DIY high capacity pan/sump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was checking out YT and came across some DIY mods for increasing the oil pan capacity. I guess the 2 obvious benefits that come to mind are longer drain intervals and better cooling? But aren't like the stock mfg OE pans, filters and pump all matched/calibrated? Like if you brake suddenly the pickup tube doesn't run dry?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Cooling is no better. Oil temperature will still reach standard operating temperature and be regulated by the radiator/oil cooler.

Risk of starvation at the pickup goes up because of the nonstandard modification with no performance validation testing.

Seems like staying away from this one is a no brainer.

I would only expand the oil capacity if there was a really good reason, maybe a race car for track days or a dedicated 4x4 in steep terrain.

My 4Runner 4.0 V6 takes 6.6 quarts. That's a lot of oil. My T&C 3.8 V6 only takes 4 quarts.

I'm sure Toyota increased the oil capacity 4Runner 4.0 based on design criteria such as making sure the sump doesn't go dry when ascending or descending hills while 4-wheeling and as a result of the larger oil capacity were able to extend to a 10K mile OCI. There's not a lot of room under there to increase it more without sacrificing ground clearance.

Hey Mad_Hatter, reading about customizing your oil pan PROVES how daisy fresh you are.

What car do you drive? Were you seriously thinking about playing with sheet metal?

The COOLEST customized oil pan I ever saw was at a car show where a tube was welded through a pan such that a tie rod could go through it.

Originally Posted by Kira
Hey Mad_Hatter, reading about customizing your oil pan PROVES how daisy fresh you are.

What car do you drive? Were you seriously thinking about playing with sheet metal?

The COOLEST customized oil pan I ever saw was at a car show where a tube was welded through a pan such that a tie rod could go through it.

You and your daisy fresh...no, not thinking about it at all... just watched a video of a DIY and was wondering about it is all. Was wondering what the advantage is, I guess for a race/Nascar maybe?? Don't Nascar rides use a supplemental sump??

Last edited:
the best system is dry sump. there is only minimal oil in the oil pan, the rest in in a well baffled tank near the engine.. It can be as big as you can fit. I have seen them up to 16 quart. I am sure bigger exist.

People who are building/using larger capacity oil sumps are not doing it for cooling or longer drain intervals. It's mostly used in conjunction with baffles and trap doors to alleviate oil starvation issues at high sustained g forces or extreme angles from off roading.

Last edited:
My sump is of the standard capacity, but baffled and trap-doored because turning hard-left at speed causes the oil to ‘slosh' over to the other side of the sump, away from the pick-up.
You only have to lose oil pressure in a corner once and you will always trust in baffles for a wet sump afterwards.

If you increase the capacity make sure you still have enough clearance to refit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back