Do you drive with a spare, run flats, or neither?

To the guys that run a full size spare... that doesn't really work if you have tires which rotate only one direction, right?

They would work, directional tires would not be damaged by running them backwards, you just would not have the full traction potential out of the tire in heavy rain at highway speeds.

For those who are planning to get a full sized spare tire and wheel, be aware that the new wheel should match the thickness of the other 4 wheels you already have. Otherwise, you might find that your lug nuts bottom out too quickly or don't grip enough threads on the studs when you use the replacement wheel.

3/4 of my vehicles have donuts/compact spares....never had an issue with them in the few times I've had to use them over the years....good enough to get you home or to a tire shop. Full size certainly is the ideal. I'd never want to not have a spare and rely on sealant etc. that some cars come with now to reduce weight. I don't want to mess with run flats.

Both Subies have donuts.

It‘s just about time to check their press (usually once per year)

A lot of people including myself would have great difficulty getting the lug nuts off let alone change the wheel.

In those cases the inflater kits or a called service fits the bill.

This is what used to piss me off about tire shops. Most times they way over torqued the lug nuts to the point where the OEM wrench will not work no matter what you do (E.g., bouncing on it with your full weigh)!

For my wheels, which are torqued to spec, I’ve never had a problem getting them off with a crowbar.

They would work, directional tires would not be damaged by running them backwards, you just would not have the full traction potential out of the tire in heavy rain at highway speeds.

For those who are planning to get a full sized spare tire and wheel, be aware that the new wheel should match the thickness of the other 4 wheels you already have. Otherwise, you might find that your lug nuts bottom out too quickly or don't grip enough threads on the studs when you use the replacement wheel.

This is a good point. Also, for people that have proper AWD cars, the tread between tires shouldn't vary more than 2/32" I don't think.

Wife's prius awd-e has a rear electric motor/ differential where the spare would have been.

Thinking it over, it's more likely we'd get stuck in the snow than stuck with a flat.

Car has an electric compressor and hose. I added rope plugs and diagonal cutting pliers (for grabbing offending screws and yanking them out as well as trimming the plug.)

To the guys that run a full size spare... that doesn't really work if you have tires which rotate only one direction, right?

Also, how come none of you rely on a tow truck? Depending on where you are, it may not be safe to do a swap.
Tow trucks are to be avoided. They cost money and a well maintained vehicle shouldn't breakdown. Tire damage is planned for. That was the operational mantra for all my cars up to the Camrys. Run flats are a total scam. You can run ANY tire flat. Some run better than others, they will all run though. You get a flat. You do not just pullover, You continue along , flashers on, at a reduced rate of speed. Find a safe spot off the pavement. Not the breakdown lane. I prefer parking lots. Deal with it there. :cool:

Tow trucks are to be avoided. They cost money and a well maintained vehicle shouldn't breakdown. Tire damage is planned for. That was the operational mantra for all my cars up to the Camrys. Run flats are a total scam. You can run ANY tire flat. Some run better than others, they will all run though. You get a flat. You do not just pullover, You continue along , flashers on, at a reduced rate of speed. Find a safe spot off the pavement. Not the breakdown lane. I prefer parking lots. Deal with it there. :cool:

My credit card gives me free roadside assistance. No annual fee. But I think run flats are guaranteed to drive an X amount of mileage.

You can run on the rim, it just gets noisy :rolleyes:

Okay, no need to be smarmy. The point is a run flat is significantly different from a conventional radial namely in that it allows you to operate on it even with all its pressure gone. It works by having either reinforced sidewalls or a support ring system.

You can run on the rim, it just gets noisy :rolleyes:
Yeah, and it gets smoky. I could smell the tires burning up when I saw a beater slowing driving down the street with a flat tire. I heard him coming from over a block away. Was on the regular city streets so it wasn't like he had to get off the highway. Highways are super dangerous, too many drunk drivers steering into whatever they're looking at and if you're by the side of the road, the drivers will steer into you.

Both Subies have donuts.

This is what used to piss me off about tire shops. Most times they way over torqued the lug nuts to the point where the OEM wrench will not work no matter what you do (E.g., bouncing on it with your full weigh)!

For my wheels, which are torqued to spec, I’ve never had a problem getting them off with a crowbar.
When I had to change that trailer tire...I had to drop the trailer and drive into the nearest town to get a pipe to put over my breaker bar to get lugs off.
That was how it came from the factory.

The annual cost I pay for CAA (Canadian AAA) Is probably less than one tow call (depending on distance). I always have it for peace of mind. I drive a 37 year old car 4+ hours on the highway one way at least once a year somewhere. I've never needed it on a long trip, but it's worth the $. In the past several years I've only used it when I locked keys in my car and left lights on and killed the battery.

I still keep a full size spare and other tools because I'd rather not get towed if I can fix the car on the side of the road. Especially on a long trip.

Both Subies have donuts.

This is why I Like Walmart for tires. Because they torque it right, no air gun!

Subaru is stupid for using a donut with AWD which is sensitive to tire diameter. Even worse, they stopped letting you disable the AWD (they did this specifically for spare tire use)

Will a full-size spare fit in the spare tire well?

Here's my experience with Brand new Toyota pickup, 7000 miles and I am on the first 5- tire rotation. Lug nuts no problem, but the steel front wheels were cold welded to their hubs. No way they would release. So I reattach the lug nuts tight, back off half turn on all 5, then run the car in first gear to 3 mph in the condo garage, and brake forcefully. Had to do this a dozen times before the wheel would release from the hub. I retighten. Then repeat for the opposite side. Same thing, a dozen tries before success. I can understand this problem canhappen if I lived in the rust belt, but I dont. And this car only had 7000 miles!

This is why I Like Walmart for tires. Because they torque it right, no air gun!

Subaru is stupid for using a donut with AWD which is sensitive to tire diameter. Even worse, they stopped letting you disable the AWD (they did this specifically for spare tire use)

Will a full-size spare fit in the spare tire well?

I’ll have to measure, but IIRC theres a difference of 2” in diameter or more. It might be too tight for that in the Foz. I haven’t checked the Leggy. The next time I rotate tires I’ll check.

The total diameter of the donut should be the same as the total diameter of the OEM wheels. The Evo was the same - donut but same total diameter of the OEM wheels.

Back