DIY concrete expertise/questions

@JHZR2 I have mixed decent size concrete pours by hand for most of my life. My great uncle never did it any other way and the structures / patios /stairs etc we have both built stand to this day so really it is about how much work you are willing to take on. I have done up to 5 yard pours by hand across multiple days. You just have to crib it up according to your time and level of comfort. I have used a mix of both ready mix bags and the old fashioned way of bulk sand, crushed rock and cement. If you have never worked concrete then I'd definitely see if you can find a helper who has or at a minimum educate yourself on how and when to finish it. There is no way you could mix 2 yards of concrete without starting to finish the first few loads you mixed. I have found that 3 people work best, a mixer, a trucker (wheelbarrow) and a finisher.

You could call a ready mix company and see what a short or undersized load costs. Most companies will do them I have found but they charge a fee for this. It might be better than mixing by hand.

Last but not least if you are unsure, call a ready mix company and see if they have trucks coming back from a job with overload or extra. The problem with this one is you need to have your stuff ready to go and then they can call you at the drop of a hat.

Just my $0.02

We have a MN crew in town doing concrete - think they are the only guys liking the 20° weather 😷

Back