DNS filtering

Yeah, thanks, I have gone there already, and created an account, but uc50icmore stated they don't offer family dns filtering for their own routers.

As far as opendns goes, I really don't understand your terms--I went into the router browser interface and configured it to use DNS servers, but the DNS utility on my laptop is always telling me that i am NOT on it.

Are you at the Gateway section of their site? https://teams.cloudflare.com/gateway/

That appears to be where to login and configure it.

Yeah, thanks, I have gone there already, and created an account, but uc50icmore stated they don't offer family dns filtering for their own routers.

As far as opendns goes, I really don't understand your terms--I went into the router browser interface and configured it to use DNS servers, but the DNS utility on my laptop is always telling me that i am NOT on it.

OK, I'm going to skip over the Cloudflare stuff and focus on your OpenDNS issue, since I doubt you are going to find something better, so focusing on fixing that is probably best.

On your laptop open a command prompt and type: ipconfig /all

What does it give you for your DNS servers? Should be 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220, if it is instead just the IP address of your router, your router is acting as a DNS cache/proxy and likely explains the service seeing your connection to it as intermittent, since not all queries are being forwarded to their servers. We can address how to fix this once you've confirmed it is the case.

Yeah, those are the numbers.

I just got an email from a 2 week old support query from OpenDNS. They said to disable ipv6, which I just did. I'll see if that improves anything. They said my network was set up for Opendns, but that Windows prefers to use ipv6, which opendns doesn't handle.

I'll see how this goes over the next week or so. That should be enough time to figure out if the fix is working or not.

OK, I'm going to skip over the Cloudflare stuff and focus on your OpenDNS issue, since I doubt you are going to find something better, so focusing on fixing that is probably best.

On your laptop open a command prompt and type: ipconfig /all

What does it give you for your DNS servers? Should be 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220, if it is instead just the IP address of your router, your router is acting as a DNS cache/proxy and likely explains the service seeing your connection to it as intermittent, since not all queries are being forwarded to their servers. We can address how to fix this once you've confirmed it is the case.

Yeah, those are the numbers.

I just got an email from a 2 week old support query from OpenDNS. They said to disable ipv6, which I just did. I'll see if that improves anything. They said my network was set up for Opendns, but that Windows prefers to use ipv6, which opendns doesn't handle.

I'll see how this goes over the next week or so. That should be enough time to figure out if the fix is working or not.

They are correct, if your router is receiving IPv6 info from your ISP it will take precedence over IPv4, so IPv4 will only be used intermittently for sites that aren't queryable or reachable over IPv6.

I'd ensure you have it disabled on both WAN and LAN.

Just got that taken care of.

Yeah I really really liked the user interface of OpenDNS--it makes it incredibly easy to whitelist or blacklist individual sites, and also, broad categories. But I just didn't want something that only worked half the time.

Is there ever a time when John Q. Public would actually need ipv6? That option was presented to me before, but I thought using only ipv4 was kind of like locking your car into first gear all the time, so I tried to go without that option.

I'd ensure you have it disabled on both WAN and LAN.

Just got that taken care of.

Yeah I really really liked the user interface of OpenDNS--it makes it incredibly easy to whitelist or blacklist individual sites, and also, broad categories. But I just didn't want something that only worked half the time.

Is there ever a time when John Q. Public would actually need ipv6? That option was presented to me before, but I thought using only ipv4 was kind of like locking your car into first gear all the time, so I tried to go without that option.

IPv6 simply expands the scope of available IP addresses via a new numbering scheme. It provides no value in scenarios such as yours where it isn't needed.

Ok fine, I'm not a hacker or anything like that. I'll just putz along in ipv4. Thanks.

I just didn't want to be using dial up in a broadband world, that's all.

Ok fine, I'm not a hacker or anything like that. I'll just putz along in ipv4. Thanks.

I just didn't want to be using dial up in a broadband world, that's all.

I don't use IPv6 at all in any of my networks if that's any consolation, lol.

Yes, that was one reason why I was hesitant to disable it. I didn't want to do it, and then months and months later, not be able to access certain sites, and then take hours and hours of troubleshooting before remembering why. When I read about it in tech news, I'll have to adopt another solution, unless OpenDNS has plans to expand into ipv6 as well.

But the world, as I have come to understand it after a handful of years of people griping about it, is fast running out of IPv4 addresses. At some point planet earth is going to need to make the move.

But the world, as I have come to understand it after a handful of years of people griping about it, is fast running out of IPv4 addresses. At some point planet earth is going to need to make the move.

Sure, but until ISP's stop handing out IPv4 addresses, it's not really a concern, and even then disabling IPv4 and trying to force IPv6 without the proper upstream routing infrastructure breaks things. Had a client in that boat last week where they could get to lots of sites but others, like Gotomeeting, didn't work because you couldn't get to them over IPv6.

Isn’t OpenDNS part of Cisco now?
Sure is, which means it has a very large budget and is integrated into their new "Umbrella" service, which pulls in Meraki as well. It's a huge operation and one they've invested a massive amount of money into, so I'd be very confident using it (which I am).

Back