Diff leaking after second repair attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at a loss.

I replaced the CV axle and seal on my Blazer's front diff a few weeks ago with house brand parts. The seal leaked right away so I'm assuming I damaged it somehow. I replaced it with an OE seal and it's still leaking..

It looks to be leaking between the shaft and the seal. Could it be the shaft is the wrong size? I have no idea what to check at this point.

Check the surface condition of the new shaft. If it was improperly finished, this can cause a leak.

Do you still have the old shaft? If you do, reinstall the old shaft with a new seal and see if it still leaks.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Check the surface condition of the new shaft. If it was improperly finished, this can cause a leak.

Do you still have the old shaft? If you do, reinstall the old shaft with a new seal and see if it still leaks.

The old axle is long gone. Ill have to recheck the surface finish.. Does it take much roughness to cause an issue?

Either way, I am guessing the seal is bad at this point.

Originally Posted by Chris142
measure the place where the seal runs on both axles.

Will do.

How much play is in there in the diff? Worn bearings will allow the CV shaft to wobble and cause a leak. Try wiggling the CV shaft up and down, how much movement is there?

I just had the front diff out of a '01 Blazer to do an oil pan gasket. I had 0 leaks afterwards, reusing all the original parts.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
How much play is in there in the diff? Worn bearings will allow the CV shaft to wobble and cause a leak. Try wiggling the CV shaft up and down, how much movement is there?

I just had the front diff out of a '01 Blazer to do an oil pan gasket. I had 0 leaks afterwards, reusing all the original parts.

That's certainly worth mentioning, but it didn't leak beforehand so I'm assuming the bearings are still good.

Well this is embarrassing.

I check it last night and the CV shaft wasn't fully seated. Literally 1/2" of play in all directions.

I do recall wondering if it was fully seated, but I gave it a tug both times and wouldn't back out without some considerable force. I think the snap ring is too open so I'm going to try without it just to make sure it's not another issue. It's just odd because I've done the job before without issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back