do circuit breakers go bad?

i picked up a small HF compressor left out for free. been playing with it . it seems like the unloader valve was bad. i got a new unloader and it working. sorta. the issue i am having is the circuit breaker keeps tripping before its full. it will reset and then fill again till it trips again. i bypassed it and now the motor runs to full fill.

i would like to have the circuit breaker in it if possible. So do they have a life span of how many trips till they go bad? how are they checked?

Sure, any electrical part can go bad.

If its not an oil free compressor, you can try a thinner oil in it. That might reduce just enough drag that it makes it through a cycle before it trips. Try something like a 5W-30 in it, or if you have it on hand, a lighter compressor oil. The oil that HF supplies is thick to the point that mine would not start in a 50 degree garage in the winter time. Now it starts just fine.

what circuit breaker? on your home's electrical panel? bypassing it can lead to wiring fire.

what circuit breaker? on your home's electrical panel? bypassing it can lead to wiring fire.

I think he is talking about the one on the compressor itself.

OP its hard to know if its a worn motor thats drawing a lot of amps, or if the mini circuit breaker is bad. If it trips your home breaker while bypassed, i'd toss it.

I think he is talking about the one on the compressor itself.

OP its hard to know if its a worn motor thats drawing a lot of amps, or if the mini circuit breaker is bad. If it trips your home breaker while bypassed, i'd toss it.
yes on the compressor itself. bypassing did not trip the house breaker. this compressor new if $150 so i don't mind spending a couple of bucks to fix it , even though i have 3 compressors already. lol

i ordered a multi meter that can read amp draw so i will check the amp pull

If it`s an oil less compressor spray some silicone lube in the cylinder. If not an oiless does the motor get hot popping the resettable limit in the motor.Bypassing limit switches is not a good diagnostic method IMHO.

yes on the compressor itself. bypassing did not trip the house breaker. this compressor new if $150 so i don't mind spending a couple of bucks to fix it , even though i have 3 compressors already. lol

i ordered a multi meter that can read amp draw so i will check the amp pull

does the meter have an amp clamp? If not, I’m not sure how you’ll measure it. Would need to be a pretty heavy meter with heavy leads.
Ive used a kill a watt meter to get such data.

does the meter have an amp clamp? If not, I’m not sure how you’ll measure it. Would need to be a pretty heavy meter with heavy leads.
Ive used a kill a watt meter to get such data.
yes. i already have a fluke , but it does not have a amp clamp.

I work in a huge commercial building with lots of electric closets and LOTS of panels. My favorite is when a breaker goes bad and trips internally but doesn't flip the lever. Fun!

i picked up a small HF compressor left out for free. been playing with it . it seems like the unloader valve was bad. i got a new unloader and it working. sorta. the issue i am having is the circuit breaker keeps tripping before its full. it will reset and then fill again till it trips again. i bypassed it and now the motor runs to full fill.

i would like to have the circuit breaker in it if possible. So do they have a life span of how many trips till they go bad? how are they checked?

If its the "red button" on the back...

That's not a circuit breaker, that's a thermal switch and its most likely bad

You fixed it, watch for smoke from the motor is all you need to do, imo. So be around if it is on. :LOL:

Remember the amp clamp can only go around one of the power wires, hot or neutral. Not both.
got the meter. was able to clamp it around the black inside the pressure switch. flicked it on and it read 7.73 amps . its time for a new breaker

Back