Did Rotella Ever Have JASO MA Certification?

Messages
550
Location
Washington State
Thread starter
Did any of the Rotella products ever have an actual JASO MA license /approval? Or was the "JASO MA" printed on the bottles of their 5w40 a "recommended for" type marketing statement (similar to Amsoil and some other boutique lubes). I've never seen Rotella on a JASO motorcycle cert list (2020 doc linked below). Have seen on the JASO diesel lists. http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf
 
Messages
1,781
Location
Wisconsin
its printed alongside being certified as jaso-ma as well as being approved for other engine specs, i don't think they can list it unless it is indeed certified. As far as I can tell I didn't see Supertech m/c oil or Quicksilver m/c oil anywhere in that list, unless its listed under something else. I'm guessing the list is simply incomplete. I've used Rotella for years, both 15w40 and 5w40 with no issues or slippage.
 
Last edited:

SR5

Messages
5,476
Location
Down Under
From the PDF on the Shell web site
Quote
SPECIFICATIONS AND APPROVALS Shell Rotella® T6 15W-40 API, CK-4, CJ-4, ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, MA/MA 2; Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-3; Cummins CES 20086; DDC DFS 93K222; MB-Approval 228.31; Volvo VDS-4.5; Ford WSS-M2C171-F1; Allison TES 439, MAN 3775; MACK EOS-4.5
Quote
OEM SPECIFICATIONS AND APPROVALS 5W-40 API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4 ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification DDC (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/ MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31
Both look JASO MA/ MA2 approved to me
 
Messages
430
Location
MN
That^^^ Use it in our Artic Cat 400. Works just fine and dandy over the overpriced dealer oil change box.
 
Messages
909
Location
PA
Rotella T4 15w40 and T6 5w40 are both JASO MA/MA2 certified. I use it in two honda ranchers with electronic shift.
 
Messages
15,070
Location
Upper Midwest
Originally Posted by BBDartCA
Did any of the Rotella products ever have an actual JASO MA license /approval? Or was the "JASO MA" printed on the bottles of their 5w40 a "recommended for" type marketing statement (similar to Amsoil and some other boutique lubes). I've never seen Rotella on a JASO motorcycle cert list (2020 doc linked below). Have seen on the JASO diesel lists. http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf
And much like the ACEA, it is not required for blenders to report JASO compliance to the organization but it is encouraged for them to do so. As a result the listing is not complete.
Quote
We are publicizing the information of on-filed products of the submitters who returned the confirmation letter.
Also the label should be marked in accordance with Appendix 5: http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV1904.pdf
 
Messages
6,674
Location
Katy, Republic of Texas
As mentioned above, from the way I read it, it is not certified, only recommended. The fact that it does not have a JASO label on the bottle nor is it on the JASO list, and the bottle itself lists JASO under the "meets performance requirements of" tells me it is not an official JASO oil. All that being said, I would still have no qualms using Rotella T4, T5 or T6 in a shared sump motorcycle engine.
 
Messages
550
Location
Washington State
Thread starter
Originally Posted by blupupher
As mentioned above, from the way I read it, it is not certified, only recommended. The fact that it does not have a JASO label on the bottle nor is it on the JASO list, and the bottle itself lists JASO under the "meets performance requirements of" tells me it is not an official JASO oil. All that being said, I would still have no qualms using Rotella T4, T5 or T6 in a shared sump motorcycle engine.
My same opinion.
 
Messages
6,674
Location
Katy, Republic of Texas
Originally Posted by ad244
Its on the bottle on their latest T6 15w-40
No it is not. Show me where it says Certified (not meets requirements of) JASO MA/MA2 on the bottle. Show me the JASO label on the bottle with the JASO number on it. This is what the bottle says: [Linked Image] And there is no JASO label that would look like this one on Honda oil: [Linked Image] Again, not saying it is not a good oil for motorcycles, because it is, but it is not a certified JASO MA/MA2 oil. Shell just says it is safe to use in JASO MA/MA2 applications, which we have probably millions of miles on bikes using this oil with no oil related issues. Those that seem to get their panties in a wad over this need to get over it. Use it with no concerns, but if you use it and there is any issue that could be even slightly related to oil and bike is under warranty, you are probably out of luck.
 
Messages
710
Location
Colorado, USA
Shell would not put it on there if they were absolutely certain it would do everything it needs to. This horse is so dead it's starting to smell.
 
Messages
6,854
Location
California
Rotella meets the JASO MA/MA2 spec, but doesn't have a formal approval. My reasoning is that motorcycles have shared sumps with the engine and gearbox and those clutches won't be happy with a SM/SN energy conserving oil with friction modifiers. Allison did call for C-4 fluid in a number of off-road trannies that a HDEO can satisfy that spec. Since the friction requirements between JASO MA and Allison C-4(TES-489) are probably close, Shell decided to list that as a self-ceritification.
 
Messages
710
Location
Colorado, USA
Reality is, if it concerns anyone in the least, don't use it. Asking the question again and trying to regurgitate it doesn't change what has been the case for a long time. And that is the oil works just fine. Take it or leave it. Cheers2
 
Messages
4,228
Location
South Carolina
Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by ad244
Its on the bottle on their latest T6 15w-40
No it is not. Show me where it says Certified (not meets requirements of) JASO MA/MA2 on the bottle. Show me the JASO label on the bottle with the JASO number on it. This is what the bottle says: [Linked Image] And there is no JASO label that would look like this one on Honda oil: [Linked Image] Again, not saying it is not a good oil for motorcycles, because it is, but it is not a certified JASO MA/MA2 oil. Shell just says it is safe to use in JASO MA/MA2 applications, which we have probably millions of miles on bikes using this oil with no oil related issues. Those that seem to get their panties in a wad over this need to get over it. Use it with no concerns, but if you use it and there is any issue that could be even slightly related to oil and bike is under warranty, you are probably out of luck.
Exactly ^^^ Shell has never been published as a Jaso Oil on the Jaso website. Shell does not print the Jaso symbol on its bottles for that reason. With that said, Jaso states something along the lines of the oil company REGISTERING their oil that it complies with Jaso standards so I am not so sure that Jaso actually tests and "approves" oils vs the companies registering as it meets their requirements. Either way, Im sure its all good if the oil company is stating it does but I do agree 100% that is it not a Jaso MA oil unless the oil is published on Jasos website and carries the Jaso symbol. I pointed this out many times about Mobile 1 oils too where Valvolines bottles has the actual Jaso symbol on some of their oils, I think the 20/50 or maybe the 10/40 4 stroke ( I forgot which one since my current bike doesnt require it)
 
Last edited:
Messages
4,228
Location
South Carolina
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Rotella T4 15w40 and T6 5w40 are both JASO MA/MA2 certified. I use it in two honda ranchers with electronic shift.
No its not ^^ read above^^ You will not find the Jaso MA trademark symbol on a bottle of Shell Rotella oil.
 
Messages
550
Location
Washington State
Thread starter
The reason I raised the concern is regarding warranty approval for a suspect lube failure. If the Motorcycle OEM specified that a JASO MA oil was needed, and a non-registered JASO oil was all that was recorded as being used, the risk for claim denial may be higher. Not a relevant concern for many as I am sure a lot of us are riding bikes well out of warranty. And of course not saying Rotella isnt a quality MC lube. Below is the MA2 approval markings I am accustom to seeing. Includes the registration number. [Linked Image]
 
Messages
1,186
Location
California
I also have understood that if it doesn't have the JASO label on it, that it meets the specs but is not officially approved or certified. In other words, the oil manufacturer states that the oil provides equivalent performance but won't ponying up for the cost of testing and certification. I'm pretty sure Shell would not put its reputation on the line unless the product is very good. Thousands of motorcyclists can attest to the good value and performance. Use Rotella MA/MA2 oils with confidence.
 
Top