Did/Do you work more than 40 hrs on a regular basis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hourly in IT, anything over 40 hours is 1.5x pay. I usually clock in 45-46 hours a week.

When I worked for others, I often put in more than 40 hours a week.

When I had my own business, I put in WAY more hours per week, often every day for months on end regardless of holidays or birthdays, along with constant stress. But the hard work and sacrifice made it a success, and I retired early.

Now in my hobby I put in a lot of time and travel. But I'm well compensated and since I'm contracting my services out, I utilize all applicable tax laws. I can walk away at any time if I want.

In the past few weeks, I've gone from being an hourly employee to salaried. Our standard workweek at my work is 37.5 hours.

As an hourly employee, I had a written agreement that going up to 40 hours without approval was okay, and I did it almost every week. Overtime(over 40 hours) did require approval, but 50-60 hour weeks ever other month or so weren't uncommon. It's from a combination of two things-the first is that I'm often doing things chromatography method development, and to be honest you really can't rush it(it doesn't matter how efficiently I work-the gas chromatograph is still going to take its time). Also, there are times where I'm legitimately required to be there in a support role, and that can be 10 hour days, not to mention my other regular duties.

Since switching to salaried, my work week really hasn't changed-I just don't have to ask for permission! Through an informal agreement with my supervisor, after a couple of back to back 50-60 hour weeks I'll usually take either a partial or full Monday off assuming there's nothing that requires my physical preference on that particular day. Monday is the day of choice for that for scheduling reasons of other things that go on at work.

I love the ot!
More than 10 each day is 1.5
Friday's and Saturday's are 1.5
Sunday's are double
Holidays are normal plus double.
All call outs are double.
In the power industry you can work national disasters and international disasters. The agreed upon pay starts from the hour you leave your shop till the hour you return to your shop. Pay is around the clock non stop.
They will work your A off 14-16 hr days and your hurtin. Hard work in terrible conditions but when the lights are back on it's an amazing amazing rush of self satisfaction! Spent 45 days working sandy and 3 weeks in rico. Not going on any more storm jobs like that after rico. Biggest bunch of dependent people I've ever seen!

Originally Posted by opus1
Sadly, yes. Nights, weekends, holidays included, and I'm not in any sort of life-or-death position. This from a company that crows about its work-life balance.

And my coworkers wonder why I play the lottery.

Forgot to mention, this is unpaid OT...

Originally Posted by Ws6

How the heck you charge for driving to work? Call out, I get...but driving to the hospital? Jeez. I've put 19k miles on my car in the last 8mo (most of it to work). Tell me how you dont get audited for this!

I was self employed and the rules are different when you're self employed. And this was in Canada where the rules may be somewhat different.

None-the-less, just as you say, driving to work is not tax deductible. My first trip of the day was always to the hospital. Driving after that would be considered a tax deductible expense. And I had a lot of it (next stop usually my clinic which was across town, then nursing homes, house calls, noon meetings back at the hospital, work sites, emergency room visits, labour and delivery, and on and on).

Finally I only claimed a modest % of the total cost as a business expense, which I could have supported had I been audited. It was quite legitimate.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
Originally Posted by Ws6

How the heck you charge for driving to work? Call out, I get...but driving to the hospital? Jeez. I've put 19k miles on my car in the last 8mo (most of it to work). Tell me how you dont get audited for this!

I was self employed and the rules are different when you're self employed. And this was in Canada where the rules may be somewhat different.

None-the-less, just as you say, driving to work is not tax deductible. My first trip of the day was always to the hospital. Driving after that would be considered a tax deductible expense. And I had a lot of it (next stop usually my clinic which was across town, then nursing homes, house calls, noon meetings back at the hospital, work sites, emergency room visits, labour and delivery, and on and on).

Finally I only claimed a modest % of the total cost as a business expense, which I could have supported had I been audited. It was quite legitimate.

Figures. My CPA was correct in my case. *my surprised face*

Originally Posted by P10crew
I love the ot!
Sunday's are double
In the power industry you can work national disasters and international disasters. The agreed upon pay starts from the hour you leave your shop till the hour you return to your shop. Pay is around the clock non stop.
They will work your A off 14-16 hr days and your hurtin. Hard work in terrible conditions but when the lights are back on it's an amazing amazing rush of self satisfaction! Spent 45 days working sandy and 3 weeks in rico. Not going on any more storm jobs like that after rico. Biggest bunch of dependent people I've ever seen!

Love you guys and gals!

32 hours per week now - Four 8-hour days. I have worked 40 and 48 hour weeks in the past but decided I don't wanna...and I'm the boss...so I don't haveta.

I work 40 hours a week at my regular job/career in technology. There are opportunities for overtime, but I make more with my side business when I'm not at work to justify doing the overtime.

Originally Posted by P10crew
I love the ot!
Sunday's are double

Oh man that is sweet!

For us, you have to be over 40hrs for 1.5x pay. No extra for night shift or weekends, but holidays are 2.5x pay and we get paid 8hrs for holidays we don't work. I've picked up all the OT I can for the past 23yrs. Makes a big difference for the 401k, etc.

Out of curiosity, what is it with one particular poster wanting to know about peoples' savings, retirement, living and working habits, and a bunch of other somewhat personal information?

It comes across weirdly personal, and almost fishing for identity information to me...

We get $300 for on call weekly even if you don't get called in. Each call is automatically 4 hours OT.

I have an LLC that is my side business where I buy used medical equipment, refurbish it and sell it.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
We get $300 for on call weekly even if you don't get called in. Each call is automatically 4 hours OT.

I have an LLC that is my side business where I buy used medical equipment, refurbish it and sell it.

Nice.

I did software support for a while and when we were paged we got an hourly rate during the day, and if the call came overnight, you were guaranteed a minimum of 1 hour even if the call took only 10 minutes. One night the pager went off and when I called in to get the details from the overnight message-taker he realized he'd paged the wrong group, but since I got paged/woke, I got an hour's pay for calling in. I asked if he could do that again in another hour or so.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by opus1
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Nice.

I did software support for a while and when we were paged we got an hourly rate during the day, and if the call came overnight, you were guaranteed a minimum of 1 hour even if the call took only 10 minutes. One night the pager went off and when I called in to get the details from the overnight message-taker he realized he'd paged the wrong group, but since I got paged/woke, I got an hour's pay for calling in. I asked if he could do that again in another hour or so.
lol.gif

When I worked in IT, we had people on the help desk who were hourly and the state law required that if you had to come in, you got paid for 3 hours of work even if it was only 15 minutes. A few of the help desk guys had calls like that, a quick 15 minute or half hour fix after hours and they got 3 hours of pay. Too bad I was a manager, we were exempt.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
Out of curiosity, what is it with one particular poster wanting to know about peoples' savings, retirement, living and working habits, and a bunch of other somewhat personal information?

It comes across weirdly personal, and almost fishing for identity information to me...

They are a little weird, but not many people here make it obvious who they are in real life so you have a bunch of stories from people, but good luck figuring out who it actually is, it's not like facebook. They're sorta like questions you'd like to know but wouldn't normally ask in polite company.

For instance, I haven't seen this question yet, but do you know how much your friends make? I know what most of my close friends make. I do have a few who won't tell me.

I know MANY people that are working 60 hours a week just to survive, and many of these have two or even three jobs.
While a few people actually LIKE working those hours most absolutely do not, since you really have no time to have a real life.

Seems like the USA is slowly slipping into a feudalistic society.

40 hours...salaried.

Early on in my working life I asked many retired folks about the thing they wished the most that they could do-over concerning their working career....none of them said they wished they worked more. Most of them said they would not work more hours than a normal work week of 40 hours. Virtually every one said they wished they would have spent more time with family and that in retrospect despite the money it wasn't worth it.

That was 20 years ago, I took that as advice to heart and consequently since then ....... I work to live, not the other way around.

I have zero debt...not even a mortgage...so it can be done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back