health as well as in wheelchair from stroke. Pain meds can only go so far. As long as I am alive I don't plan on being lazy
Slow and steady wins the race. I enjoy working cars even if I may swear a bit during certain points of the process. Got the rear shoes back on the drum and the dam large spring is a pain in the neck no matter how you slice it.

I’ve got a buddy who has a bad hip. Every 6 months or so we pick a project or two to wrench on our vehicles and help each other ( a second opinion can be good thing at times). We space it out with breaks and snacks and go for beers afterwards.

Reactions: JC1
Hurt my hand a few days ago and need to do rear drum brakes on a van. After 2 hours I got one side done using mostly the other hand. Not fun working brake springs on and off. Anybody else work on stuff while lame?

Guilty. I feel I heal up better if I keep using the parts moving. One time I couldn't walk and had to use a walker for a while so I put the tools I needed in a bag and literally crawled out to the car pulled myself up and changed a PS and vacuum pump, someone else had to start the engine for me as I couldnt get in the car.
Walking slowly and hanging on to anything nearby I tossed the walker out in 2 weeks, they said 3 months at least at physical therapy.

I also find the satisfaction of doing it myself (hopefully right) is great therapy.
In AA we say some of us are sicker than others. I sit in the Intensive Care section...

I also know myself when I have something to get done, I won't let a little pain get in the way. The only possible way I wouldn't wrench is if my arm was in a cast, then I'd have to stop because I wouldn't want grease and all that stuff in a cast!

I don't think I've injured myself in the full sense of the term--broken bones and limited ability--but I'd probably wrench to the limit (if not beyond) my ability (regardless of what the wife says). Sore, bandaged, and Tee'd off at something, sure.

Now having a bad cold, that could go either way. Sometimes you're just miserable, other times you might just make the cold worse (along with whatever you're working on). I find that one much harder to deal with.

Reactions: JC1
Did get both sides done yesterday before dark. Still have to adjust them today and change the fluid.

large.jpg

I have worked with a strained back but that was it and it was a horrible experience I could barely walk cause my back hurt so badly. Fortunately that’s the only real injury I have had not near as bad as the injuries some of the guys I work with have had.

I fell on the ice and hurt my shoulder a couple years ago. Couldn't work on much at all for a few months. But still managed to get oil changes done.

What about being sick? I have crohn's disease, that sidelined my life for a few years. Before that I didn't have any air tools, now I have enough to rival most auto mechanics. Had to get things done but needed to make it easier for me.

I will wrench while injured if
1) the service/repair cannot wait a couple weeks while I recover
2) the service/repair does not aggravate the existing injury
If it can't wait and doing it myself could make my injury worse, I will take it to a local shop.

I'm facing this right now - I crashed the bike almost two weeks ago, and, besides donating a lot of skin off my right knee, hyperextended my left thumb. I thought I could live with it and let it heal on its own, but my wife insisted I go for an assessment. X-rays showed that the ligament, rather than breaking, had pulled a small chunk of bone off. Had surgery a week ago, and have three more weeks in the cast. Going a bit antsy - besides wanting to do pre-winter maintenance on our Mazda 5, we're still hoping to buy a 2nd vehicle, a larger minivan. We've put that on hold, as I can't do a proper inspection one-handed. Nor can I drive our car, which has a manual transmission. I can't hold the wheel with my left hand while shifting with my right. I also can't ride my bike right now, so am doing lots of walking. I'm strongly left-handed, so mechanical work is out for now too.

But the mechanical work is moot because our street has been torn up for construction for almost two months now, with a week or two still to go.

just got back from seeing a dr. xray shows a break near the base of the small finger. they gave me a brace to wear for the next few weeks. at least its removable but it sucks. could barely get the keys out of my right pocket with my left hand to drive home. can barely type or use the mouse on the computer.

I will wrench while injured if
1) the service/repair cannot wait a couple weeks while I recover
2) the service/repair does not aggravate the existing injury
If it can't wait and doing it myself could make my injury worse, I will take it to a local shop.
+1

Back