Do engine oil additives actually work? (aftermarket ones)

Well do they? There is like a ton of engine oil additives that supposed to boost oil performance, reduce wear and friction and give a mpg boost as well. Well do they really reduce friction and boost mpg in a healthy engine with quality oil to begin with?

Which brands are we talk about here, Liqui Moly?

They all "work" in the sense of they will perform at the limit and level of the specific chemistry but that's not the question I believe you are wanting the answer too.

What you asked is too broad to be adequately addressed because the "additive" may (or may not) deliver a tangible benefit due to innumerable factors beyond the control of the additive.

Brand has nothing to do with it and conversely an oil "additive" can have an adverse effect by changing the oil properties in the specific brand used.

There are no miracles in a bottle.

They all "work" in the sense of they will perform at the limit and level of the specific chemistry but that's not the question I believe you are wanting the answer too.

What you asked is too broad to be adequately addressed because the "additive" may (or may not) deliver a tangible benefit due to innumerable factors beyond the control of the additive.

Brand has nothing to do with it and conversely an oil "additive" can have an adverse effect by changing the oil properties in the specific brand used.

There are no miracles in a bottle.
By my book that usually means no, little to no effect using them...

If you read your owner's manual it's highly likely it says not to use additives (other than what's already in your oil). It probably also says your warranty becomes void if you do.

I was asking about aftermarket ones like Liqui Moly, i know oil companies add a lot of additives to begin with.
You mean adding more additives than what comes with the oil? Perhaps you need to define by what you mean by "do they work"? If the oil from jug works already then maybe the question at hand is, does adding in more additives make the oil worse? Considering sales of those products are high and there is no reported issues out there or in the news, then perhaps they are not hurting anything at all and maybe helping a bit? Hard to say without seeing the lab tests of all those products.

Ask people who use them - they'll tell you they absolutely work. 😂 They have no real proof, they just have to justify their use though...
What proof does anyone have that oil from the jug actually works? The engine did not die? Same can be said for using additives. You just believing what you are told, for most everything. Your tires are good tires, yes? How do you know your tires are good tires?

You mean adding more additives than what comes with the oil? Perhaps you need to define by what you mean by "do they work"? If the oil from jug works already then maybe the question at hand is, does adding in more additives make the oil worse? Considering sales of those products are high and there is no reported issues out there or in the news, then perhaps they are not hurting anything at all and maybe helping a bit? Hard to say without seeing the lab tests of all those products.
By work i mean if they give any effect by adding those additives that supposed to reduce friction and give better mpg, or is it a waste of money...

Back