Diesel Vehicle Causes Fire in Cali..

The Apple fire in mountains east of Los Angeles that has forced thousands of people from their homes was sparked by a malfunctioning diesel vehicle, fire officials said Monday.

The vehicle spewed burning carbon from its exhaust system, igniting several fires Friday and authorities were asking anyone who may have seen such a vehicle at the time to contact investigators, according to a statement from the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

Im guessing theres going to be new emissions on diesels now?

The vehicle spewed burning carbon from its exhaust system, igniting several fires Friday and authorities were asking anyone who may have seen such a vehicle at the time to contact investigators, according to a statement from the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

Burning carbon? New one to me. I tend to not to go political on stuff like this, but that smacks of someone writing with an agenda ("oh that evil carbon based fuel!"). Probably not the case, but boy does it sound like to me.

Faulty emissions system, that makes more sense to me.

Diesels don’t spew burning carbon bits unless they’ve got something seriously wrong with them...mechanical failure, illegal modifications, something...

The problem with California during fire season is that it's such a tinderbox that nearly anything can cause a wildfire. It's only a matter of time before the hot brakes of a Tesla start a wildfire. And there there's a whole industry of fire investigators and lawyers hoping to rest the blame on large company X or Y rather than a penniless lighting strike or a random careless camper.

Diesels don’t spew burning carbon bits unless they’ve got something seriously wrong with them...mechanical failure, illegal modifications, something...

faulty DPF, clean cycle, egt high, chunks of dpf shot out of exhaust? I say there were probably exhaust mods

I guess they can do this if the injector pump is acting up. The driver may not have known.

When it comes to fires out west, I blame the lack of land maintenance. Brush clean up etc. Just last year, power lines were to blame so the fix was to turn off the power.

My bet would be a truck in regen. The exhaust systems get super hot on those when that is going on, probably parked near some dry leaves or something.

I wonder if it was in DPF regen. Anyone else remember when the 6.4 Powerstroke came out and they were shooting flames out the exhaust on regen?

Oh yeah, my buddy had a fleet he bought for his business. When they weren't in the shop with the cab off, they were often shooting flames. The Scorpion diesels were marginally better. He's mostly running Gas trucks now.

Oh yeah, my buddy had a fleet he bought for his business. When they weren't in the shop with the cab off, they were often shooting flames. The Scorpion diesels were marginally better. He's mostly running Gas trucks now.
I can totally see why a fleet would go with gas trucks now. Now in CA you can't have a F-450 with a 6.4 for a business. They no longer meet our emissions standards unless you put DEF on it. Same with anything F-450 and up with a 7.3 or 6.0. It has to have DEF, EGR, and a DPF.

There was a fire here I think last year or the year before started by a vehicle pulling off the freeway and the catalytic converter set off some brush.

Back