Different tires- same axle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Company car is the big thing here...is it your responsibility? If not, screw it. I doubt it's unsafe. If AWD, it may be slightly harder on the AWD system, but I highly doubt it matters in an Expedition. It's not a Euro car with directional tires.

My truck at work just got its third set of tires at 40K mi. Yes, third set. Yokohama Avids again. I have noticed a handful of other company vehicles with mismatched tires though, but that could have been due to unrepairable damage or something. They just got completely worn down on the truck I drive.

Sounds like they need to wake up and realize they're buying [censored] tires.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

So having one side with one brand and the other side with a different brand not only is puzzling (Why would any mechanic not know to pair tires on an axle?) , but also effectively doubles the chance that the car will behave oddly - and you usually don't figure this out until it is too late.

C'mon. That's a quantitative statement. The only way I can think of that you could "effectively double" the chance that a car will behave oddly while you're driving it is to drive twice as many miles.

Odd tyres'll increase the probability a bit, no doubt, but I'd be very surprised if you could justify your quantification of it.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
C'mon. That's a quantitative statement. The only way I can think of that you could "effectively double" the chance that a car will behave oddly while you're driving it is to drive twice as many miles.

Odd tyres'll increase the probability a bit, no doubt, but I'd be very surprised if you could justify your quantification of it.

Here's my thought process:

If an odd tire increases the risk of a vehicle behaving badly, then if I have an odd tire on the front and an odd tire on the rear (knowing the front of the vehicle behaves differently than the rear, I have twice as much chance of those odd tires causing an issue.

(OK, OK. Perhaps it isn't twice, but give me a break. I'm trying to emphasize something here!)

If you had to make a hard stop and all four wheels brakes exactly equal then the tires on one side might grab differently and cause instability.

If your remove a wheel and reinstall it yourself you become liable for any wrecks. This is why tire stores won't touch a tire thats been ran flat, or bald. They replace or send you packing.

I suspect that two tires were replaced, and then cross rotated at a later date. I would leave it alone and not worry about it. I have driven two cars with three brands of tires on each with no issues.

Last edited:
Every time I drove a car with different tires on the same axle (put on by other people) it pulls to one side, especially if it is on the front. Even on the same type of tires and the same size. One time it is even a Pirelli P zero Rosso vs P zero Nero.

I'd make sure tires are matching on the same axle.

Took the car to the tire dealer when we returned- they moved the tires -- goodyears to the back as they had more tread from what the guy said

Different tires from different manufacturers can:

be different sizes even if the sidewall says they are the same.

have different sidewall stiffness as well as speed rating that perform differently under stress...

have different rain dispersion characteristics,

have different dry and wet traction affecting tracking in a straight line as well as in turns....

and on and on....so please don't say "don't worry about it." There's a lot to worry about! The more you know.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam

The same could be said about the same model/size from the same manufacturer. They could come from different lots, different factories, or even different countries.

About a week ago I was at an airshow looking at a KC-10 on the ground. All the tires were odd. Different brands and some looked like retreads. I saw Goodyear rubber on top of a Bridgestone tire. I'm not sure how critical it would be to match tires on a plane though.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: KitaCam

The same could be said about the same model/size from the same manufacturer. They could come from different lots, different factories, or even different countries.

About a week ago I was at an airshow looking at a KC-10 on the ground. All the tires were odd. Different brands and some looked like retreads. I saw Goodyear rubber on top of a Bridgestone tire. I'm not sure how critical it would be to match tires on a plane though.

First, the issues with different tires on ground vehicles are with cornering and braking. Unequal effort from an odd tire can cause the vehicle to behave unpredictably. That's only a problem when you approach the limits - which is why most folks don't experience the problem.

But in an emergency maneuver, it's important to get this right or you'll wind up in the boonies.

In an airplane, cornering forces generated by tires is hardly an issue - and uneven braking forces are only an issue when the aerodynamic forces are lower than the tire generated forces. In other words, the exposure is a fairly small window.

And while I will concede that there is some variation within the same make and model of tire, those variations are usually very small compared to the whole spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back